Hanna Barbera Godzilla

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

What do you think of the Hanna Babera Godzilla

Like it
57%
Hate it
12%
Indifferent
30%

Total votes: 115

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Re: Hanna Barbera Godzilla

Post by LamangoKaijura »

BountyHunter wrote:So this show still hasn't received a complete series did release?
Cause Toho are assholes.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

This HB Godzilla's lasers might be more practical given
Spoiler:
Shin Godzilla's powers
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Tohosaurus wrote:This HB Godzilla's lasers might be more practical given
Spoiler:
Shin Godzilla's powers
Out of all the places Shin could have fired a damn laser, his eyes were like, on back order. He would have pissed a thermonuclear beam if Anno could imagine it.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

I saw the first and second season back when someone uploaded it to youtube. The 2nd season had somewhat better animation and whenever Godzilla was swimming underwater he seamed to have less off model looking moments. his laser beams, human roars, and fire breath were off-putting to me at first but gradually I began to accept these things.
my favorite episodes were:
1: Micro-Godzilla where Godzilla shrunk, during his time at human size it was interesting to see how he disliked being small and how even captain majors realized it wasn't a good idea to get too close to him. The whole episode was interesting.
2: The city in the clouds had my favorite monster from this show, the power dragon, who actually sounds like an animal and was an ok fighter.
3: A tie between the episode with Axor and the Island of doom, Axor was possibly Godzilla's equal in combat in this show and it was astounding how much character he has, god complex and all. Plus, Godzooky even breathed fire! The island of doom perfectly showed just what would happen if HB Godzilla's allies were killed/captured, he could straight up murder an army if he had the mind to do so.

Besides those episodes, 3 individual moments caught my attention.
1: when the frios/ice people fucking FROZE GODZILLA!!! :shock: You know they're a true threat when they can neutralize the king of the monsters so easily.
2: when the special torpedo form the German WW1 sub knocked Big G unconscious, the animation showing him on the ocean floor still bubbling and smoldering while zooky tried to wake him up was rather shocking.
3: During the penultimate episode when Godzilla managed to prevent tectonic plates from crushing him. Now that, is awesome.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

Godzooky -

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

I grew up watching HB cartoons and I normally hated all those stupid annoying kiddish characters (like Scrappy Doo and Gleek the Space Monkey), but Goddzooky was the only one I actually kinda liked.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I always loved Godzooky, who can't love a Varan Minya hybrid lol.
Loved this show as a kid, earliest memories is watching this on cartoon network during the Godzilla power hour, then boomerang when they made the switch. Only Hanna barbera toon I liked besides Herculoids
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Mill Creek Entertainment should put this out on DVD or Hanna Barbera themselves.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:Mill Creek Entertainment should put this out on DVD or Hanna Barbera themselves.
The first season is already out through Classic Media

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Godzillian wrote:
GodzillaBurgh wrote:Mill Creek Entertainment should put this out on DVD or Hanna Barbera themselves.
The first season is already out through Classic Media
I know that. I meant the WHOLE series.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

ThunderScore
Monarch Researcher

Post by ThunderScore »

For your adult coloring book -

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Godzillian wrote:Joseph Barbera came out in an interview and said that the show was gutted by standards and practices and that if it wasn't for them the show would have been considerable different
And this is yet another reason why Standards and Practices should never have been created in the first place and that those so-called "concerned" parents and teachers who created it in the first place were a bunch of cackling old busybodies who were ultimately making a big fuss over, and worrying about, nothing and who only ended up singlehandedly ruining animated TV series for many years to come.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

pikmintaro wrote:I've been watching some of the episodes, and although I don't like it as much as I did when I was a kid, I still enjoy it well enough, my main complaints are just that Godzilla breathes fire instead of atomic rays, doesn't have his trademark roar (Which they were apparently unable to use so it wasn't HB's fault, and Ted Cassidy's vocals make him sound angry enough.) and he's green... but those are minor nitpicks, and I still love this incarnation of Godzilla he is still very intimidating, and is the biggest badass on the show, his laser eyes are kind of weird (I guess a tradeoff for not having atomic breath.) but I don't mind them.
Oh and they gave him four toes instead of three so that's one major plus right there.

As for him helping the humans, well is it really that different from his portrayal in the later Showa movies? apparently he is just helping them because they saved Godzooky anyways so it's not like he's being forced to do it, there are two examples from TV Tropes
#1: After the crew of the Calico come to Godzooky's aid, the giant Kaiju is grateful and repays them with his continued protection.
#2: He's forcing the humans to look after Godzooky so he doesn't have to constantly deal with him.

