Showa Series: Head Canon & Theories

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Showa Series: Head Canon & Theories

Post by MaxRebo320 »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ should be added to the Kiryu Saga timeline.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:Japanese dialogue says something like “the volcanic gas is reviving Rodan,” with revive (fukkatsu) being the key word here. To me, that plus the location suggest it’s one of the same creatures from the first film.

If Shinichi Sekizawa wanted to imply it was a new Rodan he would have done so.
In GTHHM? Interesting.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Japanese dialogue says something like “the volcanic gas is reviving Rodan,” with revive (fukkatsu) being the key word here. To me, that plus the location suggest it’s one of the same creatures from the first film.

If Shinichi Sekizawa wanted to imply it was a new Rodan he would have done so.
In GTHHM? Interesting.
Old post.

The Criterion/Janus subs: Volcanic gas beneath the Earth's crust will reawaken Rodan.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Speaking of the Rodans my head canon was the one that went back into the Volcano was the one that survived in Gtthm.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

miguelnuva wrote:Speaking of the Rodans my head canon was the one that went back into the Volcano was the one that survived in Gtthm.
I wonder why one was able to survive and not the other. I guess for a kaiju lava is more like being hit by boiling hot water than the flesh melter it is to us, so one of them passed out but recovered from their injuries?

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Terasawa wrote:“the volcanic gas is reviving Rodan,” with revive (fukkatsu) being the key word here. To me, that plus the location suggest it’s one of the same creatures from the first film..
After the volcano destroyed the 2 adult Rodans their baby spent years growing into an adult feeding on the Meganuron colony, whos nest was in the same cavern.
Afterwards he went into hibernation mode sometime around 1959. He was then revived by the volcanic gas in 1964.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I mean, it’s the head canon thread... But I think that’s a big, big stretch based on what Rodan and Ghidrah give us.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

^ I know. It's just I'm not a fan of a Rodan surviving mainly because it demeans the ending. Next to King Kong the ending of Rodan always got to me. Especially when one of the Rodan literally commits suicide to join it's dying mate. Having one survive would just cheapen the ending in my opinion.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:^ I know. It's just I'm not a fan of a Rodan surviving mainly because it demeans the ending. Next to King Kong the ending of Rodan always got to me. Especially when one of the Rodan literally commits suicide to join it's dying mate. Having one survive would just cheapen the ending in my opinion.
Reviving the Rodan doesn't really Demean the ending. One Rodan is still going into Danger that should kill it to be with its dying mate. Rodan surviving that actually adds to the tragic fate as it wanted to die with its mate but it still ends up alive alone in the world with the people that caused it so much pain.

Then Godzilla shows up and calls it out.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:^ I know. It's just I'm not a fan of a Rodan surviving mainly because it demeans the ending. Next to King Kong the ending of Rodan always got to me. Especially when one of the Rodan literally commits suicide to join it's dying mate. Having one survive would just cheapen the ending in my opinion.
I think Rodan works a lot better as a one-off myself but obviously, the effort is made to make it fit even if it doesn't quite feel intended. It's something of a familiar pattern through the series with a great deal of the original incarnations of a specific monster either being killed off or reduced down to one.
Last edited by Crazy Jim Films on Sat May 16, 2020 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Crazy Jim Films wrote:
I think Rodan works a lot better as a one-off myself but obviously, the effort is made to make it fit even if it doesn't quite feel intended. It's something of a familiar pattern through the series with a great deal of the original incarnations of a specific monster either being killed off or reduced down to one.
The Showa series was great at making movies feel like one offs and then finding a way to cross them over without it being set that way. Mothra 61 doesn't have to happen before Mothra vs Godzilla but not really contradicts it and it adds to the film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

miguelnuva wrote: The Showa series was great at making movies feel like one offs and then finding a way to cross them over without it being set that way. Mothra 61 doesn't have to happen before Mothra vs Godzilla but not really contradicts it and it adds to the film.
I don't know if I would call it "great" at it. I think it managed to make movies that were so enjoyable to its target audience that they easily forgave what I would view, in hindsight, as some extremely sloppy retroactive universe building.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I believe that Showa Godzilla, is actually a different sub species than G54.

Here are some things to note.

Physical Appearance: Showa has more reptilian features, lack of fangs, no external ears, more defined and even dorsal fins, smooth skin on the underside of the tail, three-toed feet, differently strutted hands, differently shaped chest, the list goes on.

Behaviour and Intelligence: Showa has an intelligence to his personality. Where as G54 does it out of revenge, which is no small feat for intelligence but some regular animals can have this feeling, Showa Does it out of malice, especially in Mothra vs Godzilla.

Movement: Where as G54’s sub species of Gojira is slow and lumbering, Showa’s sub species can be up and ready, quite agile in some cases, isn’t as stiff as G54.

