Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Re: Talkback Thread #2: Godzilla Raids Again (1955)

Post by Anguirus »

Finally some love for this underrated pic! The Anguirus scenes are bliss.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

Overlooked movie. I guess since the previous was such a landmark in film making it is unrealistic to expect the sequel to even do as good. While it may lack the important social commentary of nuclear weapons it is still solid overall and one of the best Showa films. Anguirus is a welcome addition and it is great seeing him for the first time! Bringing back Yamane and referencing the events in the past film was also very refreshing since generally Godzilla movies don't like to reference past entries much even if they are connected. The fights between Godzilla and Anguirus are very interesting and memorable alongside the convict escape sequence that attracts Godzilla as well as the finale that results in the avalanche.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Anguirus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:57 am Finally some love for this underrated pic! The Anguirus scenes are bliss.
Anguillas is a great kaiju, and he had the honor of the first fight. :Anguirus:
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

baran
Ronin

Post by baran »

Zasraniec wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:00 pm ... alongside the convict escape sequence that attracts Godzilla as well as the finale that results in the avalanche.
One of my favorite scenes, actually. That whole bit of Godzilla emerging from the sea and approaching Osaka was an exceptional display of how to build tension in a scene. There's almost a surreal, nightmare quality when the convicts' wreck and the subsequent explosion draws Godzilla's attention back to the city.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So i found this interesting tidbit on Anguirus' suit. Despite being portrayed as brown or grey in color, apparently his original suit was a far cry from that.

"The color of the original Anguirus suit was unclear onscreen, as the film it appeared in was shot in black-and-white. However, according to modeler Masao Yagi the suit was a light emerald green."

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gigantis wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:47 am So i found this interesting tidbit on Anguirus' suit. Despite being portrayed as brown or grey in color, apparently his original suit was a far cry from that.

"The color of the original Anguirus suit was unclear onscreen, as the film it appeared in was shot in black-and-white. However, according to modeler Masao Yagi the suit was a light emerald green."
Many of the few Angurius 55' figures that exist reference this, but I admit it's not something I've consciously noticed until it's been brought up:

Green might seem generic on a monster but amongst some of the other brown reptilian monsters it stands out.

Hnng, I'm kind of in the mood to rewatch GRA.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GRA Anguirus remains my favourite design. There's a certain draconic element that stands out to me.
For Emperor and Empire!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Voyager wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:41 pm GRA Anguirus remains my favourite design. There's a certain draconic element that stands out to me.
Man, its been growing on me in recent years, ill give you that.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

I do not like this movie in the slightest. It’s one of the most boring Godzilla movies, the characters are all bland and flat (I can only remember one character’s name, Kobayashi, just because he died and they said his name the most), and the action scenes do not look good at all. Military vs Godzilla mostly consists of Godzilla standing still while they shoot him over and over again, Godzilla vs Anguirus looks janky as hell and the hits have no impact until Godzilla starts biting Anguirus’s throat, and the final battle in the ice basin goes on entirely too long and gets so repetitive.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:15 pm I do not like this movie in the slightest. It’s one of the most boring Godzilla movies, the characters are all bland and flat (I can only remember one character’s name, Kobayashi, just because he died and they said his name the most), and the action scenes do not look good at all. Military vs Godzilla mostly consists of Godzilla standing still while they shoot him over and over again, Godzilla vs Anguirus looks janky as hell and the hits have no impact until Godzilla starts biting Anguirus’s throat, and the final battle in the ice basin goes on entirely too long and gets so repetitive.
Literally this.
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Godzilla Raids Again (a.k.a. Godzilla's Counterattack) is my favorite movie in the entire Showa Era excluding the original 1954 film. The cast, while not as memorable as that of the film's predecessor, is enjoyably charming to watch, as they all feel like close friends who have known each other for a very long time prior to the events of this film in a manner that somewhat reminds me of how the Colonial Marines from Aliens were portrayed. Not 100% identical by any means, but similar. I also love the atmosphere of the film, especially during the first act; from the moment Godzilla emerges in Osaka all the way to his defeating of Anguirus, the movie has a bone-chilling, suspensefully still and moody feel (and genuinely creepy music to accompany it, which helps it greatly), as if the entire world is literally holding its breath in fear to wait for an outcome as one event after the other transpires.

Godzilla's battle with Anguirus is one of my favorites in the franchise. It's a long, vicious bout of a combination of physical wrestling and animalistic savagery with touches of realistic, reptile-like moments and behavior (such as when Anguirus stands off with Godzilla and defensively gapes his mouth for a long period of time, like a lizard or crocodilian).

