Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Omegazilla »

Underrated film. It isn't the best movie in the series and is far from perfect but it delivers in being entertaining and shouldn't be as overlooked as it is. It is nice to see a darker and more serious Showa movie as those become less and less prominent as the series went on. Nice to see Anguirus' debut alongside the first kaiju fight featuring Godzilla. This is of course only talking about the original Japanese version. The English dub is absolutely terrible unless you really enjoy the corny dubs.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Omegazilla wrote:Underrated film. It isn't the best movie in the series and is far from perfect but it delivers in being entertaining and shouldn't be as overlooked as it is. It is nice to see a darker and more serious Showa movie as those become less and less prominent as the series went on. Nice to see Anguirus' debut alongside the first kaiju fight featuring Godzilla. This is of course only talking about the original Japanese version. The English dub is absolutely terrible unless you really enjoy the corny dubs.
I may be wrong here (and if I am, please tell me), but wasn't the same narrator's voice used earlier in the American version of Rodan?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Yes, Keye Luke was the narrator/lead character in both Rodan and Gigantis. It was largely the same voice talent in both films.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Terasawa wrote:Yes, Keye Luke was the narrator/lead character in both Rodan and Gigantis. It was largely the same voice talent in both films.
Thanks! Then I was right after all.

It's a shame, I think, that the U.S. version of Rodan is so well regarded, while Godzilla Raids Again practically got the short end of the stick in its U.S. version.

I saw the Gigantis the Fire Monster version on VHS back in the day. The monster scenes were good, with the fight scenes looking like a kaiju version of a dogfight (except for the fact that they were also sped-up too fast; I'm glad that they never did that again (I chalk it up to being a fluke - a one-time only accident)) and one statement that I read in an article in G-Fan somewhere (I think) basically called this version a perfect example of how NOT to dub a foreign film!
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Thinking about it, there’s a possibility I dislike this film because I seldom watch it separately from 1954, and always watch it a day or two after. It obviously can’t compare...
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It really can't compare. One of the most standout moments to me on that last rewatch was the recap with the '54 footage, where I was kind of staggered by how great that rampage looked, the fantastic cinematography, compared to GRA itself. I don't think I'd ever fully appreciated the quality of Gojira's visuals until then...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote:It really can't compare. One of the most standout moments to me on that last rewatch was the recap with the '54 footage, where I was kind of staggered by how great that rampage looked, the fantastic cinematography, compared to GRA itself. I don't think I'd ever fully appreciated the quality of Gojira's visuals until then...
Yeah. I think the film following it also doesn’t help. Don’t get me wrong, King Kong Vs. Godzilla isn’t as good as 54, but it’s just so novel, and the Japanese version is really good. The fight between Kong and Godzilla is more varied and interesting. And of course, Mothra vs Godzilla/GTTHM follow. I think GRA is surrounded by greats.

One thing that I do think is a minor stand out, is I always recall some of the miniatures that are destroyed by Angurius and Godzilla being quite well done. You get a good sense of chaos. Same thing for Angurius vs Godzilla on the island and when they’re on screen. However, I don’t think the chaos between the two monsters saves the film from the copious amount of filler, poor structure and completely dull characters...

Make fun of Godzilla Final Wars, Godzilla’s Revenge etc...but GRA is the only Godzilla film that flat out bores me.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I feel the first half is engaging, but once Godzilla kills Anguirus, it does slow the film down.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Thought you would all appreciate this:

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I used to not be so hot on this one, but I've warmed up to it considerably. I think the domestic drama trappings make it a bit too dull for most, but it has some subtle charms , and I absolutely love the finale on the glacier.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Angilasman wrote:I used to not be so hot on this one, but I've warmed up to it considerably. I think the domestic drama trappings make it a bit too dull for most, but it has some subtle charms , and I absolutely love the finale on the glacier.
Fun fact, Godzilla wasn't just a suit in the climax, but also briefly used a wind up toy!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

That is a really cool fact, I had no clue.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I knew about the wind up Godzilla, but I had never seen those pictures before! Cool!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Angilasman wrote:I used to not be so hot on this one, but I've warmed up to it considerably. I think the domestic drama trappings make it a bit too dull for most, but it has some subtle charms , and I absolutely love the finale on the glacier.
Exactly how I feel. It took a lot of time to come around on it.

