Which unmade Showa film would you've liked to see?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Which unmade Showa film would you've liked to see?

Bride of Godzilla (1956)
4%
The Volcano Monsters (1957)
4%
Continuation: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963)
6%
Frankenstein vs. Godzilla (1964)
5%
Operation Robinson Crusoe: King Kong vs. Ebirah (1966)
5%
Batman vs. Godzilla (1966)
12%
All Monsters Attack Directive (1968)
4%
Godzilla vs. Hitodah (1972)
No votes
Godzilla vs. Hedorah 2 (1972)
6%
Godzilla vs. Redmoon (1972)
12%
Godzilla vs. the Space Monsters: Earth Defence Directive (1972)
4%
The Return of King Ghidorah (1972)
5%
Giant Monsters Converge on Okinawa! Showdown in Zanpamisaki (1974)
1%
Godzilla vs. Gargantua (1978)
10%
King of Monsters: Rebirth of Godzilla (1978)
1%
A Space Godzilla (1979)
10%
Godzilla vs. the Asuka Fortress (1979)
10%
Other
2%

Total votes: 82

H-Man
G-Grasper

Re: Which unmade Showa film would you've liked to see?

Post by H-Man »

UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:26 pm Godzilla vs. the Asuka Fortress sounds like a lot of fun and I love the design TK came up with on the main site. A rogue robot controlled by a rebel group is a concept unique to the Godzilla franchise and I'd love to see it in a future film.
Ivo-goji wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:32 pm Godzilla vs the Asuka Fortress is intriguing as a potential sequel to the Mechagodzilla Duology. Interpol tracks down the remnants of the space men's technology, only for their work to be used in a conspiracy to overthrow the Japanese government by creating a new bionic monster to terrorize the world. Godzilla gets drawn into the conflict- perhaps the weapon is developed with the pretense of protecting the nation from him- and ends up being instrumental to saving Japan from insurgents. The opportunity for political commentary is obvious, but the film could also have been about worldbuilding; how do people adjust to a life of constant warfare with kaiju and aliens? Would they blame their leaders? Would they abuse the advanced technology produced by these wars? It's a concept with a lot of potential.
I have a question of grand ignorance. I was always under the impression that the runner-up in the writing contest that gave us Godzilla vs. Biollante was a Godzilla vs. Skynet idea that eventually became Gunhed. But apparently that was actually Godzilla vs. Asuka Fortress that was pitched in the 1970s. Is that right? Or is there a case of convergent evolution involved? Can someone clarify this for me?

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Godzilla vs Redmoon (original title: "Godzilla - Redmoon - Erabus - Hafun: No Man's Land of the Monsters"). I just think the idea of the story sounds very interesting. It's one of those examples of Godzilla having to step in and save the day when humans screw up. In this case, the humans accidently killed Hafun, the offspring of Redmoon and Erabus, causing them to go on a rampage. I like that idea. Though I'm glad Godzilla vs Gigan was made instead because that movie is a lot more personal to me since it was the first Japanese Godzilla movie I ever saw, but if there is one scrapped Godzilla movie from the Showa era that I would like to see get made, it's this one.

My second choice would be Godzilla vs Hedorah 2.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

H-Man wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:06 am [I was always under the impression that the runner-up in the writing contest that gave us Godzilla vs. Biollante was a Godzilla vs. Skynet idea that eventually became Gunhed. But apparently that was actually Godzilla vs. Asuka Fortress that was pitched in the 1970s. Is that right? Or is there a case of convergent evolution involved? Can someone clarify this for me?
Asuka Fortress was floated around by Showa era regular Shinichi Sekizawa a good ten years before the writing contest. The proposed Godzilla sequel that became Gunhed was originally written by James Bannon, an American.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Things like Godzilla vs. the Asuka Fortress would probably be more objectively interesting films, but come on I can't not vote 60s Batman taking on Showa Godzilla that is just a fucking trip I want in my veins.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Count me in the minority who wouldn't like Batman vs Godzilla.

