Showa Series: Head Canon & Theories

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Legendary Minya
Monarch Researcher

Re: Showa Series: Head Canon & Theories

Post by Legendary Minya »

VoyagerGoji wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:21 pm I believe that Showa Godzilla, is actually a different sub species than G54.

Here are some things to note.

Physical Appearance: Showa has more reptilian features, lack of fangs, no external ears, more defined and even dorsal fins, smooth skin on the underside of the tail, three-toed feet, differently strutted hands, differently shaped chest, the list goes on.

Behaviour and Intelligence: Showa has an intelligence to his personality. Where as G54 does it out of revenge, which is no small feat for intelligence but some regular animals can have this feeling, Showa Does it out of malice, especially in Mothra vs Godzilla.

Movement: Where as G54’s sub species of Gojira is slow and lumbering, Showa’s sub species can be up and ready, quite agile in some cases, isn’t as stiff as G54.

But hey, this is just a theory.

Added in 2 months 7 days 1 hour 13 minutes 31 seconds:

Space Amoeba takes place in the early 50s. This is based off of the character’s attire and the lack of knowledge of monsters.
I'll do you one better; here's mine. G54 (which I will refer to as "Gojira" from now on) was Female. 55-75 ("Godzilla") was the male.

Here's my extended headcanon - Gojira and Godzilla were living peacefully on Solgel Island. Nuclear tests and such were disturbing them (humans were getting too close to their breeding ground, the egg containing Minya had already been laid and we'll just have to accept that Godzillasaurus - or whatever their species is in this timeline - eggs take forever to hatch) Certain animals in the real world have more aggressive/deadlier females...well, Godzilla stayed on the island with the egg while Gojira left to investigate/protect the island. Then the events of Gojira happened and the female was killed. Godzilla left the island to search for her, got caught up in a storm that left him stranded on the island with Anguirus in 1955, and then we're off to the races.
"HOW DO YA LIKE THAT, WEIRDO?!!?"

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

I used to think the latter Showa Godzilla (1967 onwards) was a mammal, specifically a kind of primatomorph, specifically a kind of Plesiadapiform. Must have been the face.
Last edited by Al Diplodocus on Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

A few regarding the human cast from 1954/1956. Dr. Daisuke Serizawa might have been a WW2 veteran and was a medical doctor before being drafted. Given his anti-war stance, he might have been an unwilling draftee as a medic. It was in the conflicts he witnessed the mass human suffering and dreamed up creating something that could alleviate it. When he was taken out of action by a shrapnel blast that cost him his eye, he devoted himself to research on oxygen especially after the atomic bombing. We see in the Heisei series that micro-oxygen can have benevolent applications and perhaps Serizawa's idea was almost akin to a 'healing bomb', a device that, when set off, would allow cells to metabolize much faster than normal due to boosted oxygen levels and speed up the healing process. It was only afterwards when he got further into the research he was devastated to find out it was extremely easy to turn his 'medical miracle' into a weapon.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Several concerning Red Bamboo and Ebirah

- Ookondoru acted as the Red Bamboo guardian from the sky, doing a similar thing to what Ebirah was doing but with planes and other aircraft.
- Red Bamboo planned to use Ebirah and Ookondoru in large-scale terrorist attacks, luring them to their selected locations with a mix of both food and chemical concoction lures.
- There was a third kaiju on Letchi island at the time, one that acted as the land guardian, attacking intruders who managed to get past both other monsters and RB (what it was, I don't know; perhaps a wild boar, or a coconut crab). Either it wasn't encountered by Godzilla or the castaways, or Godzilla defeated it offscreen.

Erimaki Anguirus
Ronin

Post by Erimaki Anguirus »

- Mogranda is a mutated Gigan.
- M Space Hunter Nebula is a giant hive of Giant Cockroaches like the ones in Godzilla vs Gigan. They were sent by the Queen Cockroach who is a Cockroach kaiju.
- Godzilla 1954 was in a group of Godzillas who died in the nuclear explosion. The worst that happened to him is that he got burned badly.
- That while in the ice berg, Showa Godzilla started losing radiation, which made him lose ears and a fourth toe. Now he is much more natural looking.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Erimaki Anguirus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 am - That while in the ice berg, Showa Godzilla started losing radiation, which made him lose ears and a fourth toe. Now he is much more natural looking.
Along with that, my head cannon is that with him being stuck in a really cold iceberg, he gained weight to deal with the temperatures.
For Emperor and Empire!

Erimaki Anguirus
Ronin

Erimaki Anguirus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 am - Mogranda is a mutated Gigan.
- M Space Hunter Nebula is a giant hive of Giant Cockroaches like the ones in Godzilla vs Gigan. They were sent by the Queen Cockroach who is a Cockroach kaiju.
- Godzilla 1954 was in a group of Godzillas who died in the nuclear explosion. The worst that happened to him is that he got burned badly.
- That while in the ice berg, Showa Godzilla started losing radiation, which made him lose ears and a fourth toe. Now he is much more natural looking.

