what is the Best of the 70s G-Films?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

What is the Best of the 70s Godzilla films

GODZILLA VS HEDORAH: THE SMOG MONSTER (1971)
13%
GODZILLA VS GIGAN / GODZILLA ON MONSTER ISLAND (1972)
3%
GODZILLA VS MEGALON (1973)
No votes
GODZILLA VS MECHAGODZILLA (1974)
33%
TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA (1975)
51%

Total votes: 94

movieartman
Monarch Researcher

what is the Best of the 70s G-Films?

Post by movieartman »

Hi Guys, QUESTION = what do you feel is the Best of the 70s Godzilla Films

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: what is the Best of the 70s G-Films?

Post by eabaker »

It was tough for me to choose between Hedorah and Terror of Mechagodzilla, but ultimately I find the former a little more entertaining.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The best is G vs MG, followed closely by G vs Gigan. I know the second film often gets knocked, but I like it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Close call between GvMG or Terror for me but im going for Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla.

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

Godzilla vs Hedorah
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Gigan
Godzilla vs Megalon
Terror of Mechagodzilla
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Terror of Mechagodzilla fo'sho. Then:

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs. Megalon
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

My favorite from the era is Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, which has excellent pacing and some great fights.

The best, however, is probably Terror of Mechagodzilla as it went for a much more complex plot for the human angle.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, for pretty much the reasons Arbok said. I get why a lot of people like Terror of Mechagodzilla, but I never really cared for it much.

Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla6014 »

Arbok wrote:My favorite from the era is Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, which has excellent pacing and some great fights.

The best, however, is probably Terror of Mechagodzilla as it went for a much more complex plot for the human angle.
I think I would probably have to agree with you 100% Arbok. I think if I had to choose it would be Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla however, Terror of Mechagodzilla was done a little better though special effects wise though. However, I must say that I don't care what everyone one else thinks or says but, I actually like Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Megalon quite a bit. I mean there's a whole lot of stock footage in those two however, I know Toho couldn't help it at the time due to some oil crisis that happend in Japan. But so what they're awesome and that's all that matters and hell Godzilla vs. Hedorah was also just as awesome. I just like all of them. :D
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Terror of Mechagodzilla is the best, although it is too somber for casual enjoyment. I would actually rather watch Godzilla vs. Gigan or Godzilla vs. Megalon. Godzilla vs. Gigan has great humor (both intentional and unintentional) and a great soundtrack, even if it's all stock music. It also has a good monster selection and one third of the film is all monster action. Godzilla vs. Megalon is fun to watch because it's so ridiculous and campy. I feel like a little kid whenever I see it!

Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla6014 »

20th Century Boy wrote:Terror of Mechagodzilla is the best, although it is too somber for casual enjoyment. I would actually rather watch Godzilla vs. Gigan or Godzilla vs. Megalon. Godzilla vs. Gigan has great humor (both intentional and unintentional) and a great soundtrack, even if it's all stock music. It also has a good monster selection and one third of the film is all monster action. Godzilla vs. Megalon is fun to watch because it's so ridiculous and campy. I feel like a little kid whenever I see it!
Huh that's funny I'm like that too, I've probably watched Godzilla vs. Gigan and Godzilla vs. Megalon more times than I've watched Terror of Mechagodzilla. Something I thought that I should point out though is it seems like Godzilla vs. Gigan was filmed very slowly while Godzilla vs. Megalon was filmed pretty quick.
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Terror of Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla
Godzilla vs Gigan
Godzilla vs Hedorah
Godzilla vs Megalon

Mostly a best to worst of which films you'd want to show to a non-fan.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

I voted for MG, but for all intents and purposes it's a three-way tie between Hedorah and the Mechagodzilla saga. Hedorah is just incredibly unique yet wonky and oddly decently done. The Mechagodzilla saga is just a total blast to watch.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Ghidorahs3rdHead
Samurai

Post by Ghidorahs3rdHead »

They all have a sentimental value, but I have to go with G vs MG (74). The plot was good, the score was incredible and the battle scenes are nicely executed. Godzilla, for the most part gets owned but it's hard to argue against any of the Showa Mechagodzilla saga. Megalon is a fun film, Hedorah is strange but the score is jazzy and has weird psychedelic undertones and a very formidable enemy. Gigan is a very campy film, but there is plenty of good action and of course, Ghidorah.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

All five of them are some of my personal favorites, but if I *had* to pick one, I'd have an extremely hard time doing so. It would probably be either HEDORAH or MECHAGODZILLA. I adore GIGAN and MEGALON, and don't fault them for being "cheaply made", because you know what, they're great fun, and ultimately, that's what matters. I'll take them over anything made after 1989. Easily.

TERROR OF MECHAGODZILLA is probably "the best", but all of them are incredibly entertaining.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

It's a tie between GVsMG and TOMG for me.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla, but I'd put TOMG right behind it.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla6014 »

Amen to the five godzilla films listed above. :)

Alexzilla408
Samurai

Post by Alexzilla408 »

Terror of Mechagodzilla without a doubt. Honestly, it's probably my favorite Godzilla film period.
Bagan sucks and he will never be in a Godzilla movie. Shutup.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

It was a close tie between ''Terror or Mecha-Godzilla'' an ''Godzilla vs Mecha-Godzilla'' but i happen to have chose Terror or Mech-Godzilla.

The rest of the movies weren't really that great at all in opinion.