Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Anguirus
G-Grasper

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Anguirus »

Finally some love for this underrated pic! The Anguirus scenes are bliss.

Zasraniec
Monsterland Worker

Post by Zasraniec »

Overlooked movie. I guess since the previous was such a landmark in film making it is unrealistic to expect the sequel to even do as good. While it may lack the important social commentary of nuclear weapons it is still solid overall and one of the best Showa films. Anguirus is a welcome addition and it is great seeing him for the first time! Bringing back Yamane and referencing the events in the past film was also very refreshing since generally Godzilla movies don't like to reference past entries much even if they are connected. The fights between Godzilla and Anguirus are very interesting and memorable alongside the convict escape sequence that attracts Godzilla as well as the finale that results in the avalanche.

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

Anguirus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:57 am Finally some love for this underrated pic! The Anguirus scenes are bliss.
Anguillas is a great kaiju, and he had the honor of the first fight. :Anguirus:
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

baran
Ronin

Post by baran »

Zasraniec wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:00 pm ... alongside the convict escape sequence that attracts Godzilla as well as the finale that results in the avalanche.
One of my favorite scenes, actually. That whole bit of Godzilla emerging from the sea and approaching Osaka was an exceptional display of how to build tension in a scene. There's almost a surreal, nightmare quality when the convicts' wreck and the subsequent explosion draws Godzilla's attention back to the city.

Gigantis
Keizer

Post by Gigantis »

So i found this interesting tidbit on Anguirus' suit. Despite being portrayed as brown or grey in color, apparently his original suit was a far cry from that.

"The color of the original Anguirus suit was unclear onscreen, as the film it appeared in was shot in black-and-white. However, according to modeler Masao Yagi the suit was a light emerald green."

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gigantis wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:47 am So i found this interesting tidbit on Anguirus' suit. Despite being portrayed as brown or grey in color, apparently his original suit was a far cry from that.

"The color of the original Anguirus suit was unclear onscreen, as the film it appeared in was shot in black-and-white. However, according to modeler Masao Yagi the suit was a light emerald green."
Many of the few Angurius 55' figures that exist reference this, but I admit it's not something I've consciously noticed until it's been brought up:

Green might seem generic on a monster but amongst some of the other brown reptilian monsters it stands out.

Hnng, I'm kind of in the mood to rewatch GRA.
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Voyager
Futurian

Post by Voyager »

GRA Anguirus remains my favourite design. There's a certain draconic element that stands out to me.
We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day…

shadowgigan
G-Grasper

Post by shadowgigan »

Voyager wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:41 pm GRA Anguirus remains my favourite design. There's a certain draconic element that stands out to me.
Man, its been growing on me in recent years, ill give you that.
>>>Vote for BioGoji<<<

HEISEI WON. THE ELECTION WAS RIGGED. I DEMAND A RECOUNT.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Futurian

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I do not like this movie in the slightest. It’s one of the most boring Godzilla movies, the characters are all bland and flat (I can only remember one character’s name, Kobayashi, just because he died and they said his name the most), and the action scenes do not look good at all. Military vs Godzilla mostly consists of Godzilla standing still while they shoot him over and over again, Godzilla vs Anguirus looks janky as hell and the hits have no impact until Godzilla starts biting Anguirus’s throat, and the final battle in the ice basin goes on entirely too long and gets so repetitive.
Second in Command & Primary Verifier of the KWCE

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Voyager
Futurian

Post by Voyager »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:15 pm I do not like this movie in the slightest. It’s one of the most boring Godzilla movies, the characters are all bland and flat (I can only remember one character’s name, Kobayashi, just because he died and they said his name the most), and the action scenes do not look good at all. Military vs Godzilla mostly consists of Godzilla standing still while they shoot him over and over again, Godzilla vs Anguirus looks janky as hell and the hits have no impact until Godzilla starts biting Anguirus’s throat, and the final battle in the ice basin goes on entirely too long and gets so repetitive.
Literally this.
We'll meet again
Don't know where
Don't know when
But I know we'll meet again some sunny day…