Mothra (1961)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Mothra (1961)

Post by BlankAccount »

Yeah I hear fans complain more about the fact Godzilla lost to Mothra babies and King Kong than Mothra dying. It is interesting she has more consistent wins against him than most monsters but also dies the a lot so it kind of balances out.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

If it fits the narrative, who cares who wins and who loses?
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Even as a little dinosaur obsessed kid I cheered for Mothra over Godzilla. Maybe I was just weird I dunno.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Even as a little dinosaur obsessed kid I cheered for Mothra over Godzilla.
Who wouldn't? Godzilla was the villain.
Long Live The Sting

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I totally cheered for Godzilla over Mothra.

Goji was my first kaiju love. What can I say?
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Stump Feet wrote:If it fits the narrative, who cares who wins and who loses?
If only more people understood this.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Don't you know anything about these movies? The only thing that matters are power levels.
Long Live The Sting

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Stump Feet wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Don't you know anything about these movies? The only thing that matters are power levels.
And monster designs. My bad, that's on me.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Different people enjoy different aspects of films.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Zarm wrote:Different people enjoy different aspects of films.
Powerlevels were unintended aspects that piss on the narrative.
Long Live The Sting

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I mean, from another perspective, using the narrative as an excuse to ignore established characteristics is lazy writing that breaks suspension of disbelief or the ability to enjoy a movie. :)

It really all depends on how you approach it; on what makes the world 'real' and the consumption of the media enjoyable for each viewer. For sure, there are a lot of people for whom 'power levels' is a nonsense concept that ignore the narrative. That's not wrong. But there are plenty of others for whom consistency in what the fictional world's established is as significant to enjoyment as good writing; who can't appreciate the narrative if they're too busy being distracted by the established 'rules' being broken for the story's sake. That's not wrong either.

It's just two different ways to enjoy a kaiju film (or for that matter, most of sci-fi). No one's saying that the preference of the latter group should be enforced on the former- just that it is a factor in how much the latter will enjoy a piece of media. For better or ill, that's their problem.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Power level can also be meaningless depending on how a monster uses its skills and intelligence. Mothra's wins are achieved by making full use of her/its abilities and, often, strategy. The adult in M vs G was able to overwhelm Godzilla by hitting him with everything she had, and the larvae won by using the rocky landscape for effective cover. Take a look at Megalon and JJ as well. JJ is a purely physical fighter, and Megalon has an arsenal of special weapons. Still, JJ was able to beat Megalon until Megalon got help.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

If power levels are enough to take people out of a film I feel like they should just stick to fantasy matches and the clips of the battles on youtube

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Stump Feet wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Even as a little dinosaur obsessed kid I cheered for Mothra over Godzilla.
Who wouldn't? Godzilla was the villain.
Uh......I was pissed Godzilla lost.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Saw the movie in Japanese sub.

Was good. Decent pace though it was kinda slow at times but otherwise good and the greedy guy should had died by the hands of Mothra. That would had been more satisfying if you ask me.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Saw the movie in Japanese sub.

Was good. Decent pace though it was kinda slow at times but otherwise good and the greedy guy should had died by the hands of Mothra. That would had been more satisfying if you ask me.
That was the original ending, which they at least partially filmed. He took the Shobijin up onto Mount Fuji- Mothra showed up, rescued them, and used her gusts to blow him off a cliff.

But then the American Distributors wanted something more slam-bang for the finale, so they went in and shot the New Kirk City ending instead.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Saw the movie in Japanese sub.

I disagree. Mothra's purpose was to rescue the Shobijin, not to avenge them; Nelson was an obstacle to Mothra, not an enemy.

Nelson's selfishness, greed and lack of empathy are the problems of humanity, and are best fought by humanity. I think it makes more dramatic sense that his undoing is the anger of the society that birthed him.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It makes for excellent contrast as well. When he first displays the Shobjin, humanity is on his side and enriching his checkbook. He has the support of the authorities until the threat of Mothra changes their minds. When he's spotted by the crowd, his reaction is like a cornered animal. The fear of his fellow man and police lead to actions that lead to his death.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I just watched this for the first time! (I bought the steelbook) I really liked it, although I am not sure if I prefer it to Mothra VS Godzilla. What say all of you?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mothra is the better film but Mothra vs. Godzilla is arguably right behind it. The former is definitely a top five film in the genre and the latter is certainly in the top ten, if not also the top five.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.