Hanna Barbera Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

What do you think of the Hanna Babera Godzilla

Like it
57%
Hate it
12%
Indifferent
30%

Total votes: 115

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Hanna Barbera Godzilla

Post by Rody »

I like Hanna Barbera's Godzilla. Despite some stereotypical features, the design and character were handled pretty well. Even the roar, for me, is rather unique and distinctive. I loved the show as a kid, even though I only saw a handful of episodes.
Want to know what I REALLY like about the show, though? The music. It isn't Ifukube, but the composer(s) for the series produced some very fun and memorable tracks. I wonder if the music was ever published in CD form?

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Rody wrote:I like Hanna Barbera's Godzilla. Despite some stereotypical features, the design and character were handled pretty well. Even the roar, for me, is rather unique and distinctive. I loved the show as a kid, even though I only saw a handful of episodes.
Want to know what I REALLY like about the show, though? The music. It isn't Ifukube, but the composer(s) for the series produced some very fun and memorable tracks. I wonder if the music was ever published in CD form?
When it comes to the music. IIRC a lot of the music was just recycled from their earlier works, like Johnny Quest and Scooby-Doo.

As for the show, I grew up watching it over and over again. Now I look at it as an okay-bad cartoon.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

pikmintaro
G-Force Personnel

Post by pikmintaro »

I've been watching some of the episodes, and although I don't like it as much as I did when I was a kid, I still enjoy it well enough, my main complaints are just that Godzilla breathes fire instead of atomic rays, doesn't have his trademark roar (Which they were apparently unable to use so it wasn't HB's fault, and Ted Cassidy's vocals make him sound angry enough.) and he's green... but those are minor nitpicks, and I still love this incarnation of Godzilla he is still very intimidating, and is the biggest badass on the show, his laser eyes are kind of weird (I guess a tradeoff for not having atomic breath.) but I don't mind them.
Oh and they gave him four toes instead of three so that's one major plus right there.

As for him helping the humans, well is it really that different from his portrayal in the later Showa movies? apparently he is just helping them because they saved Godzooky anyways so it's not like he's being forced to do it, there are two examples from TV Tropes
#1: After the crew of the Calico come to Godzooky's aid, the giant Kaiju is grateful and repays them with his continued protection.
#2: He's forcing the humans to look after Godzooky so he doesn't have to constantly deal with him.

As for Godzooky which is probably what a lot of people hate the most about the show, I'm fine with him he isn't as annoying as some cartoon sidekicks, and he makes me think of Yoshi, to quote TV Tropes again he is like a "mixture of Minilla, and Scooby Doo" except thank God he doesn't actually talk.
And apparently according to TV Tropes (Yes again sorry.) Hanna Barbera wanted to use Minilla in the show, but Toho wouldn't allow it so they came up with Godzooky instead, and they wanted to use the other Kaiju like Rodan or Ghidorah, but once again Toho wouldn't allow it so a lot of the monsters are expies of them (Like the Fire Bird in the first episode.)

All in all, I think it was a very good attempt at a Godzilla cartoon, it's not perfect, but I still enjoy it a lot, and Godzilla has enough of what makes Godzilla, Godzilla that I don't mind the changes so much, I also like the music, and not just the recycled music from previous shows, but the new music made specifically for the show, especially the main theme that they use for Godzilla fighting.
"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13"
Favorite Godzilla movies
Showa Mothra vs Godzilla| Heisei Godzilla vs Destroyer| Millenium Godzilla Final Wars

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The monsters were creative. You can see Toho kaiju in some of them, but others were unique kaiju. I liked the Megavolt Monsters and Axor.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I always enjoyed the show myself. I especially enjoy the one with the Red Bamboo-esque terrorist organization, it was fun seeing Godzilla take on planes and tanks on the show for a change.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The fights are pretty nice although at times they look a little awkward like here. It's like Godzilla is giving this critter the Heimlich

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Godzillian wrote:It's like Godzilla is giving this critter the Heimlich
Let's hope that's what he's doing.

:lol:
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I watched it as a kid when it played on the Cartoon Network (back when it was a channel worth watching). I didn't care for the roar, but it had some solid monsters. Godzilla vs. the Chimera? Count me in.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Most of the time Godzilla's design is pretty solid, I like it. However, the iconic roar and nuclear breath are sorely missed.

Does anyone know if the soundtrack was ever released in any form? The various instrumental versions of the main theme have grown on me, they're pretty groovy.

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Since this thread has been bumbed. I found a video which adds in the normal roar and beam effect for Godzilla, and with a new intro complete with the Godzilla March.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sV6FAhQO9jo
Godzilla

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Wait are you telling me there is actual merchandise of Hanna Barbera Godzilla? (Excluding the ToyVault Godzooky)
Godzilla

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

g2vd wrote:
Wait are you telling me there is actual merchandise of Hanna Barbera Godzilla? (Excluding the ToyVault Godzooky)
He should've posted pics with that, but yes -

These two and the Toyvault Godzooky plush are the closet we got to figures from this series.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Mr. X wrote:He should've posted pics with that, but yes -
He didn't have any to post...

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

ThunderScore wrote:
Just wondering why you posted a picture of tags for toys without posting the toys themselves. Rather odd thing to post with no explanation whatsoever.
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Mr. X wrote:
ThunderScore wrote:
Just wondering why you posted a picture of tags for toys without posting the toys themselves. Rather odd thing to post with no explanation whatsoever.
Not a tag. Part of the box that the items were displayed in.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

ThunderScore wrote:Not a tag. Part of the box that the items were displayed in.
Same difference.

These vintage pictures you post are pretty cool, I appreciate it, but add a sentence or two to them, especially when it's a piece of merchandise like this.
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Mr. X wrote:Same difference.
These vintage pictures you post are pretty cool, I appreciate it, but add a sentence or two to them, especially when it's a piece of merchandise like this.
I honestly didn't think any explanation was needed.