I'd really like to see Asuka Fortress. Redmoon and All Monsters Attack Directive are good runner-ups.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

The two mad lads who voted for Bride of Godzilla XD

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Toss up between Batman meets Godzilla for sheer audacity (though hopefully with a different ending), and Asuka Fortress for appeal and unique design for plot.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Interesting that we kinda/sorta got Asuka Fortress years and years later with Mechagodzilla City.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tbeasley wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:39 am Interesting that we kinda/sorta got Asuka Fortress years and years later with Mechagodzilla City.
Combined with Berserk, too. If only, Mechagodzilla actually showed up instead of giant metal tiddies.

Added in 1 minute 50 seconds:
H-Man wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:06 am
UltramanGoji wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:26 pm Godzilla vs. the Asuka Fortress sounds like a lot of fun and I love the design TK came up with on the main site. A rogue robot controlled by a rebel group is a concept unique to the Godzilla franchise and I'd love to see it in a future film.
Ivo-goji wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:32 pm Godzilla vs the Asuka Fortress is intriguing as a potential sequel to the Mechagodzilla Duology. Interpol tracks down the remnants of the space men's technology, only for their work to be used in a conspiracy to overthrow the Japanese government by creating a new bionic monster to terrorize the world. Godzilla gets drawn into the conflict- perhaps the weapon is developed with the pretense of protecting the nation from him- and ends up being instrumental to saving Japan from insurgents. The opportunity for political commentary is obvious, but the film could also have been about worldbuilding; how do people adjust to a life of constant warfare with kaiju and aliens? Would they blame their leaders? Would they abuse the advanced technology produced by these wars? It's a concept with a lot of potential.
I have a question of grand ignorance. I was always under the impression that the runner-up in the writing contest that gave us Godzilla vs. Biollante was a Godzilla vs. Skynet idea that eventually became Gunhed. But apparently that was actually Godzilla vs. Asuka Fortress that was pitched in the 1970s. Is that right? Or is there a case of convergent evolution involved? Can someone clarify this for me?
Probably convergent evolution.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

That whole "Batman vs Godzilla" thing... I can't believe how much traction that has gained considering it was more or less an idea that was tossed out as soon as it was considered. I think it only had a single treatment, by one writer at Toho? And then some other simultaneous treatment by one of the Batman writers in the US. But I don't think there was any true collaboration, or that it got that far.

I think Godzilla vs Redmoon would have been cool. Daigoro vs Goliath is kind of forgotten so it would have gotten to put those other monster costumes to good use. And that this would have been done by Tsuburaya Productions would have been interesting to see. It probably would have looked a bit more "rushed" but would have had an interesting visual aesthetic.

The Volcano Monsters would have also been interesting, if only because we'd have gotten to see that hybrid Godzilla 1957 suit in action. Bob Burns went on the record as saying that they actually found that suit, as well as Anguirus, in crates while working on another B-movie in the 1950s. He said that nobody could fit inside of it and that it looked like it had already seen some action from filming (some holes in it like explosives had gone off near it), indicating that it was the 1955 suit and modified.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Godzilla vs. Gargantua. Even as a kid, I always wondered why this never happened, or why neither Sanda nor Gaira were in DAM. I also have more faith in this concept turning out good over most of the others. There's a reason why many of them evolved into the films we got or were cancelled. I have zero faith in a 60s Batman vs. Godzilla film. It sounds like a funny comic idea or animated film, sure. But a whole movie with Adam West Batman and Robin against Godzilla? No thank you.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Creature22 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:14 am I think Godzilla vs Redmoon would have been cool. Daigoro vs Goliath is kind of forgotten so it would have gotten to put those other monster costumes to good use.
Quick correction: Godzilla vs. Red Moon was considered before Daigoro vs. Goliath, and Red Moon and Erabus weren't meant to be recolored, modified suits of Goliath and Daigoro's mom. If anything, GVRM inspired DVG, not the other way around.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Creature22 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:14 amHe said that nobody could fit inside of it and that it looked like it had already seen some action from filming (some holes in it like explosives had gone off near it), indicating that it was the 1955 suit and modified.
With all due respect to Bob, he was relating a memory of an event that happened decades before. And, unfortunately, his story doesn't confirm anything, it just raises more unanswerable questions. However, I don't think the 1957 Godzilla looks anything like a modified 1955 costume. It looks like it was built from the ground up.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:53 am Godzilla vs. Gargantua. Even as a kid, I always wondered why this never happened, or why neither Sanda nor Gaira were in DAM. I also have more faith in this concept turning out good over most of the others. There's a reason why many of them evolved into the films we got or were cancelled. I have zero faith in a 60s Batman vs. Godzilla film. It sounds like a funny comic idea or animated film, sure. But a whole movie with Adam West Batman and Robin against Godzilla? No thank you.
I agree, I also feel like most other concepts happened in general, while this really has no analogue.