As for Godzooky which is probably what a lot of people hate the most about the show, I'm fine with him he isn't as annoying as some cartoon sidekicks, and he makes me think of Yoshi, to quote TV Tropes again he is like a "mixture of Minilla, and Scooby Doo" except thank God he doesn't actually talk.
And apparently according to TV Tropes (Yes again sorry.) Hanna Barbera wanted to use Minilla in the show, but Toho wouldn't allow it so they came up with Godzooky instead, and they wanted to use the other Kaiju like Rodan or Ghidorah, but once again Toho wouldn't allow it so a lot of the monsters are expies of them (Like the Fire Bird in the first episode.)

All in all, I think it was a very good attempt at a Godzilla cartoon, it's not perfect, but I still enjoy it a lot, and Godzilla has enough of what makes Godzilla, Godzilla that I don't mind the changes so much, I also like the music, and not just the recycled music from previous shows, but the new music made specifically for the show, especially the main theme that they use for Godzilla fighting.
Oh, so that's where it was said that Minilla was supposed to appear in the series! I'll have to check that out and see if it's still in there.

UPDATE: Yes, it is!
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I first saw the show at a perfect point in time for my fandom.

I was a young kid that liked monsters and action/adventure shows. I had Cartoon Network which, at the time, was all about showing old cartoons (back then, I think all they had was Hanna Barbera's entire library, most if not all of Paramount's, a good chunk of Warner Bros, and a few oddities here and there).

But most importantly, I was a Godzilla fan that was starved for more material. I was still trying to track down all the movies. Destroy All Monsters was my Holy Grail at the time, and I just couldn't find it anywhere. And lets not mention that the Heisei series was going on in Japan without my knowing since I had no internet or access to information about it in the early 90s. Merchandise was also lacking, and I just had to take what I was given (fortunately, the Trendmasters Toyline was right around the corner).

Then one day on Cartoon Network, I see this gem, and it made me happy. I got to see more Godzilla, and I got to see him once again as the hero fighting off other weird and crazy monsters. I didn't mind that the roar was different, or he had eye lasers, or that none of his Toho Co-stars appeared along side him. I was just happy to see more of The Big G, and a whole new band of monsters joining in was A-OK to me.

That said, I did hate Godzookie, even back then. But as a kid, I was used to dopey and cutesy sidekicks. Snarf and Orko definitely come to mind in that regard. So while I hated him, I had also trained myself to tolerate him by exposure to those characters. Fortunately, I actually did enjoy the human cast enough to carry the episodes when Godzilla wasn't around, and when it came monster fight time, it delivered the goods.

I also liked how they were able to come up with different scenarios for Godzilla to be in. They worked in Greek Mythology, Egyptian Mythology, WWI history with some 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea type of stuff, a prehistoric island adventure, an alien invasion, and even the Honey-We-Shrunk-Godzilla style adventure (yes yes, this predates that movie, but let me have my joke). It was just a blast. And the wide variety of monsters was fun too, with some of them being completely original (Axor, The Power Dragon, The Megavolt Monsters) and others seemed inspired by classic kaijus (Fire Bird is like Rodan, Earth Eater is like Baragon, Golden Guardians are like Daimajin).

But beyond that, it was just fun, and it helped give me my Godzilla fix while I was looking for all the other movies I hadn't seen yet. And considering I wasn't a huge fan of the video games, the Marvel comics were before my time (I didn't even know about it till years later), and there wasn't much else out there, this was nice to have.
Last edited by GojiDog on Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Binged this series for the first time and I love it and I can’t really pinpoint why. I think its because it reminds me of when I would watch Saturday cartoons like Tom and Jerry every day on DVD
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:57 pm Binged this series for the first time and I love it and I can’t really pinpoint why. I think its because it reminds me of when I would watch Saturday cartoons like Tom and Jerry every day on DVD
I've only seen the first few episodes. I have some old dvds. Is there an official recent release or can I just "find it online?"
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:32 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 4:57 pm Binged this series for the first time and I love it and I can’t really pinpoint why. I think its because it reminds me of when I would watch Saturday cartoons like Tom and Jerry every day on DVD
I've only seen the first few episodes. I have some old dvds. Is there an official recent release or can I just "find it online?"
I watched it on the Hanna Barbera Godzilla Volume 1 DVD with only 4 episodes. There’s also Volume 2 and 3 DVD’s I’m considering purchasing. Can’t find/watch it anywhere else to my knowledge
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Classic Media only released the first season (13 episodes) across three volumes. The second season has never been available on video, but you can pretty easily find 25-year-old recordings of those episodes online.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I also have the volume 1 and 2 dvds. They have some good episodes, though some of the later episodes of season one are more interesting.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Kinda crazy that this is so hard to find...well this and the Toho Kong cartoon.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda