Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Talkback: King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)

Post by godjacob »

First Godzilla film I recall watching, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. Only issue is the Kong suit being so ugly, really takes me out of it even if I find the actor's body language to be stellar. Especially considering my fav Godzilla Showa suit is across from it which only causes this look that much worse.

I also wished they handled the Kong absorbs electricity thing better. Either fully commit to the absurd nature of it (Characters being shocked or befuddled at the revelation which would fit with the tone) or an actual explanation to make it appear less of the ass pull it is.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:33 pm I watched this one not long ago, and had some fun with it. I heated up some corn and ate one anytime a monster appeared on screen. Has anyone here tried that?
I have to assume you're the first person to ever try that. Most likely I'd have gone the rest of my life without the idea ever, for a millisecond, occurring to me. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

If there was an award for best B-Movie Villain design of all Godzillas, KingGoji would win. It screams ‘old fashion dinosaur’ and I love it in it’s own special way.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

eabaker wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:13 am
edgaguirus wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:33 pm I watched this one not long ago, and had some fun with it. I heated up some corn and ate one anytime a monster appeared on screen. Has anyone here tried that?
Do you mean popcorn, or were you just devouring ears of corn at an insane rate? And, if the latter - why?
Corn kernels, one at a time. I like corn, but an ear is overdoing it.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:00 am I also wished they handled the Kong absorbs electricity thing better. Either fully commit to the absurd nature of it (Characters being shocked or befuddled at the revelation which would fit with the tone) or an actual explanation to make it appear less of the ass pull it is.
There is an explanation in the Japanese version, although on its own it's unconvincing. At least in the Criterion translation, Dr. Shigezawa justifies it by relating a story about a man in Switzerland who was struck by lightning but became "charged like a battery." This is in response to a reporter who asks him, "Can something so absurd happen?" So it seems to me that the movie fulfills both of your suggestions. :P

But I don't think an explanation or such a reaction is really that necessary - the film had already set up the relationship between Kong and electrical storms in the first act. It's alluded to in the very first scene on the island, where a thunderstorm causes the natives to prostrate themselves in frightened prayer. It doesn't become clear until later that they're not afraid of the thunderstorm but rather that they're afraid of what they associate with it: Kong.

I do agree that there could have been a line like, "So that's why the natives feared the thunder," but that's actually the sort of exposition that Japanese movies, especially of that period, avoided. The American version does have Dr. Johnson preemptively explain it, but the way it's done is very clumsy.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Terasawa wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:58 pm
godjacob wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:00 am I also wished they handled the Kong absorbs electricity thing better. Either fully commit to the absurd nature of it (Characters being shocked or befuddled at the revelation which would fit with the tone) or an actual explanation to make it appear less of the ass pull it is.
There is an explanation in the Japanese version, although on its own it's unconvincing. At least in the Criterion translation, Dr. Shigezawa justifies it by relating a story about a man in Switzerland who was struck by lightning but became "charged like a battery." This is in response to a reporter who asks him, "Can something so absurd happen?" So it seems to me that the movie fulfills both of your suggestions. :P

But I don't think an explanation or such a reaction is really that necessary - the film had already set up the relationship between Kong and electrical storms in the first act. It's alluded to in the very first scene on the island, where a thunderstorm causes the natives to prostrate themselves in frightened prayer. It doesn't become clear until later that they're not afraid of the thunderstorm but rather that they're afraid of what they associate with it: Kong.

I do agree that there could have been a line like, "So that's why the natives feared the thunder," but that's actually the sort of exposition that Japanese movies, especially of that period, avoided. The American version does have Dr. Johnson preemptively explain it, but the way it's done is very clumsy.
I mean I think making more comment on it than that one reply would've helped. The thunder in association with Kong felt more like Kong's roar was equivalent to the thunder before the lighting reveal. Like in say Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla we least see Godzilla getting zapped by the lightning in a training scene before he pulls it out against Mechagodzilla as slight foreshadowing (Even if still a bit of an ass pull).

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I don't feel like any more time spent on Kong's lightning powers was necessary. We are given enough information to follow what's going on, and the story just doesn't call for any more than that. It would be an inefficient use of screen time in a pretty tight movie.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

godjacob wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:55 pmThe thunder in association with Kong felt more like Kong's roar was equivalent to the thunder before the lighting reveal.
The reason the relationship isn't too clear to non-Japanese speakers is because it's a pun. King Kong vs. Godzilla is packed with wordplay, and unfortunately, because of the complicated nature of puns, the official English and German subtitles either don't translate some of these jokes or do so only inadequately (such as with the way Criterion translates the gag about Mr. Tako's name). An example of a pun the Criterion translation apparently doesn't touch at all is in the name of the cowardly sidekick (Furue, "trembling").

Sakurai dismissing the "Mammoth Evil Spirit" as simply lightning is more wordplay that goes untranslated. Both Sakurai and Furue use the word "kaminari," which as I understand it, is the word for lightning and thunder (in the combined sense). Kaminari is not only etymologically related to divinity (one word for god in Japanese is "kami," sharing a root with kaminari), it's also an alternate name for the mythological god of thunder, Raijin (雷神, the characters themselves literally meaning "thunder/lightning god"). So, while the joke is that Sakurai doesn't realize the natives *really are* worshiping a god of thunder, it's also a setup for the third act reveal of Kong's affinity for electricity. It just so happens that the setup is obscured outside of its original Japanese context. :/
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

VOID GHIDORAH
Monsterland Worker

Post by VOID GHIDORAH »

Y’know, I actually like the Showa King Kong design. It’s kinda nice, in a cheesy, old-school way.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

VOID GHIDORAH wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:24 am Y’know, I actually like the Showa King Kong design. It’s kinda nice, in a cheesy, old-school way.
Maybe it’s just because this was my first Godzilla (and King Kong) movie that I ever watched, but I adore these designs, goofiness and all. There’s a rubbery, latex-y charm to them, like a lot of the old suits.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

A very good movie, it’s got an entertaining and well written cast of characters, witty and clever writing, and really fun kaiju scenes all throughout.

The final battle’s not one of my favorites in the franchise, but it’s still super cool.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I wish Tadao Takashima and Yu Fujiki had been in more tokusatsu movies together.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^ hard agree. I also wish they had more time to work their dynamic in Atragon.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:26 am I also wish they had more time to work their dynamic in Atragon.
Yeah, I like Atragon a lot but it's unfortunate that it worked out that way.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Hypothetically, imagine Fujiki playing Takashima's dopey assistant in Son of Godzilla.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I feel bad watching this film, since one of the octopuses used for the film was eaten. (Octopuses are one of my favorite animals)

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

^ I find Oodako really cool as a "jobber" monster, but the knowledge that so many octopi were tortured for KKvG does suck some of the joy out of the movie. Especially considering how intelligent they are.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If (King) Kong goes public domain in 2029, does that increase the odds of the original cut of this film being released in NA again?

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Interesting question, but I doubt it. Kong may be pubic domain then but that probably wouldn't change the weird licencing kerfuffle that movie is tangled up in.
It would just mean you could make your own Kong films without getting sued

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:48 pm If (King) Kong goes public domain in 2029, does that increase the odds of the original cut of this film being released in NA again?
Universal controls the North American rights to KKvG through 2057. The Kong character entering public domain has no effect on that.
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.