Which title do you prefer? Monster Zero or Invasion of the Astro-Monster?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Which title do you prefer?

Invasion of the Astro-Monster
20%
Godzilla vs. Monster Zero
34%
Monster Zero
35%
Other
1%
I don't mind
10%

Total votes: 80

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Re: Which title do you prefer? Monster Zero or Invasion of the Astro-Monster?

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Monster Zero all the way. “Invasion of Astro-Monster” is a horrible title.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Why does Godzilla have to be in the title for it to be something that people like/prefer? I understand nostalgia for the GvsMZ title, but if the preference comes from Godzilla's name being in the title, then it's just kind of silly to me. The only reason that was done was for marketing purposes, and so the film could be sold to TV easier; which is where the video generated "Godzilla vs. Monster Zero" title first appeared, in the early '80s. The film was released as "Monster Zero" theatrically, but even Toho seems to want us to forget that.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Goji wrote:Why does Godzilla have to be in the title for it to be something that people like/prefer? I understand nostalgia for the GvsMZ title, but if the preference comes from Godzilla's name being in the title, then it's just kind of silly to me. The only reason that was done was for marketing purposes, and so the film could be sold to TV easier; which is where the video generated "Godzilla vs. Monster Zero" title first appeared, in the early '80s. The film was released as "Monster Zero" theatrically, but even Toho seems to want us to forget that.
And don't forget Toho's grammatical incorrectness by making the official English-language title in Japan Invasion of Astro-Monster with no the in it.

MekaGojira3k
Samurai

Post by MekaGojira3k »

growing up it was always vs. Monster Zero but I think Monster Zero is just more concise. Besides I like when Godzilla film titles aren't just Godzilla vs. Something
Last edited by MekaGojira3k on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Killer Meteor
Yojimbo

Post by The Killer Meteor »

Terasawa wrote:
  • **Reported in Variety circa 1967 (don’t have Steve Ryfle’s book in front of me but I believe that’s mentioned in his text). Saperstein wasn’t able to release the film in the U.S. until 1970, as “Monster Zero.” There is a print with this “working title” in Toho’s possession. It’s sometimes referred to as an “international version” but there’s a long and technical explanation to why that version (released on video in the U.K.) is neither the original American nor an original Toho international version. Whew.

I wonder whether that exchange between Fuji and Glen on the saucer in their respective languages as seen on the UK VHS and Criterion BD was properly in English originally, and got lost over time? It's very odd as it stands!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The Killer Meteor wrote:I wonder whether that exchange between Fuji and Glen on the saucer in their respective languages as seen on the UK VHS and Criterion BD was properly in English originally, and got lost over time? It's very odd as it stands!
I don't think there's anything to suggest that Fuji's line was dubbed for the U.S. version and then misplaced. Adams' following line is surely from the mics on set.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

The Killer Meteor
Yojimbo

Post by The Killer Meteor »

Terasawa wrote:
The Killer Meteor wrote:I wonder whether that exchange between Fuji and Glen on the saucer in their respective languages as seen on the UK VHS and Criterion BD was properly in English originally, and got lost over time? It's very odd as it stands!
I don't think there's anything to suggest that Fuji's line was dubbed for the U.S. version and then misplaced. Adams' following line is surely from the mics on set.
Yeah, I just don't get why that random exchange wasn't dubbed and included to begin with.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero for me.

For one thing, it was the title on the VHS cover when I saw the movie the first time. But also, it just works the best for me.

I never liked Invasion of Astro Monster because that's a generic sci-fi title that doesn't refer to anything specific in the movie. It could be anything.

Monster Zero takes terminology from the film itself, so it works great as a title. However, Godzilla vs. Monster Zero has the added benefit of adding Godzilla's name to the title, which for one thing made it easier for me to find back in the day, and makes it fit better with most of the rest of the series.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

IoAM is an annoying title because 1. it's kinda Engrish (not as bad as Trap of Suicide Kilometer, but still) and 2. we'll never know if it actually appeared on an English language print of the film. It was cool seeing the title logo in the international trailer, I'll admit that.

I prefer War of the Monsters: King Ghidorah vs. Godzilla lately.
Last edited by Tamura on Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

^Why should Ghidorah get top billing?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Its not Invasion of the Astro-Monster, it's just Invasion of Astro-Monster, which is Engrish gibberish. Is Toho so anal about their IPs, Criterion couldn't even add a "the"? Monster Zero is a real groovy, pulpy title.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Its not Invasion of the Astro-Monster, it's just Invasion of Astro-Monster, which is Engrish gibberish. Is Toho so anal about their IPs, Criterion couldn't even add a "the"? Monster Zero is a real groovy, pulpy title.
Well, there is a "Invasion of the Astro-Monster", but that's not the title Toho prefers.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

^Astro Monsters (plural)? Who was Ghidorah's partner?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The Octopus wrote:^Astro Monsters (plural)? Who was Ghidorah's partner?
I think it implies the Xiliens are said monsters.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Or Godzilla and Rodan. They were briefly weapons of the Xiliens.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Coobzilla03 wrote:Monster Zero, just always heard it that way.
Yeah, me too. I had the Simitar VHS that had Godzilla vs. Monster Zero on the cover, but Monster Zero appeared in the film itself. It was also the title that Leonard Maltin used in his book. So Monster Zero it is!
Last edited by H-Man on Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.