what is the Best of the 70s G-Films?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

What is the Best of the 70s Godzilla films

GODZILLA VS HEDORAH: THE SMOG MONSTER (1971)
13%
GODZILLA VS GIGAN / GODZILLA ON MONSTER ISLAND (1972)
3%
GODZILLA VS MEGALON (1973)
No votes
GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA (1974)
33%
TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA (1975)
51%

Total votes: 94

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: what is the Best of the 70s G-Films?

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Terror of MechaGodzilla. I like the decidedly darker tone of films took plus MGII and Titanosaurus laying waste to Tokyo is one of the best scenes of destruction in the entire Showa era. Especially love that scene of MechaG standing in the background as his missiles blow the shit out of the street and buildings in the foreground.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Cimmerian Dragon wrote:It's close between Hedorah and Terror, but I have to give it to ToM in the end. I think Banno's film is more artistically interesting, but Katsura's story, the incredible presence of MechaGodzilla, and Honda's general elegiac tone win out.
This illustrates how I feel pretty accurately. Very well put, sir.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Terror of MechaGodzilla. I like the decidedly darker tone of films took plus MGII and Titanosaurus laying waste to Tokyo is one of the best scenes of destruction in the entire Showa era. Especially love that scene of MechaG standing in the background as his missiles blow the shit out of the street and buildings in the foreground.

Shit, I'd go as far to say it's one of the best destruction scenes in the entire Godzilla series. :)
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

^Absolutely. The MGII/Titanosaurus rampage features two outstanding kaiju suits, beautiful cinematography, crazy pyrotechnics, and fantastic scoring.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

For me, it came down to a choice between Hedora and Terror. I voted, though, for Hedora.

It's the most amibitous G-film of the 70s; perhaps after the first Godzilla in '54, it's the closest any other G-film came to being something of an art film. For its daring tone and message, I will give it my vote.

Also, it has some of the best special effects in the series, I feel.
"Music should never show disdain for its audience."
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tapkaara wrote:Also, it has some of the best special effects in the series, I feel.
Y'know, it doesn't get much credit in that regard, but it does have some really impressive shots.

It helps that so much of it takes place at night, of course, but even the few daylight scenes look pretty good.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tapkaara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Tapkaara »

eabaker wrote:
Tapkaara wrote:Also, it has some of the best special effects in the series, I feel.
Y'know, it doesn't get much credit in that regard, but it does have some really impressive shots.

It helps that so much of it takes place at night, of course, but even the few daylight scenes look pretty good.
I agree. One of my favorite effects shots is a daylight one where Hedora is sucking in all of the cars. Very memorable.
"Music should never show disdain for its audience."
- Akira Ifukube
My website, the OFFICIAL English language website about Akira Ifukube: http://www.akiraifukube.org

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tapkaara wrote:
eabaker wrote:

I agree. One of my favorite effects shots is a daylight one where Hedora is sucking in all of the cars. Very memorable.
It's not very often that we get really good shots of the monsters where they're holding a largely static position like that.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

eabaker wrote:^Absolutely. The MGII/Titanosaurus rampage features two outstanding kaiju suits, beautiful cinematography, crazy pyrotechnics, and fantastic scoring.
Damn... now I want to watch TOMG, but I have class in 30 minutes. HNNNNNNNNG.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Critically, I'll have to go with GODZILLA VS. HEDORAH. It abruptly swerved the series in a new direction it has never revisited since, which took a lot of balls on Banno's part, and the themes are still just as relevant today. It's a fascinating movie to deconstruct.

Personally, it's a three-way tie between Fukuda's films because of the sheer entertainment value.

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

Hedorah is just too wierd for me. It has so many strange scenes like the guy tripping at the club or the building silently crumbling and dont even get me started on the odd cartoon scenes, Godzilla flies and gets slimed on while the antagonist is literally made of crap I dont undersatand its appeal at all. I haven't actually seen TOMG yet but MG74 is just plain awesome the music, story and the battle scenes are just greatness.
84-95

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

heiseisaegusa wrote:Hedorah is just too wierd for me. It has so many strange scenes like the guy tripping at the club or the building silently crumbling and dont even get me started on the odd cartoon scenes, Godzilla flies and gets slimed on while the antagonist is literally made of crap I dont undersatand its appeal at all.
You basically just listed at least half of the things that the movie's fans find appealing about it.

It's so boldly unusual, and in ways that almost always feel thematically germane.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legion1979 wrote:Godzilla vs Hedorah is one of those movies I think most people GROW to like.
I will admit that I wasn't entirely sure what to make of it when I first saw it, but it always had a strange appeal to me, whether or not I understood why.

I wonder how much difference it makes to new fans' reactions that these days they get to see pretty much all of the Showa films in their proper aspect ratios. Discovering these movies in the 80s and early 90s, so much of the visual appeal of these flicks was damaged by the fucking pan and scanning. Getting widescreen bootlegs (or, on rare occasion, getting to see one on the big screen, as I did with DAM, Hedorah, and Terror of MG around 1995) was like seeing a whole new movie, and reason for an almost complete ground-up reevaluation.

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

You basically just listed at least half of the things that the movie's fans find appealing about it.

It's so boldly unusual, and in ways that almost always feel thematically germane.[/quote]

Each to their own I suppose.
84-95

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Tapkaara wrote:For me, it came down to a choice between Hedora and Terror. I voted, though, for Hedora.

It's the most amibitous G-film of the 70s; perhaps after the first Godzilla in '54, it's the closest any other G-film came to being something of an art film. For its daring tone and message, I will give it my vote.

Makes me wish Criterion had the will power to release it... makes me wonder if it might be seen as a slightly more critical darling if it happened and some started to re-evaluate it, in the way House (1977) has grown into a widely loved film, or if it would still get schlocked by some regardless.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Arbok wrote:
Tapkaara wrote:For me, it came down to a choice between Hedora and Terror. I voted, though, for Hedora.

Makes me wish Criterion had the will power to release it... makes me wonder if it might be seen as a slightly more critical darling if it happened and some started to re-evaluate it, in the way House (1977) has grown into a widely loved film, or if it would still get schlocked by some regardless.
I suspect that a nice Criterion edition, some scholarly essays, and some screenings at art house theaters would help its reputation somewhat. The House comparison is a good one! However, ultimately, because Hedorah is still a significantly more traditional and commerical picture than House, I don't think it would receive nearly the same measure of critical approval.

Hedorah walks a fine line, being basically a commerical product but with strong avant garde influences. It's a wonderful balance for some viewers, but a lot of others would prefer it to be one thing or the other.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

I said GvMG '74. My favorite human cast of all those films, the pacing and editing were to my liking, I loved King Seesar's mythology, the interpol bit, and he most memorable climactic fight scenes.

Megalon7
Monsterland Worker

Post by Megalon7 »

I can't pick one. i liked all of the 70's Godzilla films

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Megalon7 wrote:I can't pick one. i liked all of the 70's Godzilla films
Best first post ever. *bro fist*

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Goji wrote:
Ditto. Awesome Avatar too.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Goji wrote:
Ditto. Awesome Avatar too.
I join in the praise string.