Talkback: Rodan (1956)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Re: Talkback: Rodan (1956)

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

Pre cursor to fire rodan?
https://youtu.be/UTupfRnGJSo
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

It's an attack that's called "wind breath" and is a result of Rodans exposure to radiation
Source on that is "All Toho Monsters Picture Book"
Last edited by Godzillian on Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Wikizilla uploaded a Kaiju Profile on the Showa Rodan that detailed his "wind breath":
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

I like how this film basically starts off like Toho's version of THEM! (1954)...
before turning into flying kaiju film. I've always loved the structure of this
story...mainly because of just how different it is from the other Showa era
flicks.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

This is a very good movie. It does start of like "THEM!" and then it introduces you to Rodan and his mate. What's really interesting is how they cause chaos all over the Pacific. What really makes it a surprisingly effective movie is how when Rodan's mate succumbed to the lava and the volcanic gasses, how Rodan chooses to join her in death rather then live alone. It really states to the viewer that they were't trying to cause chaos on purpose. They were just animals trying to survive as best they could.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I feel that a defining trait of 50’s Kaiju films such as this and the original Godzilla was a looming sense of melancholy and very morbid vibe.

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

KillCrites wrote:Watched this for the first time in its entirety today and it's fantastic. I love the way that the scale of the movie gradually gets bigger in each act, it starts as a murder mystery in the first act, becomes a giant bug movie in the movie second act, and a kaiju movie by the third act. The characters and plot are simple but that's not a bad thing and I feel like it works in the movie's favor. The special effects sequences and miniatures are just amazing. This is my favorite Rodan design also, he's never looked better.
I had similar feelings watching it as a kid. Particularly with how the giant bugs are this incredible threat in the beginning but then are eventually thrown completely out in favor of Rodan. It's an intriguing bait-and-switch style where the first act story gets completely washed over.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

This movie just looks soooo good! The attack on Fukuoka is one of the most incredible scenes of city destruction in a kaiju movie, and it goes without saying the very best looking incarnation of Rodan we've ever been treated to. As a matter of fact, it's one of the best looking kaiju suits imo.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The Fukuoka scene just blows you away.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote:The Fukuoka scene just blows you away.
Is that a pun?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Yes, it is.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

The miniatures in this movie are gorgeous. Might be Tsuburaya's best work in the genre.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

My friend just watched this for the first time (he's new to the genre and I think he's on a bit of a kaiju kick since we saw KOTM) and he mentioned reading that Rodan is specifically a depiction of the USSR. If Godzilla is American nuclear testing in the 50s, then Rodan is Russian.

I hadn't really heard this interpretation and was wondering what other people's thoughts were. I'm not sure what is specifically Russian about this film versus what's in Gojira, besides the fact that the latter makes explicit mention of American actions with the Lucky Dragon No. 5 and Nagasaki both being alluded to in the film itself whereas Rodan has no such allusions.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

GalacticPetey wrote:My friend just watched this for the first time (he's new to the genre and I think he's on a bit of a kaiju kick since we saw KOTM) and he mentioned reading that Rodan is specifically a depiction of the USSR. If Godzilla is American nuclear testing in the 50s, then Rodan is Russian.

I hadn't really heard this interpretation and was wondering what other people's thoughts were. I'm not sure what is specifically Russian about this film versus what's in Gojira, besides the fact that the latter makes explicit mention of American actions with the Lucky Dragon No. 5 and Nagasaki both being alluded to in the film itself whereas Rodan has no such allusions.
I`m glad that thankfully we have a new fan! Rodan 1956 is actually a great film post KOTM to watch. The Rodan from KOTM is pretty faithful to that one.

Anyways, I`ve continuously heard routine references to pretty much X Monster somehow being related to the USSR, or China. Examples being Ghidorah and Angurius. The argument I`ve made against those are the same; other then us projecting a political situation in our desire to find some sort of interesting thematic theme, there is nothing to prove or support this idea. Toho isn`t exactly subtle with a lot of their imagery or what individual films are about, and if they wanted to make Rodan, or any other monster, a symbol of the USSR we would get a more clear picture as to why.