Also, while I'm not fan of the plots, there's a few ideas from old concepts I'd love to see (a blind Godzilla taking on foes from the Chamelegon one, the aliens who want to conquer the Earth to sell it to other aliens from the initial MG script, I'd say the Hollow Earth from Bride of Godzilla but we sort of did?)

RIP Evan.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Terasawa wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 9:20 am
Creature22 wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:14 amHe said that nobody could fit inside of it and that it looked like it had already seen some action from filming (some holes in it like explosives had gone off near it), indicating that it was the 1955 suit and modified.
With all due respect to Bob, he was relating a memory of an event that happened decades before. And, unfortunately, his story doesn't confirm anything, it just raises more unanswerable questions. However, I don't think the 1957 Godzilla looks anything like a modified 1955 costume. It looks like it was built from the ground up.
I do personally believe the ‘57 suit is its own unique costume (not sure about Anguirus though). There are a few photos of it other than the classic “two shot” taken in Japan, so I wouldn’t doubt that he’s telling the truth. But yeah, not really much more that can be said about it; if anything, it confirms that the costumes made it to the US and were not lost in transit, but probably became forgotten/deteriorated once the film was cancelled.

From what I recall, they only removed/analyzed the Godzilla suit from the crate. They left Anguirus inside.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

S.O.S. Tokyo! Godzilla's Suicide Strategy. sounds like a good mix of political thriller and unique monster action. Gigan teamed up with an invisible robot, being given a weather-controlling enhancements., and the invisible robot tricking Godzilla into looking like he's gone crazy from the military's perspective.
Having alien-controlled kaiju intentionally attacking supply lines instead of just rampaging randomly wasn't something seen before.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I remember hearing somewhere that none other than Akira Kurosawa always wanted to direct a Godzilla film. Unfortunately Toho dreaded that such an endeavor would be to expensive and thus, they forbade him from such an opportunity. Can any of you imagine what such a film could've been like? I dare say it just might have had the potential to blow the original 1954 film out of the water.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:31 pm I remember hearing somewhere that none other than Akira Kurosawa always wanted to direct a Godzilla film. Unfortunately Toho dreaded that such an endeavor would be to expensive and thus, they forbade him from such an opportunity. Can any of you imagine what such a film could've been like? I dare say it just might have had the potential to blow the original 1954 film out of the water.
That's an unsubstantiated rumor, at best.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:15 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:31 pm I remember hearing somewhere that none other than Akira Kurosawa always wanted to direct a Godzilla film. Unfortunately Toho dreaded that such an endeavor would be to expensive and thus, they forbade him from such an opportunity. Can any of you imagine what such a film could've been like? I dare say it just might have had the potential to blow the original 1954 film out of the water.
That's an unsubstantiated rumor, at best.
Should I set up a separate thread for the subject?

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

King of Monsters: Rebirth of Godzilla is the one I'd like to see. Toho has never done a Godzilla remake as opposed to a reboot and I would've liked to see how they would go about it with years worth technological advancement as well as experience.
Last edited by HillyHulk on Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.