Which unmade Showa film would you've liked to see?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Bride of Godzilla (1956)
4%
The Volcano Monsters (1957)
4%
Continuation: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963)
6%
Frankenstein vs. Godzilla (1964)
5%
Operation Robinson Crusoe: King Kong vs. Ebirah (1966)
5%
Batman vs. Godzilla (1966)
12%
All Monsters Attack Directive (1968)
4%
Godzilla vs. Hitodah (1972)
No votes
Godzilla vs. Hedorah 2 (1972)
6%
Godzilla vs. Redmoon (1972)
12%
Godzilla vs. the Space Monsters: Earth Defence Directive (1972)
4%
The Return of King Ghidorah (1972)
5%
Giant Monsters Converge on Okinawa! Showdown in Zanpamisaki (1974)
1%
Godzilla vs. Gargantua (1978)
10%
King of Monsters: Rebirth of Godzilla (1978)
1%
A Space Godzilla (1979)
10%
Godzilla vs. the Asuka Fortress (1979)
10%
Other
2%

Total votes: 82

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Due to the 25 limit, I couldn't fit all of their unmade films into one poll, so I've decided to fit split such into seperate polls representing the different eras/series. So anway, please feel free to submit your vote and express your opinion and reasons in the comment section down below. Thank you.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Re: Which unmade Showa film would you've liked to see?

Post by Ivo-goji »

Frankenstein vs Godzilla would have been the best concept to realize, assuming it would have been more or less Frankenstein vs Baragon with Godzilla replacing Baragon. Having the two most iconic science fiction monsters clash would have made history.

Batman vs Godzilla would have been interesting if only for the sheer outlandishness of the premise. That and we've never seen Godzilla tangle with a DC hero, just the Marvel roster.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Ivo-goji wrote:Frankenstein vs Godzilla would have been the best concept to realize, assuming it would have been more or less Frankenstein vs Baragon with Godzilla replacing Baragon. Having the two most iconic science fiction monsters clash would have made history.
That's cool mate. Hell I'm even planning a fanfic called Dracula vs. Godzilla.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

It's gotta be Godzilla vs. Redmoon, which would have been the only Japanese Godzilla movie not made by Toho.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Bride of godzilla. Zero idea of the premise, but it sounds awesome.
plus, godzilla courtship.

also, godzilla wedding.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla vs. the Asuka Fortress sounds like a lot of fun and I love the design TK came up with on the main site. A rogue robot controlled by a rebel group is a concept unique to the Godzilla franchise and I'd love to see it in a future film.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Godzilla vs. Redmoon sounded very promising, and quite dark. A baby accidentally dying and Godzilla has to take out the rampaging parents.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

^That does sound interesting. I wonder if Minilla could have been worked into the plot somehow. Godzilla the father, killing a pair of vengeful parents in order to protect the world his son lives in. Maybe at first Godzilla is sympathetic to Redmoon's cause, and only reluctantly joins the fight out of dire need? Or maybe Godzilla coldbloodedly slaughters the family the way he butchered Hedorah, never knowing and never caring what their motives were? The whole premise is pretty dark, and yet, feels so intensely 'Showa era kaiju movie'.

Godzilla vs the Asuka Fortress is intriguing as a potential sequel to the Mechagodzilla Duology. Interpol tracks down the remnants of the space men's technology, only for their work to be used in a conspiracy to overthrow the Japanese government by creating a new bionic monster to terrorize the world. Godzilla gets drawn into the conflict- perhaps the weapon is developed with the pretense of protecting the nation from him- and ends up being instrumental to saving Japan from insurgents. The opportunity for political commentary is obvious, but the film could also have been about worldbuilding; how do people adjust to a life of constant warfare with kaiju and aliens? Would they blame their leaders? Would they abuse the advanced technology produced by these wars? It's a concept with a lot of potential.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:Bride of godzilla. Zero idea of the premise, but it sounds awesome.
plus, godzilla courtship.

also, godzilla wedding.
The premise is strictly bonkers, the great kind. http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22723

My pick has to be Redmoon or the Asuka Fortress because I find the premises of those two to be very interesting as they are original concepts. I would have also listed Godzilla vs. The Devil, but that was a fake unmade film that sounded like it would be pretty interesting as well. Redmoon sounds interesting merely because of its tragic elements. Having a child of two kaiju get killed and then the parents attack the entire nation? That's neat. Antoher

