Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
TheSecondComing
Futurian

Re: Talkback: The Mysterians (1957)

Post by TheSecondComing »

Been a long time since I watched the movie, but it was on my mind today because I was reading about Prophecies of Nostradamus and seems I stumbled across the fate of the Mogera suit.
Since this was a full-scale production, Toho required the use of all of their own visual effects soundstages. However, during filming of a special effects scene, a pyrotechnical accident caused a fire that burned down part of the main visual effects soundstage, an incident that was very widely reported in Japan at the time. The fire destroyed a number of costumes and props from earlier Toho tokusatsu classics that were kept in storage at the time, including the original Mogera costume from The Mysterians (1957).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071923/trivia?ref_=tt_ql_2

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

TheSecondComing wrote:Been a long time since I watched the movie, but it was on my mind today because I was reading about Prophecies of Nostradamus and seems I stumbled across the fate of the Mogera suit.
Since this was a full-scale production, Toho required the use of all of their own visual effects soundstages. However, during filming of a special effects scene, a pyrotechnical accident caused a fire that burned down part of the main visual effects soundstage, an incident that was very widely reported in Japan at the time. The fire destroyed a number of costumes and props from earlier Toho tokusatsu classics that were kept in storage at the time, including the original Mogera costume from The Mysterians (1957).
Hmmm, that's interesting, I wonder what other suits caught fire
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That's too bad. I liked the Moguera suit.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I can't help but feel bad for the Myterians themselves in the film.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LegendZilla wrote:I can't help but feel bad for the Myterians themselves in the film.
Why

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Godzillian wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:I can't help but feel bad for the Mysterians themselves in the film.
Why
Isn't it obvious? They were pacifists who just wanted the right to interbreed with our women because their species was dying out. I know they started a fire at the beginning of the film, but if the humans just told them not to do anything like that any more and take responsibility, then everything would've been cool

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

LegendZilla wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:I can't help but feel bad for the Mysterians themselves in the film.
Why
Isn't it obvious? They were pacifists who just wanted the right to interbreed with our women because their species was dying out. I know they started a fire at the beginning of the film, but if the humans just told them not to do anything like that any more and take responsibility, then everything would've been cool
You're forgetting that they were planning to reduce Tokyo to ashes either way with their little underground fort digging operation. The Mysterians are just as much victims as Godzilla is portrayed in the first movie, so kinda sympathetic, but still, they were planning to take over anyway.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Space Hunter M wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Godzillian wrote: Why
You're forgetting that they were planning to reduce Tokyo to ashes either way with their little underground fort digging operation. The Mysterians are just as much victims as Godzilla is portrayed in the first movie, so kinda sympathetic, but still, they were planning to take over anyway.
The Earthlings could've at least tried to reason with them beforehand.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

^ You're absolutely right, and maybe if Poland would have kindly reasoned with the nazis, they wouldn't have invaded…
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LegendZilla wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
The Earthlings could've at least tried to reason with them beforehand.
The Mysterians weren't exactly going to listen to reason

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
TheSecondComing wrote:Been a long time since I watched the movie, but it was on my mind today because I was reading about Prophecies of Nostradamus and seems I stumbled across the fate of the Mogera suit.
Hmmm, that's interesting, I wonder what other suits caught fire
Damn, since it 1974, it could've been anything from between 1954 - 1974, so it makes it hard to narrow down the stuff destroyed.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

I'm going to watch this tonight. I've been attempting to venture outside of the Godzilla-verse as of lately. I thoroughly enjoyed Atragon. Space ameoba was ok, not great, not terrible. My father said this one was pretty good and from what I've read it's one of the better films. We'll see!

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

This one is one of my favorites, a real fun movie. You'll enjoy it :)
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Stevo_1985 wrote:I'm going to watch this tonight. I've been attempting to venture outside of the Godzilla-verse as of lately. I thoroughly enjoyed Atragon. Space ameoba was ok, not great, not terrible. My father said this one was pretty good and from what I've read it's one of the better films. We'll see!
It's definitely a masterpiece of production design, but the story and characterizations aren't as compelling as one might hope.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Actually watched it early this morning. I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as Atragon but pretty good overall. I will say it was a strange feeling watching the moguera attack the town and people. I guess because Heisei Moguera was the first one I was introduced to. I did like the mysterians.. I keep wanting to call them the mysterons.. but.. I actually thought their "suits" were a much better design then the later aliens we would see in the series (showa xillians, kilaaks) One question though.. was the second Moguera cut from the English version? Reading his bio here apparently there was a second one who was crushed by a markalite cannon but I didn't see him.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Stevo_1985 wrote:Actually watched it early this morning. I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as Atragon but pretty good overall. I will say it was a strange feeling watching the moguera attack the town and people. I guess because Heisei Moguera was the first one I was introduced to. I did like the mysterians.. I keep wanting to call them the mysterons.. but.. I actually thought their "suits" were a much better design then the later aliens we would see in the series (showa xillians, kilaaks) One question though.. was the second Moguera cut from the English version? Reading his bio here apparently there was a second one who was crushed by a markalite cannon but I didn't see him.
He was cut from the US theatrical version, but even in the original cut his appearance is so brief you could easily miss it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

Well that stinks.. I liked him. Kinda wish he got just a tad more screen time.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Stevo_1985 wrote:I keep wanting to call them the mysterons..
Captain Scarlet's arch foes...

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

ThunderScore wrote:
Stevo_1985 wrote:I keep wanting to call them the mysterons..
Captain Scarlet's arch foes...
Captain Scarlet > Thunderbirds

The mysterons and the mysterians. Both remnant of an extraterrestrial race,both from mars(sort of). Except the mysterons weren't really dicks till Captain Black attempted to destroy their city.. The Mysterians were just straight up dicks from the start.

Edit.

Thinking about it they weren't total dicks. They did attempt to "conquer" the earth rather peacefully albeit omitting what their true intentions were.. You would think this taught them a lesson but nooo they invite the xilians with open arms when they came down. Stupid humans.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

I think your first impression was correct...