But hey, this is just a theory.

[size=85][color=green]Added in 2 months 7 days 1 hour 13 minutes 31 seconds:[/color][/size]

Space Amoeba takes place in the early 50s. This is based off of the character’s attire and the lack of knowledge of monsters.
Last edited by Voyager on Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

VoyagerGoji wrote:Space Amoeba takes place in the early 50s. This is based off of the character’s attire and the lack of knowledge of monsters.
What makes you think the clothing is early 50s? I think the styles are all very contemporary to the film's release.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

If you like to say Space Amoeba is set in the same continuity as the Showa Godzilla movies, I don't know if there's a real "lack of knowledge" about the monsters - there's simply denial that monsters are on the island. Which is certainly something land developers would want to think. Also, the whole plot of the movie (Land developers wanting to build a resort on a remote island) feels a lot more at home in a sprawling capitalistic Japan as opposed to an early 50s occupied one...
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Here's my Head Canon origin story for King Ghidorah.

At the beginning of time, there was a planet inhabited by Dragons. These were peaceful creatures. They came in many shapes and sizes, and they all lived in harmony. They were wise and powerful and didn't hesitate to protect the smaller inhabitants of the world. Everyone was content with their life.

Except one, whose name was Ghidorah. He wasn't happy with his current life, the peaceful life. He had a desire for power. A dirty little thought then poisoned his mind, and that's how death and destruction were born. He attacked a fellow dragon and killed the creature. He could feel the power running through him, so he kept going. He slaughtered every other dragon who resided on the planet, and as a result, he grew more powerful. The life force had not only granted him great strength but seemingly immortality. Over the next 12 billion years he ravaged every planet in the universe.

Ghidorah was gifted three manes and three crowns atop his head. He became King Ghidorah.
For Emperor and Empire!

KaijuDude810
Yojimbo

Post by KaijuDude810 »

Main Heacanon: 1968-1975 Godzilla films take place chronologically. I think it kind of works better thematically than DAM being the last film.

Headcanon's that stem off from the main headcanon:
[*]After DAM, Minilla grows up to be the next Godzilla. This explains why Minilla isn't anywhere to be seen after Godzilla's Revenge. This is also why he can be seen speaking in Godzilla vs. Gigan, as he did in Revenge (despite it being ambiguously canon to the timeline). Despite the reuse of the Soshingeki suit from 71 to 72, the new Godzilla has a much friendlier design and personality. He's also seen willingly going out of his way to save humanity, and even works with them at some points, rather than reluctantly working with them because the world itself is threatened.
[*]After King Ghidorah is defeated in DAM, the M Space Hunter Nebula Aliens, who have the unique skill of cybernetically enhancing organisms, revived him. Since most of King Ghidorah's wounds were internal, external repairs/enhancements were not necessary. However, it should be observed that King Ghidorah's cackle in vs. Gigan is noticeably more warbled and robotic. This effect is even more noticeably present in Zone Fighter. His heads are also completely reconstructed with synthetic skin, similarly to fake Godzilla. As a small side note, I believe an earlier draft of Godzilla vs. Gigan contained the subtitle "The Return of King Ghidorah." I think that subtitle works well if the context is that he returns from his death in DAM.
[*]2nd Generation Anguirus, who has been Minilla's best friend since DAM, is fatally wounded by Mechagodzilla. This in turn makes New Godzilla behave much more aggressively in Terror of MG. He is distraught at the loss of his best friend since childhood.
[*]The end of Terror of Mechagodzilla is quite a nice one when you look at it in this context. The film is structured much more like the earlier Showa films, signifying Minilla filling the role as a true successor to his father.

Of course, there are probably some discrepancies and loose contradictions to this, but it's not necessarily supposed to be taken too seriously or as 100% truth. I think it overall works a bit better thematically rather than having Minilla disappear halfway through only to show up again 20-something years later as the same age.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Just like how Godzilla represented the United States, I believe Anguirus and Rodan from the early films represent the Soviet Union, and Ghidorah, might even represent China.
For Emperor and Empire!

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Living Corpse wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:20 am Titanosaurs' fate is an unsolved mystery in universe with no one knowing if he is dead or alive.
Perhaps his body was transported to another dimension when he falls (his death happens too quickly that it makes me convinced something else could be at work here).
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

AllosaurHell wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:06 am
Living Corpse wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 2:20 am Titanosaurs' fate is an unsolved mystery in universe with no one knowing if he is dead or alive.
Perhaps his body was transported to another dimension when he falls (his death happens too quickly that it makes me convinced something else could be at work here).
Godzilla blew a hole through his chest then he exploded in the water. Poor guy is dead.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image