Talkback: Rodan (1956)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Talkback: Rodan (1956)

Post by g2vd »

Rodan

Resized Image

Separate threads for discussion.

Monster Discussion #5: Rodan (Showa)

Monster Discussion #8: Meganulon (Showa)

The original thread if there was one has apparently vanished, so here we go again discuss the 1956 Kaiju classic Rodan!
Last edited by g2vd on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Godzilla

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Talkback: Rodan (1956)

Post by Tohosaurus »

I should probably re-watch this sometime soon; it's been a while.

It's one of the better Toho kaiju movies though. The tone is a little different from some later movies and overall it's a strong story that successfully builds up emotion where it needs to. The idea of a giant prehistoric monster wasn't even new in 1956, but they did it well, and that's the point. That's what makes it a classic.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

I watched the Japanese version way back in July. I loved it. I don't know why but I like it more than the U.S. version that I've had for years and never watched.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

One of Toho's best Kaiju films. The story builds up well, and has good acting. The ending is rather touching, as well. I like the original too, but the word at the end of the American version fit the scene very well.

I also enjoy that the Meganulon get a chance to shine. Rodan is the star, but the giant insects make for an excellent horror film start.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

One of the best kaiju films there are out there. The monsters, the buildup, the characters, the music and the effects are so great for their time and shine for the era.

The tense/horror beggining is so good, can't get enough of it every time I watch the movie. Very foreboding and is a terric set-up for what happens later in the movie with the reptilian flying star(s).
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I still wanna see the Bloodthirsty Hawk version with the Jaws music.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

What? Is that for real...? Oh well, different countries had some interesting naming-wise actions to the movies, indeed. :P
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Where did a lot of the strange designs of Rodan on the Japanese posters come from?
The one at the beginning of the thread has Rodan with a strange hawk like head. I'm guessing a lot of the innaccurate designs from the posters were just early designs for the creature that they used in publicity material much like G54 with the early design model being used in many posters and lobby cards.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

They were made like that for publicity purposes, most likely. Similar to how Mothra looked like a mallicious insect when in reality it wasn't the case.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Giga Kaiju wrote:They were made like that for publicity purposes, most likely. Similar to how Mothra looked like a mallicious insect when in reality it wasn't the case.
Well that was really just in the U.S. posters.
Like, why does he look like that? My guess is an early design.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

Concept art for a poster, maybe? In this artwork of the poster, Rodan sort of resembles the one in the movie if you look some distinct elements of the appearance.

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

I remember someone mentioning that they were attempting to reconstruct the American cut using the Japanese version. Anyone know if this is still happening, or what it's like so far?
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Bloodthirsty Hawk is quite the colorful title. At least they don't call Rodan Frankenstein, as Godzilla has been.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

ImageImage
Print ads from the Taiwanese release of the film as Flying Monster.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:I remember someone mentioning that they were attempting to reconstruct the American cut using the Japanese version. Anyone know if this is still happening, or what it's like so far?
I don't know if there was anyone else trying, but I started an attempt myself a month or two ago using the most recent Classic Media DVD as a source. I got about five minutes or so in (about the point where Shigeru starts running for mine after getting word of the flood), but unfortunately lost all that work when my computer suffered an (unrelated) fatal error that forced me to reinstall the OS. :(

It was looking pretty good, if I do say so myself! ^_^()

Some thoughts based on what I did do:

1. Holy COW are there WAY more little edits in the first few minutes of Rodan than I expected! I knew the beginning was rearranged somewhat, but I hadn't realized until I really started working with it in Final Cut just how extensive the recut is on the shot-by-shot level. I grew more and more impressed with it as I went along, I now have a MUCH greater appreciation for the work Robert Eisen put into the American version of the film.

2. Continuing off the first point: to my surprise, very few shots were used as is from the Japanese version. Going in, I assumed all I'd really have to do was locate shots, match them up 1:1, and move along. Not so! Not only were shots moved around, they were also trimmed a little on the front and back ends which made matching frames the most time-consuming part of the project. One of the hardest ones was the first shot of the miners walking toward the mine, since I had a hard time finding a unique enough frame to match it up with.

3. You probably never noticed (I didn't until I was a few hours/several minutes in), but the US version has tiny one-frame cross dissolves covering up the new cuts. I didn't realize it until after getting up to the first office scene and noticed one, then went back and checked the previous cuts to see if that were the case the whole time. My version suddenly looked MUCH closer to the actual US version after I added them - it was a tiny change, but I'd noticed my cut didn't look "right" before and after it did. Neat, huh? ^_^

I may give this another shot one day, but TBH I'm not up for it yet (if only because September was a NIGHTMARE for me personally and I'm not really recovered from that yet).

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Monster Zero wrote:Where did a lot of the strange designs of Rodan on the Japanese posters come from?
The Japanese posters and publicity photos for Rodan use a pre-production maquette. A similar maquette of Angilas can be seen on the original Godzilla Raids Again poster and a lot of publicity shots as well. Same with Mogera, whose maquette looked a lot different from the finished costume.

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Legion1979 wrote:
Monster Zero wrote:Where did a lot of the strange designs of Rodan on the Japanese posters come from?
The Japanese posters and publicity photos for Rodan use a pre-production maquette. A similar maquette of Angilas can be seen on the original Godzilla Raids Again poster and a lot of publicity shots as well. Same with Mogera, whose maquette looked a lot different from the finished costume.
Aha. That's what I was thinking. Thanks for clearing this out for me. :)

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Here is an article/blog David Kalat wrote on Rodan this past April:

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Rodan: http://moviemorlocks.com/2015/04/25/how ... ove-rodan/
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Here is an article/blog David Kalat wrote on Rodan this past April:

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Rodan: http://moviemorlocks.com/2015/04/25/how ... ove-rodan/
He hits the marks pretty well. Always loved the "out of the frying pan" story structure so many people seem bent on criticizing.