Showa-ified Kaiju

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

If you would have a sequel to the Showa movies, what past kaiju would you Showa-fy?

Biollante
9%
SpaceGodzilla
23%
Battra
4%
Destoroyah
15%
Mecha-King Ghidorah
17%
Monster X
4%
The MUTOs
6%
Behemoth
4%
Scylla
No votes
Methuselah
2%
Mechagodzilla/Kiryu (Earth Creation)
No votes
Moguera (Earth Creation)
No votes
Orga
6%
Megaguirus
4%
Dagahra
No votes
Desghidorah
No votes
Zilla
No votes
Servum
No votes
Other forms of Godzilla (Burning, Thermonuclear, etc)
No votes
Mothra Leo
2%
Skullcrawlers
No votes
Trilopods (Regular or Magita)
No votes
Godzilla Jr
No votes
Bagan (eww)
2%

Total votes: 47

Voyager
Keizer

Showa-ified Kaiju

Post by Voyager »

This is hard for me because I can a way many of these would tie into the Showa continuity. Top contenders for me are SpaceGodzilla and Mecha KG. Godzilla has tussled with aliens many times, and it'd be no surprise if that when they escaped, G cells attached to their body after Godzilla grappled them, would be let out into the abyss. And maybe a few could find their way into a black hole. Maybe it's Gigan or KG that carry them up there.

And Mecha KG would be pretty cool. Maybe some aliens dug up KG's corpse and then converted him, or maybe the JSDF do it. There was an old artwork done by Yuji Kaida in the early 1980s and that could be the design if they wanted to do a fully robotic Ghidorah. Though I prefer the cyborg Ghidorah and not a fully robotic one.

I'm going to go with Mecha KG on this one but SpaceG is a close contender.
For Emperor and Empire!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Showa-ified Kaiju

Post by BlankAccount »

Mecha-King Ghidorah, awesome design, awesome background, awesome party hard.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Oddly enough, Space Godzilla. I don't even like him that much but I'm just picturing a Showa-esq Space Godzilla that uses the MegaroGoji suit as a base and I can dig it.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Oddly enough, Space Godzilla. I don't even like him that much but I'm just picturing a Showa-esq Space Godzilla that uses the MegaroGoji suit as a base and I can dig it.
I would be totally on-board with that, and it does feel like a very Showa-friendly concept.

I opted for Battra, though. I'd love to see Battra featured in a Showa-era sequel to the original Mothra.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

eabaker wrote: I opted for Battra, though. I'd love to see Battra featured in a Showa-era sequel to the original Mothra.
I'd like that a lot, too. I was debating between picking Battra and Space Godzilla.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I picked Mecha-King Ghidorah because I thought the Showa King Ghidorah would be cool as a cyborg.

And in a way, we kinda-sorta got this in the IDW mainstream storyline because, even though that version of King Ghidorah/Mecha-King Ghidorah may have looked like the Heisei one, I believe he was meant to be the Showa one right from the beginning since we saw him at least once in outer space in Godzilla: Rulers of Earth.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue May 05, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

mikelcho wrote:I picked Mecha-King Ghidorah because I thought the Showa King Ghidorah would be cool as a cyborg.

And in a way, we kinda-sorta got this in the IDW mainstream storyline because, even though that version of King Ghidorah/Mecha-King Ghidorah may have looked like the Heisei one, I believe he was meant to be the Showa one since we saw him at least once in outer space in Godzilla: Rulers of Earth.
Same is true with this book.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Living Corpse wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I picked Mecha-King Ghidorah because I thought the Showa King Ghidorah would be cool as a cyborg.

And in a way, we kinda-sorta got this in the IDW mainstream storyline because, even though that version of King Ghidorah/Mecha-King Ghidorah may have looked like the Heisei one, I believe he was meant to be the Showa one since we saw him at least once in outer space in Godzilla: Rulers of Earth.
Same is true with this book.

Yes, I forgot all about that book!

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Spacegodzilla wouldn't be a bad fit for being Showafied (and would probably have a less confusing origin too), but I can easily see Battra, Orga, Monster X, and Behemoth fitting in well with the Showa roster as well.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm just imagining a dopey looking Showa Orga stumbling around and i'm laughing much more than i should lol.

Behemoth and Scylla would also fit pretty well. Not like arachnid and elephant kaiju can't be done.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

I sorta vibe with the concept that Showa Orga would be like, the third member of the Gigan-Megalon dynamic. Like, he's just another big, dumb, alien brute that helps them out as opposed to a big headlining monster

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Megalon-5 wrote:I sorta vibe with the concept that Showa Orga would be like, the third member of the Gigan-Megalon dynamic. Like, he's just another big, dumb, alien brute that helps them out as opposed to a big headlining monster
Aren't his hands just a little too much like... you know, hands? ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Heck even if he still had the same insane origin, Spacegodzilla would fit in the late Showa whackyness. Let's not forget, even if Mechagodzilla was built here on Earth his creators still come from, and I quote, "the third planet of the black hole". Oh and they're space apes. Kong was responsible for Mechagodzilla all along! Damn dirty ape!

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

eabaker wrote:
Megalon-5 wrote:I sorta vibe with the concept that Showa Orga would be like, the third member of the Gigan-Megalon dynamic. Like, he's just another big, dumb, alien brute that helps them out as opposed to a big headlining monster
Aren't his hands just a little too much like... you know, hands? ;)
Just give him a big knife and we're good.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I chose Biollante. Just thought it would be cool to see a monster like that showing up in the Showa series.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Although I voted for MKG I think a JSDF Mechagodzilla or MOGUERA would be cool. Or maybe even re-use the Kiryu concept and tweak it to make it better.
For Emperor and Empire!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'm trying to picture a Showa Destoroyah and i can't, therefore that's the one i'd love to see.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Megaguirus gets my vote.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Since there's a lot of talk about a showa era space godzilla, here are some crude fan art I found while doing some quick googling.

Resized Image
Resized Image
Now that I'm on the subject here are some other fun ones I've found

Suitmation Muto (I love it!)
Resized Image
Showa Megaguirus
Resized Image
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Fuck you I chose Bagan :lol: I figure he'd look a bit like Tsunojiras from Godman/Greenman, but with a few more spiky bits here and there.

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock