Showa Series: Head Canon & Theories

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Showa Series: Head Canon & Theories

Post by Terasawa »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:And how do you be the biggest fan of a character and NOT see the films he's in?
I guess because you live in relative poverty in industrial Japan and usually have to make do with what's on TV or use your own imagination. ;) Yeah I guess it's a reach, but it also doesn't look like Ichiro is fortunate enough to go to every new Godzilla movie when it hits town. I just thought it could be interpreted as another indication of the lives Ichiro and his family live.

I'm with you about the ambiguity of the film's setting. Growing up, I never envisioned it taking place anywhere but the Showa Godzilla universe. I think there are merits to both arguments but the film isn't clear one way or the other. And I'm not going to blindly take the word of some Japanese author publishing a book in 2014, or whatever.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I popped in the Criterion Blu to see, and the line in Janus' subs is "Liar! You've never seen him!". So that COULD indicate Minya is in fact real, and Ichiro's acting like he's seen him in-person.

But on the other hand, it could just be childlike teasing. Like say some kid says "He sounds like Dracula!", and the other replies "Have you ever MET Dracula?!"
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Thu May 14, 2020 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Like, why would you imitate something that doesn't exist?
When i was a kid I used to imitate Godzilla when I played monster fights with my friends in the neighborood.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Like, why would you imitate something that doesn't exist?
When i was a kid I used to imitate Godzilla when I played monster fights with my friends in the neighborood.
I misunderstood what you were saying.

It makes perfect sense to imitate a character.

The Cthullu thing and the way you worded it made me think you were implying Minilla didn't exist AT ALL. Like he was a legend.

I will agree it could be childlike teasing or not being able to afford seeing it. I just err on the side of "it happened", mostly because I'd doubt Toho would allow a film that subversive ;)
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Thu May 14, 2020 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP Evan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I wanted to note that Rodan 1956 easily could be in the same universe as Godzilla 1954.
The area Rodan destroys is far removed from the area and Region Godzilla destroys in 1954.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukuoka_Prefecture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Aso

Considering both Rodan and GTTHM both have the same director and producer, I do not think it is a stretch to say that it takes place in the same continuity. It would also explain why the military is so readily available to fight monsters, and why actually there isn't as much questioning of what is going on. Rodan most likely was never intended to be part of something greater, but it's believable that GTHHM does assert that Rodan does exist in the same continuity, especially because Rodan comes from Mt. Aso.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I wanted to note that Rodan 1956 easily could be in the same universe as Godzilla 1954.
The area Rodan destroys is far removed from the area and Region Godzilla destroys in 1954.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukuoka_Prefecture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Aso

Considering both Rodan and GTTHM both have the same director and producer, I do not think it is a stretch to say that it takes place in the same continuity. It would also explain why the military is so readily available to fight monsters, and why actually there isn't as much questioning of what is going on. Rodan most likely was never intended to be part of something greater, but it's believable that GTHHM does assert that Rodan does exist in the same continuity, especially because Rodan comes from Mt. Aso.
Do you think the Rodan that emerged from Mount Aso was one of the two from Rodan (the male, presuming they were a mated pair) or a third one?

I think it's the former.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

^ I think its the fully grown baby.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:^ I think its the fully grown baby.
That one grows to be one of the two in film but that would be a neat nod.

Ad for Rodan his appearance is treated as if he and Godzilla are both equally worst case scenarios. If the 56 film didn't happen I don't think Japan would have them on an equal threat level.

Godzilla and Rodan are treated like old foes returning and Ghidorah is a new monster for example.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

The adults appeared pretty damn quick after the baby hatched. I just cant see the baby growing to adulthood that quickly. Thats why I always assumed that it was the baby of the two adults. Plus there is no way the adults would survive being roasted alive in a volcano. As well, having one survive would demean the ending since one of the Rodans literally committed suicide to join its dying mate.
Thats why I always figured the Rodan from 1964 was the fully grown baby from 1956.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

mikelcho wrote:Do you think the Rodan that emerged from Mount Aso was one of the two from Rodan (the male, presuming they were a mated pair) or a third one?
I think it's the former.
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:The adults appeared pretty damn quick after the baby hatched. I just cant see the baby growing to adulthood that quickly. Thats why I always assumed that it was the baby of the two adults. Plus there is no way the adults would survive being roasted alive in a volcano. As well, having one survive would demean the ending since one of the Rodans literally committed suicide to join its dying mate.
Thats why I always figured the Rodan from 1964 was the fully grown baby from 1956.
My response is,”¯\_(ツ)_/¯”

I think both interpretations are completely valid. Having seen the film last week, the Japanese dub doesn’t really clarify the relationships between the two Rodan’s that die at the end of the film, and it’s a “nest” (whether they are parent and child, or mates). There could easily have been more eggs, even if that’s not the specific Rodan we see in GTTHM.

I think it’s why the Meganulon’s inclusion bothers me less and les, the idea isn’t that there’s a singular Rodan, but rather the mine system, and nearby Mt. Aso contain a plethora of monsters (not just one Rodan) that would be released, had the volcano not been discharged.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:the Japanese dub doesn’t really clarify the relationships between the two Rodan’s that die at the end of the film,
Its a male and female. The males name is "Rory" and the female is "Rhonda". They were childhood sweethearts since they graduated together from the class of 65 Million B.C.
In the modern era they had some rough patches especially when Rhonda accused Rory of seeing The Giant Claw behind her back (which BTW Rory denies), but ultimately their love came through at the end. Especially after the birth of their son "Ronald". That's what makes the ending so tragic. Ronald grew up alone without any parents. Do you blame him for attacking Godzilla in 1964?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Do you think the Rodan that emerged from Mount Aso was one of the two from Rodan (the male, presuming they were a mated pair) or a third one?
I think it's the former.
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:The adults appeared pretty damn quick after the baby hatched. I just cant see the baby growing to adulthood that quickly. Thats why I always assumed that it was the baby of the two adults. Plus there is no way the adults would survive being roasted alive in a volcano. As well, having one survive would demean the ending since one of the Rodans literally committed suicide to join its dying mate.
My response is,”¯\_(ツ)_/¯”

I think both interpretations are completely valid. Having seen the film last week, the Japanese dub doesn’t really clarify the relationships between the two Rodan’s that die at the end of the film, and it’s a “nest” (whether they are parent and child, or mates). There could easily have been more eggs, even if that’s not the specific Rodan we see in GTTHM.

I think it’s why the Meganulon’s inclusion bothers me less and les, the idea isn’t that there’s a singular Rodan, but rather the mine system, and nearby Mt. Aso contain a plethora of monsters (not just one Rodan) that would be released, had the volcano not been discharged.
What's that symbol at the top of your post, LSD? I can't speak or read Japanese, if that's what it is, so I don't know.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Japanese dialogue says something like “the volcanic gas is reviving Rodan,” with revive (fukkatsu) being the key word here. To me, that plus the location suggest it’s one of the same creatures from the first film.

If Shinichi Sekizawa wanted to imply it was a new Rodan he would have done so.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Giratina93
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Giratina93 »

mikelcho wrote:What's that symbol at the top of your post, LSD? I can't speak or read Japanese, if that's what it is, so I don't know.
That's just an emoji shrug.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

mikelcho wrote:What's that symbol at the top of your post, LSD? I can't speak or read Japanese, if that's what it is, so I don't know.
:shrug:

I always liked the "Rodan raised Baragon on Monsterland" theory... err, Toho-produced "fun fact". It's cute.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

I've always found the fact Rodan survives being blasted point blank by the atomic breath but people doubt it surviving the volcano kind of odd.

I agree with KaijuKing too. I think it's a cute little fun fact, that's extra sweet if you consider Rodan lost its family in the volcano
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

RIP Evan.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Megalon is actually the Showa Counterpart to Mothra, like Battra is in the Heisei Era.

They’re both giant insects worshipped like gods.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Megalon is actually the Showa Counterpart to Mothra, like Battra is in the Heisei Era.

Heisei Mothra is the god of the Cosmos people while Battra is a manifestation of the Earth's rage and opposition to the Cosmos' environmental machine. Battra had no worshippers, unlike both Showa Mothra and Megalon. I'm not sure that analogy completely works, although with some tweaking it would be an interesting way to bring Megalon back in future media.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Here's one, Infant Island was destroyed sometime between 1976 and 1999. Godzilla arrived to help Mothra but could only save the egg. That's why Mothra lives on Monster Land in DAM and Godzilla is her adopted father having come full circle in their relationship.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Terasawa wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:Megalon is actually the Showa Counterpart to Mothra, like Battra is in the Heisei Era.

Heisei Mothra is the god of the Cosmos people while Battra is a manifestation of the Earth's rage and opposition to the Cosmos' environmental machine. Battra had no worshippers, unlike both Showa Mothra and Megalon. I'm not sure that analogy completely works, although with some tweaking it would be an interesting way to bring Megalon back in future media.
I meant Showa Mothra is worshipped like how Megalon is. Not Battra.
For Emperor and Empire!