I especially like the sense of dreadful anticipation that permeates most of the movie. I think the movie is very much inviting comparisons to the US’s bombing of Japan in the later years of WWII. The civilian perspective only enhances this.

Of course there are poor aspects of it: Tsuburaya’s FX aren’t nearly as refined as they’d eventually be, and Sato’s score frankly sucks. The screenplay’s structure is a bit awkward too, especially with the return to business as usual after Osaka is destroyed. All of these things would be ironed out by the time the series returned in the 60s, but I don’t think it’s fair to compare GRA to the later Godzillas. It’s the Godzilla movie most like the typical non-sfx programmers Toho was producing during this period.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:
Exactly how I feel. It took a lot of time to come around on it.

I especially like the sense of dreadful anticipation that permeates most of the movie. I think the movie is very much inviting comparisons to the US’s bombing of Japan in the later years of WWII. The civilian perspective only enhances this.

Of course there are poor aspects of it: Tsuburaya’s FX aren’t nearly as refined as they’d eventually be, and Sato’s score frankly sucks. The screenplay’s structure is a bit awkward too, especially with the return to business as usual after Osaka is destroyed. All of these things would be ironed out by the time the series returned in the 60s, but I don’t think it’s fair to compare GRA to the later Godzillas. It’s the Godzilla movie most like the typical non-sfx programmers Toho was producing during this period.
It's a movie with some serious structural problems, but figuring out a structure with which to sequelize Godzilla was inherently going to present some challenges, and require some trial and error. The fact that they succeeded so well by movie three, and more-or-less perfect a formula by movie four (and then had the wisdom to immediately vary it) is pretty stunning.

Where GRA most succeeds is in its atmosphere. The tension really is palpable, even during many of the more mundane stretches (until the ending becomes a little too drawn out).
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I think the recent covid situation has made me think how, in real life large-scale disasters, sure there's fear and whatnot, but there's also a lot of sitting around and making small talk with your family and people you know. When chaos happens it's not all action; a lot of things pause for most people, and at a certain level life goes on because you got to keep doing stuff. Godzilla Raids Again ends up tapping into that.

I think my favorite part of the movie is before the finale when Koizumi's character ends up meeting all his old airforce buddies. Sure, it's setting up something that'll be important to the plot, but it always struck me as a very genuine moment.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^ It’s true to life but I don’t like that Godzilla then becomes an afterthought until he shows up again. I think they could have amplified their point by having the characters mention that Godzilla could show up again any time, but in the meantime they have lives to live. The shift to Hokkaido in the movie is just awkward.

But I can look past most of the flaws because there’s still a lot to like about this one that’s uncommon for its genre. For example, as with Rodan, the semi-documentary style sequences giving us a rare look into blue collar Japanese life in the ‘50s. There are precious few kaiju movies that depict the lives of “normal” people, and this is one of them.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

tenup
G-Force Personnel

Godzilla Raids Again is scary

Post by tenup »

This is one film that seems to be overlooked overall and it has always had this haunting effect on me. This was one of the first Godzilla films I owned as a child. I remember getting the VHS copy as a gift for Christmas and would enjoy playing it over and over despite it having very poor quality audio.

One of the things that never quite settled well with me with the film is Godzilla himself. My dad would always tell me it wasn't Godzilla because Godzilla is dead. Being young I didnt understand this because it sure looked like Godzilla and I would contest my dad's argument. Also the American dub version featured Godzilla having Anguirus roar which made my dad's point more convincing.

Now this is where it gets scary because it wasn't til years after the fact that I saw the original 54 film (well actually the 56 American edit) that confirmed what my dad was telling me. Godzilla was killed in that movie yet he reappears in Raids again. I believe theres a scene where scientists are going over their explanation to why this is but I dont recall if it's a different creature or a resurrection? And Godzilla is vicious in this. The scene where the police and escaped convicts caused that massive explosion directing Godzilla's attention always gave me chillz. And that erie score makes it bone chilling

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Godzilla Raids Again is scary

Post by Spuro »

Godzilla Raids Again definitely has much stronger ties to the horror genre than most other Godzilla sequels, in my eyes. Only The Return of Godzilla would match it, with Godzilla vs Hedorah in a distant third place. I'd still hesitate to place the horror label on any of those three, though.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Godzilla Raids Again is scary

Post by eabaker »

tenup wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:15 pmI believe theres a scene where scientists are going over their explanation to why this is but I dont recall if it's a different creature or a resurrection?
It's a different member of the same species.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.