Also, the GyakushuGoji design is an absolute banger in my book; a lean, vicious, predatory-looking, somewhat dragon-like, slightly modified version of the original 1954 design that fits well with Godzilla's portrayal in the movie. One of my favorite designs, just under the RadoGoji, KiryuGoji, ShinGoji and ShodaiGoji.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:56 pm Godzilla Raids Again (a.k.a. Godzilla's Counterattack) is my favorite movie in the entire Showa Era excluding the original 1954 film. The cast, while not as memorable as that of the film's predecessor, is enjoyably charming to watch, as they all feel like close friends who have known each other for a very long time prior to the events of this film in a manner that somewhat reminds me of how the Colonial Marines from Aliens were portrayed. Not 100% identical by any means, but similar. I also love the atmosphere of the film, especially during the first act; from the moment Godzilla emerges in Osaka all the way to his defeating of Anguirus, the movie has a bone-chilling, suspensefully still and moody feel (and genuinely creepy music to accompany it, which helps it greatly), as if the entire world is literally holding its breath in fear to wait for an outcome as one event after the other transpires.

Godzilla's battle with Anguirus is one of my favorites in the franchise. It's a long, vicious bout of a combination of physical wrestling and animalistic savagery with touches of realistic, reptile-like moments and behavior (such as when Anguirus stands off with Godzilla and defensively gapes his mouth for a long period of time, like a lizard or crocodilian).

Also, the GyakushuGoji design is an absolute banger in my book; a lean, vicious, predatory-looking, somewhat dragon-like, slightly modified version of the original 1954 design that fits well with Godzilla's portrayal in the movie. One of my favorite designs, just under the RadoGoji, KiryuGoji, ShinGoji and ShodaiGoji.
I agree with pretty much every individual point you raise here, and I love seeing the film get this kind of appreciation, because I think it's too often harshly dismissed by some fans, and largely just goes ignored... but, truth be tld, it's still one of my least favorite entries from the Showa series. Despite my finding most individual scenes very well executed, and loving the general atmosphere of the movie, the pacing just doesn't work for me, and I invariably get bored for portions of it.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

thecan
Young Farmer

Post by thecan »

Personally i love raids again, to me it kinda feels like the ultimate 50s b movie

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Although this was never a childhood favorite (and it was the G-movie I had least opportunity to watch for much of my childhood), this is somehow one of the most overwhelmingly nostalgic Godzilla movies for me. Maybe it means I'm a lunatic, or maybe it's a sign of an early-onset mid-life crisis, but Gigantis feels so comforting after a distressing day. :shrug:
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:53 pm t Gigantis feels so comforting after a distressing day. :shrug:
It's not just a movie, it's therapy.

GRA isn't the best of the Showa period, but it is a good one. The mood and atmosphere, characters, and that brutal fight make for a fine start. It does lag after the fight, but the climax manages to gain some of the suspense of the start.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:53 pm Although this was never a childhood favorite (and it was the G-movie I had least opportunity to watch for much of my childhood), this is somehow one of the most overwhelmingly nostalgic Godzilla movies for me.
I oddly agree. This too was one of the last entries I saw as a kid (it would have been by the time of the Classic Media DVD, so when I was in Fifth Grade or so), and one I didn't revisit too often, but I'll always recall my first experience watching it - home from school thanks to some nasty bronchitis. It would have been the Japanese version I watched, since I was in an elitist "subtitles only" phase.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:24 pm
Terasawa wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:53 pm Although this was never a childhood favorite (and it was the G-movie I had least opportunity to watch for much of my childhood), this is somehow one of the most overwhelmingly nostalgic Godzilla movies for me.
I oddly agree. This too was one of the last entries I saw as a kid (it would have been by the time of the Classic Media DVD, so when I was in Fifth Grade or so), and one I didn't revisit too often, but I'll always recall my first experience watching it - home from school thanks to some nasty bronchitis. It would have been the Japanese version I watched, since I was in an elitist "subtitles only" phase.
I was so young when I saw most of these movies for the first time that I can't really remember watching them. This (as Gigantis) is one of the exceptions, although the only specific thing I remember was wondering why there were so many Angilas roars on the soundtrack after he apparently died in Osaka. My friend and I were convinced another Angilas was going to turn up at the end and there'd be another fight scene. I remember just a little more about Rodan, which we also saw for the first time that day.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Another thing about this film is that a good portion of it takes place in winter, something that few Godzilla movies have.

The franchise needs more Godzilla in snow.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Terasawa wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:15 pm
MaxRebo320 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:24 pm
I was so young when I saw most of these movies for the first time that I can't really remember watching them. This (as Gigantis) is one of the exceptions, although the only specific thing I remember was wondering why there were so many Angilas roars on the soundtrack after he apparently died in Osaka. My friend and I were convinced another Angilas was going to turn up at the end and there'd be another fight scene. I remember just a little more about Rodan, which we also saw for the first time that day.
I also understand the sentiment. It was my fourth Godzilla movie, which I watched at about the same time as I did G vs. Megalon--I got both of those on VHS for my 9th b-day. It was not my favorite at the time, but as time passes, it becomes more important to me.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

It's amazing how such an overall meh movie in the grand scheme of things ended up being so important for establishing the formula for most Godzilla films going forward. Did overall enjoy the Kaiju scraps and the climax in the ice, but beyond that can't say it left much of an impression. Coming right after that iconic first film probably doesn't help as it does feel stuck in its shadow compared to even other Godzilla films down the road.