Godzilla vs Megalon or Godzilla vs Gigan?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Which film do you prefer? (Not necessarily better)

Godzilla vs Gigan
72%
Godzilla vs Megalon
28%

Total votes: 57

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Re: Godzilla vs Megalon or Godzilla vs Gigan?

Post by Anguirus »

Godzilla vs Megalon is more fun to watch, Gigan is the better made movie in my opinion. But i went with Megalon.

Gonzilla
Yojimbo

Post by Gonzilla »

Godzilla vs Gigan, unless I'm allowed to watch the MST3K Godzilla Vs Megalon.

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

Godzilla vs. Gigan is a more serious as Godzilla vs. Megalon is the complete opposite but i'm not too sure which to pick as both films have that 1970's feel to them... oh heck i'll pick Megalon for now since I love the opening credit music.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've never seen the MST3K g vs Megalon.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Gonzilla
Yojimbo

Post by Gonzilla »

edgaguirus wrote:I've never seen the MST3K g vs Megalon.
It's a lot of fun as MST3K goes, and has the highly memorable Godzilla Genealogy Bop. I'd link a Youtube, but Toho has copyright claimed the video. xD It was very briefly on DVD before being recalled because apparently the licensors MST3K worked with didn't have the authority to sublicense them the way they did.
Last edited by Gonzilla on Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Gigan for me! I usually have more fun with that one. I've warmed up to Megalon a lot over the years, but it's still not one I reach for much. Gigan, meanwhile, I go back to again and again! ^_^

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Gonzilla wrote:
It's a lot of fun as MST3K goes, and has the highly memorable Godzilla Genealogy Bop. I'd link a Youtube, but Toho has copyright claimed the video. xD It was very briefly on DVD before being recalled because apparently the licensors MST3K worked with didn't have the authority to sublicense them the way they did.
The Genealogy Bop was in the next episode, with Godzilla versus the Sea Monster. The Megalon episode has the Rex Dart "song" and the Jet Jaguar sing-a-long though.

And Ed, both MST3K Godzillas are easy to find online. I think they might be archived somewhere on the internet.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Gigan, pretty easily. Like most people have said, fun story, charming human characters. Plus barring the stock footage it has one of the best final battles of the series and the team dynamic is great.

Also, the refinery destruction and the battle in it is fucking gorgeous.

Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Terasawa wrote:
Gonzilla wrote:
The Genealogy Bop was in the next episode, with Godzilla versus the Sea Monster. The Megalon episode has the Rex Dart "song" and the Jet Jaguar sing-a-long though.

And Ed, both MST3K Godzillas are easy to find online. I think they might be archived somewhere on the internet.
I've found a couple of clips from the MST3K G vs Megalon on Youtube; Primarily the one where the bots are talking about made up kaiju.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I personally think that if they had a bigger budget for Gigan and could afford to hire someone to compose a new score, I doubt Ifukube would've been up for it at the time.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^ I agree, but I think they would have asked him as their first choice. Godzilla vs. Gigan was Tanaka's, Fukuda's, and Nakano's attempt to capture the feel of the mid '60s Godzilla movies on a shoestring budget. The stock Ifukube score does most of the work.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote:I personally think that if they had a bigger budget for Gigan and could afford to hire someone to compose a new score, I doubt Ifukube would've been up for it at the time.
Gigan's score was fine, it's a low budget Godzilla film but everything in it adds to the film as a whole.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Despite the low budget, all the elements fit together well.

gomezm6
Ronin

Post by gomezm6 »

Sorry to those who like Megalon, I will always have a soft spot for Gigan. First, it was one of the first Godzilla VHS's (1993 Starmaker version) and DVD's I obtained, and I just find the story much better along with some better characters (though it is glaring sometimes that they are always wearing the same clothing throughout the film). I've never been a fan with films that rely too much with young kids (like the brother in Megalon). Second, while the stock footage is glaring, and while it is completely stock music, you can't beat the Akira Ifukube music for Gigan, with almost a Greatest Hits type of soundtrack (can't wait till the soundtrack is available on iTunes). Third, again the stock footage are issues, there are certain good model work and action such as the pier and oil refinery sets. Finally, the monster action is good, and the four monsters have been some of my favorite kaiju ever, with Godzilla, Anguirius, King Ghidorah, and Gigan. I love Gigan, and sometimes I think the original Gigan suit (from Godzilla vs. Gigan) is better than the Final Wars re-design. I think Megalon also did not do Gigan justice (the suit was of a lower class).

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Personally the stock footage prevented me from enjoying either of these movies all that much. Creative Kaiju foes and I know the Showa era usually had repeating shots, but damn it did it get really tedious here.

Of the two I guess Gigan just because I found the kung fu girlfriend to be hilarious/amazing even if it has the WORST Ghidorah of all time. Every other version of the Showa character and other incarnations are better than this one.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Gigan was the second Godzilla movie i ever watched, so it has a special place in my heart. That said, Megalon has Jet Jaguar...

Decisions, decisions...
Last edited by Jermobooka on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

I honestly dislike both, but I will hand this one to VS Gigan. Even though GVG has crude and ugly-looking visuals, those strange Godzilla speaking scenes, and one of the lesser Ifukabe soundtracks, it at least introduced a cool new monster, had one of the more interesting human stories, and was never truly boring. GVM, on the other hand, is just much worse, courtesy of Jet Jaguar alone. I am not sure if the Jet Jaguar love is genuine, or some in-joke I am not in on, but I truly find JJ to be unpalatable, and the incarnation of why I tend to dislike robotic Kaiju,or just intentionally goofy Kaiju in general. I do think Megalon itself is a good design, but everything else about GVM just turns me off. All things considered, I consider it my second-least-favorite Showa G-film.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Keizer wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:55 am GVM, on the other hand, is just much worse, courtesy of Jet Jaguar alone. I am not sure if the Jet Jaguar love is genuine, or some in-joke I am not in on, but I truly find JJ to be unpalatable, and the incarnation of why I tend to dislike robotic Kaiju,or just intentionally goofy Kaiju in general.
https://youtu.be/t4PE9k25TEY
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I chose Megalon, but will honestly have to give Gigan a rewatch as it has been a long time since I saw it last.

I think I actually saw Megalon first but Gigan shortly after. Both were good for their own reasons but I can't say no to Jet Jaguar. :JetJaguar:
Even Anguirus makes a cameo in Megalon, albeit a brief one :lol:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:38 am Just realized that nobody has mentioned how thoroughly Gigan wallops Megalon with regard to production design.

God, it's just so much better looking overall...
This is absolutely true, but I also like how Megalon looks like the TV tokusatsu shows it was emulating. It's got that ugly rural Kamen Rider aesthetic.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.