Talkback: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
godjacob
Futurian

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)

Post by godjacob »

When I first watched the movie I legit thought that I may have been on an acid trip.

Probably the most unique of the Showa films. Hedorah is an incredibly memorable Kaiju even if it is a less than subtle allegory, and the fight between it and Godzilla is stand out making it a treat.

But no lie, I have zero memory of the human plot. Like none, which is odd.
Last edited by godjacob on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

HAPPY 50th ANNIVERSARY!
Yes it`s true! Godzilla vs Hedorah is 50 years old! Time to watch Yoshimitsu Bannos only Godzilla-movie again. As the subject of the movie is prevailing as never before you can call it an "evergreen" :mrgreen:
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I just had an idea for a poster. Picture a man or woman on a bike with a recycle bin next to him/her. Below are the words " Only you can prevent Hedorah."
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

This movie is pretty rad
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

Benn_Sonic_exe
Monsterland Worker

Post by Benn_Sonic_exe »

Welp I just saw this and it was very interesting, though surprisingly I didn't find it quite as trippy as I thought it'd be. Besides the weird eye things (even though afterwards it still has eyes??) that Godzilla pulls out of Hedorah and fries, I was able to understand what was happening through most of the movie.

My first random thought is that Hedorah's eye beams seem quite a bit more powerful than I always assumed them to be. At least two of the times that they were used they were able to take Godzilla out of the fight for at least a few minutes (and the first time it didn't even HIT Godzilla but just the ground in front of him, though I assume that's just a goof LUL). I haven't seen any other Showa films in years though, and only then have only seen a few, so maybe Showa Godzilla just gets knocked out a lot.
AKA Jamie.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Benn_Sonic_exe wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:02 pm I didn't find it quite as trippy as I thought it'd be.
Its reputation for trippiness is overstated because a lot of Godzilla fans are really, really square.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat May 15, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

eabaker wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:46 am
Benn_Sonic_exe wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:02 pm I didn't find it quite as trippy as I thought it'd be.
It's reputation for trippiness is overstated because a lot of Godzilla fans are really, really square.
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

^ I'm more octagon that square.

Maybe trippy is the wrong word, but it does have some unusual images.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:10 pm ^ I'm more octagon that square.

Maybe trippy is the wrong word, but it does have some unusual images.
Oh, I'm not denying that the movie has its trippy elements! It's definitely, actively engaged with the psychedelic culture of the time - that's one of the things I love about it! It's just that some fans talk about it like it's something by Luis Buñuel or Ken Russell or something. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I have to agree it was not as trippy, looking back. Psychedelically-charged but it did not jump into deep dives of it. For a Godzilla movie, it was unusual. The animated Hedorah segment sticks out to me since it was so random, yet somehow made some sense in the plot.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Watched Hedorah for the first time today and I loved it. Everything was great, but what really stole the show for me was the title pollution monster himself. Now I have even more of a hankering for an SHMA figure of Hedorah

Sure, this film in particular is pretty...odd. But as eabaker always says, you can’t parse duende
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:28 pm Sure, this film in particular is pretty...odd. But as eabaker always says, you can’t parse duende
Well, this is only going to encourage me... ;)

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:28 pm, but what really stole the show for me was the title pollution monster himself.
You can’t say that! People will get mad!
For Emperor and Empire!

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:58 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 1:28 pm, but what really stole the show for me was the title pollution monster himself.
Then they just got Hedorah’d :Hedorah:
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Resized Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

CyberZilla wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:04 pm
Voyager wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:58 pm
Then they just got Hedorah’d :Hedorah:
Putting the ’He’ in Hedorah :lol:

For real though, it ain’t ‘Herdorah’.
Last edited by Voyager on Sun May 30, 2021 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

One of the reasons I like coming here. Where else would you have a discussion about what gender a walking pile of sludge is?

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Isnt Hedorah Godzilla’s strongest opponent in the entire franchise? Think about it

In the final battle Hedorah was barely interested in fighting Goji. Goji needed the help of the humans to just barely beat Hedorah, even when the pollution monster didn’t care that much. Goji gets hurt every time he tries to damage Hedorah physically, and the atomic breath has zero effect.

I’d wager Hedorah is stronger than Ghidorah and MG (aside from their anime counterparts, ofc).
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Some would agree, while others would say that Hedorah is just incredibly hard to destroy. Either way, Hedorah is a memorable and mighty opponent for Godzilla.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:38 am Isnt Hedorah Godzilla’s strongest opponent in the entire franchise? Think about it

In the final battle Hedorah was barely interested in fighting Goji. Goji needed the help of the humans to just barely beat Hedorah, even when the pollution monster didn’t care that much. Goji gets hurt every time he tries to damage Hedorah physically, and the atomic breath has zero effect.

I’d wager Hedorah is stronger than Ghidorah and MG (aside from their anime counterparts, ofc).
Oh god, not this again.

My take: “Hard to Kill” doesn’t equal strong. Hedorah may be able to take a LOT of shit, but it doesn’t mean he can dish a lot of shit out.

Edit: MG (Showa and Heisei atleast) could beat Hedorah. Their enemy weapons are strong enough and they could just blow Hedorah to bits.
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Reminds me of tank class characters in RPGs. They’re durable but (depending on the game) they don’t do much damage by themselves.

Resized Image