The Japanese Dub of Rodan actually seems to be a more earnest environmental film. At that time climate change wasn`t really a thing people talked about, but its unique to note that Rodan did it very early without coming off as insincere. Rodan and the Meganulon live in a coal mine, and are disturbed by the earth getting warmer, but also the exploration and industrialization of the land. What`s really unique about Rodan as well, is that similar to the other kaiju greats, the film could also just be about the dangers of the coal mining industry as it is everything else.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: The Japanese Dub of Rodan actually seems to be a more earnest environmental film. At that time climate change wasn`t really a thing people talked about, but its unique to note that Rodan did it very early without coming off as insincere. Rodan and the Meganulon live in a coal mine, and are disturbed by the earth getting warmer, but also the exploration and industrialization of the land. What`s really unique about Rodan as well, is that similar to the other kaiju greats, the film could also just be about the dangers of the coal mining industry as it is everything else.
What a forward thinking kino
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: The Japanese Dub of Rodan actually seems to be a more earnest environmental film. At that time climate change wasn`t really a thing people talked about, but its unique to note that Rodan did it very early without coming off as insincere. Rodan and the Meganulon live in a coal mine, and are disturbed by the earth getting warmer, but also the exploration and industrialization of the land. What`s really unique about Rodan as well, is that similar to the other kaiju greats, the film could also just be about the dangers of the coal mining industry as it is everything else.
What a forward thinking kino
As for movies like Dogora I got nothing! :D

Added in 11 months 6 days 1 hour 39 minutes 23 seconds:
I rewatched this yesterday, after Varan. My opinions of it haven't changed much, but I don't mind the focus shifting from the meganulon to the Rodan. Both the Meganulon and Rodan problem are caused by the same thing (atomic energy, environmental changes and mining) and are stated to be part of the same ecosystem, so it's not as bothersome. Additionally, I like how there's a really steady but consistent flow and raising of stakes. We go from some disappearances in mines, an already deadly place, to the meganulon attacking the small town, to Rodan flying around and swiping and killing people, to the destruction near the end. We go from miners attacking giant insects with hand pistols and picks to Rodan being attacked by jets and tanks, and it logically makes sense.

I think the only thing that the film lacks, is the characters. They're not bad, just the least developed. They still have some nice scenes together, like when Seiji comforts Kiyo before the meganulon attack, or Kiyo's reaction to Seiji losing his memory. It's not as dramatic, but I still enjoyed it. They also form a nice strange parallel to the two Rodan's of the film and I like the simple domestically of the two of them versus the standard scientists/reporters. I also noted that Kiyo was always wearing some really nice floral patterns.

Also, I used to not like how the film abruptly wraps up. It used to feel rushed how after a major attack they just decide to blow up the area surrounding Mt. Aso, but now after re-watching it I realized that's the major role Seiji contributes to the film. He's the one that indicates there's a nest nearby and it clicks together that everything is related. It works way better now.

I don't think this film is as dramatic or epic as Godzilla, or grand and fantastical as Mothra, but I think it's easily the most solid monster flicks ever.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I watched this one yesterday too. It's a good film but... man, I just have to say 4-5 uncut minutes of a barrage against the mountain/countryside is a little too much, lol.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Rodan (1956) HAPPY 65th ANNIVERSARY!
A great movie is celebrating it`s 65th anniversary this year. Time to watch it again. The first appearance of Rodan the fastest kaiju in the Toho-Universe. Unvergotten how the butt-ugly poult eats the Meganulons and nearly Kenji Sahara as a dessert ;)
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:53 am I watched this one yesterday too. It's a good film but... man, I just have to say 4-5 uncut minutes of a barrage against the mountain/countryside is a little too much, lol.
Rodan is a short, yet rather slow film. Personally, I think that's its biggest weakness. It's hard to describe but something about the pacing feels off, maybe it's simply that some scenes go on for too long, and the scene you described from the ending is the perfect example.

In saying this, I do like the film and have a lot of respect for it, and towards the people who made it.
Last edited by EvaGhidorah01 on Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

KaijuMan80
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuMan80 »

Just went to amazon to see if I could I buy this for my collection and no luck :(. Haven’t seen it since I was a kid in the 80s.