But adding on I think have a head canon that Goram from Zone Fighter is a subspecies of Ghidorah. Like Desghidorah and Aller-Ghidorah. Since another Zone Fighter monster, Jellar looks like Hedorah, I think exactly that. Jellar is a Heodrah, possibly with some mutation.
Last edited by Erimaki Anguirus on Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

-Godzilla and the 1954 Godzilla are brothers from the same colony, being one of the few survivors of the nuclear bomb testing.
-Gigantis is Godzilla's sister, and she had killed a member of Anguirus' species before hiding away in seclusion, though she would eventually come to live with her brother on Monsterland.
-Minya is Godzilla's biological son, his mother having been one of the victims of the bomb after bearing his egg.
-There are multiple Gorosaurus individuals; the one in Destroy All Monsters is the leader of a pack consisting of smaller members.
-The Anguirus that Godzilla fights in 1955 is the same as the one who'd become his ally; after their battle, both kaiju would gain respect for each other, and after Godzilla's own adventures up to '67, the two would meet again and end up becoming friends.
-The reason Godzilla's Atomic Ray goes from a vapor-like spray to a more focused beam of energy is because of how often he used it compared to his brother, honing it into a more capable weapon. If the 1954 Godzilla lived, his Atomic Ray would undergo a similar change overtime.
-The events of A Space Godzilla still happen, albeit with some changes; Rozan is a member of the Space Godzillas, a species of aliens that closely resemble Earth's Godzillas via convergent evolution, right down to sharing similar atomic abilities. Rozan had crash-landed onto Earth in the 60's while pregnant, crossing paths with King Kong and combating him, before being beaten back and eventually washing up on the shores of Japan. With humanity's help, Rozan is launched back into space, eventually managing to return to her home planet, where the war between the Space Godzillas and the Sunerians goes underway.
-The events of Godzilla's Revenge did technically happen, Ichiro's dream just changes things up (notably Minya's talking ability).
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

- The Godzilla movie mentioned in KKvG is a spliced together dramatic film mixed with footage of 1954's attack, similar to King Of The Monsters 1956 but not exact. The creators of that film later did the same thing for King Kong and Godzilla's rampage, creating what is more or less the American Cut of King Kong vs Godzilla.
- The surviving Rodan who teams up with Godzilla and Mothra is the female. This is why the 1964-1968 suits have smaller head crests and duller colors then 1956, it's sexual dimorphism from the male. (yes, I know it's addressed as male at some points, I had this headcanon before I found the accurate translation)
- The Mysterians ARE the Nartals. They upgraded and came back, this time hiding themselves to attempt to avoid uncontrollable humans being let in to their machinations. The Nartals we saw in film were a mindcontrolled slave race used for labor, that's why they have similar helmets and act rather wild despite having such advanced tech
- Mothra takes place in the 1950s. The reason she's smaller in the subsequent Showa films is that Mothra peacefully passed on and had a new smaller offspring.
- King Kong Escapes is an in universe Kong film. Gorosaurus was discovered elsewhere and it's a composite of his wild self/a model for the "Kong" actor to fight.
- That Mecha-Ghidorah manga is the ending of the Showa series.

RIP Evan.

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

My main head canon for the Showa films is that Godzilla’s species is responsible for all the list ships, planes and other weird happenings in the Dragon’s Triangle. It’s the Pacific version of the Bermuda Triangle. It stretches from just South of Tokyo to the Marianas Islands to Taiwan. It’s got 1,000s of years worth of accounts of disasters at sea and even reports of sea monsters. Always have thought that the Odo Island mythology was based on these actual legends.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:58 pm - That Mecha-Ghidorah manga is the ending of the Showa series.
Yeah, this ties in with my ending where all the Showa aliens (Godzilla or not) team up to fight Goji and his pals. They fail in the head and the kaiju live peacefully forever more.
For Emperor and Empire!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

The teens in TOMG Godzilla saves from Titanosaurus are an older Ken from vs Hedorah and Ishiro from Revenge, who became close friends for obvious reasons and obviously still have their fascination with monsters.

Thought up this last night after I noticed on rewatch one is named Ken according to the subs and looks EERILY close to a older version of Hiroyuki Kawase.

RIP Evan.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Off the top of of my head Japan has somehow founded a cure for Matango and Anguirus survived Mechagodzilla. Please tell me nothing debunks the latter.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Zasraniec wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:16 pm Off the top of of my head Japan has somehow founded a cure for Matango and Anguirus survived Mechagodzilla. Please tell me nothing debunks the latter.
Anguirus did survive. His broken jaw healed by the time the events in Destroy All Monsters happened in 1999.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Yeah that's what I always thought. I never knew if it was just a second Anguirus or the same one for sure, but I always hoped it was the same Angiurus.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Zasraniec wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:26 pm Yeah that's what I always thought. I never knew if it was just a second Anguirus or the same one for sure, but I always hoped it was the same Angiurus.
Actually, the Anguirus that appeared in all the Showa films after Godzilla Raids Again is the second Anguirus.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Wouldn't that make him the first Anguirus? :Anguirus: :D

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Erimaki Anguirus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:10 pm
Erimaki Anguirus wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 am - Mogranda is a mutated Gigan.

But adding on I think have a head canon that Goram from Zone Fighter is a subspecies of Ghidorah. Like Desghidorah and Aller-Ghidorah. Since another Zone Fighter monster, Jellar looks like Hedorah, I think exactly that. Jellar is a Heodrah, possibly with some mutation.
Aside from having more than one head, what makes Goram a subspecies of Ghidorah, may I ask? They really don’t have anything in common, from what I can see, aside from the head count and red eyes.
For Emperor and Empire!

Erimaki Anguirus
Ronin

Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:22 am
Hes got a lot of heads. He isn't a Ghidorah mutation, more like a sub species.

Aside from having more than one head, what makes Goram a subspecies of Ghidorah, may I ask? They really don’t have anything in common, from what I can see, aside from the head count and red eyes.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Erimaki Anguirus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:55 am
Voyager wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:22 am

Hes got a lot of heads. He isn't a Ghidorah mutation, more like a sub species.

Uhh??? You didn’t say anything.
For Emperor and Empire!