I don't like the idea of a 1978 remake of the original 1954 Godzilla unless it was halted in development so Toho could get time for a new team and crew to come around it that would set it tonally different from the rest of the Showa period and get better effects akin to 1984. I guess it would be neat to see a contemporary '70s remake of the story, but only if they imported Raymond Burr to be one of the sole foreign actors in their movies alongside another. Let's say Bill Bixby. Something around those lines to make the film different enough to make it worthwhile than a mere soulless rehash of the original.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Would have loved to see Godzilla vs the Space Monsters for no greater reason than possibly giving Megalon some much needed respect.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Would have loved to see Godzilla vs the Space Monsters for no greater reason than possibly giving Megalon some much needed respect.
That and actually giving Anguirus a moment to shine. Granted, he would've only had a near victory against Megalon, but it still would've counted for something.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Godzilla vs Asura Fortress. The idea of a rebel group controlling a giant robot sounds awesome, and Godzilla fighting mechs is always fun.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I'm going to have to say Batman vs. Godzilla. I actually think that would've been pretty intriguing to see. I mean how would it have gone down? Would Joker of been involved finding out about Godzilla and then luring him to Gotham City to cause chaos resulting in the plot and fight between Godzilla and Batman? Who knows...

Gothicserpent
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gothicserpent »

Do we even know if Redmoon and Erabus were killed? Or were they chased off like a lot of 70's Godzilla opponents?
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"
GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Godzilla vs the Space Monsters sounds like it would have been interesting. The idea of an alien brain is quite different from the normal humanoid invaders.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

Bride of Godzilla, Godzilla vs Redmoon, A Space Godzilla, and King of Monsters: Rebirth of Godzilla. The rest are pretty much either pointless sequels or ideas that eventually got reincorporated i.to other movies.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

BlacktimusPrime
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlacktimusPrime »

Godzilla v Adam West: Dawn of Camp.
Coobzilla03 wrote:
goji89 wrote:Godzilla in general sucks. Just awful. I mean a man in a suit knocking down papercraft buildings?

Turn me into a twix and give me a break.

Mutated animals that are huge that fight each other.
Here goji, have a Snickers. You're not you when you're hungry.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I can picture that now....

Batman: Robin, fire the anti-monster rockets.

Robin: Holy hailfire, Batman, it didn't work.

Batman: This lizard is tougher than we thought. Robin, head back to base.

Robin: Why Batman?

Batman: We're going to unleash the big one.

Robin: You mean...

Batman: Yes, Robin. To the Batmech!
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Godzilla Vs. Gargantua is the one I'd liked to have seen the most out of the batch offered. The reason is because it seems like a bit of a no brainer to me with the Gargantuas, Sanda and Gaira, along with Toho's Big Three of kaiu. Godzilla. Mothra. Rodan. Are the most recognized in Toho's monster stable. Not to mention War of the Gargantua's seems to get a shout out every so often. Most notably Brad Pitt mentioning the film as the one that inspired him to get into show business. Godzilla facing down with either one, both, or a whole new Frankenstein Brother is one of those ideas that one wonders ,"Why the Holy Heck has no one done this yet ?".

The Asuka Fortress also probably piqued my interest a lot also. Although, the idea a group of individuals looking to stage a coup de tat on the Japanese government whose plans involve a giant robot piloted by a sympathetic JSDF pilot is cool. I keep thinking it's a story more fitting for Heisei series. With Biollante involving an arms race involving Godzilla's genetics ,and the Anti-Nuclear Energy Bacteria. King Ghidorah, the Shindo Group, a group of businessmen who was responsible for rebuilding Japan from its post-WW2 ruin. Who had enough money, influence, and resources to even get a hold of, or even build and arm a nuclear submarine. The Shindo Group, a group of financial ultra patriots, I could see working to over throw the Japanese government, and having the access to the tech to build a mech like the Asuka Fortress. And the influence to even get a substantial chunk of the JSDF on their side to pull it off.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I think I would most want to see the original version of Ebirah, Terror of the Deep....the one that was NOT a Godzilla movie and featured King Kong instead. So King Kong vs Ebirah wins for me.

It also isn't an option, but I wish they had taken a chance on making Godzilla vs Megalon as JUST a Jet Jaguar film, again, sans Godzilla.

The notion of two of the "lesser" Showa films potentially never happening is nice to think about.

I also would have preferred that a direct sequel to King Kong vs Godzilla were made, because I feel that if Universal and Toho partnered on a direct sequel then some of the trajectory of the early Showa era(and Godzilla franchise as a whole) might have been quite different, which is an exciting prospect.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."