Godzilla 1954 in Color (aka Cozzilla 1977)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Godzilla 1954 in Color (aka Cozzilla 1977)

Post by Spuro »

shadowgigan wrote:Don't know if it is even possible, but I would love to see a proper colorized version of Gojira.
It's definitely possible, they colorized a lot of Ray Harryhausen's older films.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
shadowgigan wrote:Don't know if it is even possible, but I would love to see a proper colorized version of Gojira.
It's definitely possible, they colorized a lot of Ray Harryhausen's older films.
I'd honestly not tamper with the purity of the original film. The black and white really helped sell the grim and somber atmosphere of the movie.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Breakdown wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
I'd honestly not tamper with the purity of the original film. The black and white really helped sell the grim and somber atmosphere of the movie.
I don't see how it's tampering, so long as the original still exists and is available. If it was a Star Wars situation, yeah fuck that. But Toho has already done and had similar issues with other movies, like KKVG.

I don't see colored versions as an issue in the same way dubs don't detract from anything. Actually, I feel like Godzilla Raids Again could really be improved by a properly colored version.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The aforementioned colorized Harryhausens and Ultra Q look super artificial so I'd rather not see more movies like that.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

New color version of Gojira got announced.

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/sta ... 14816?s=19
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Wouldn't it be cool if they instead restored the original colors to the films they've given horrible, blown-out, unsaturated transfers to?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:52 pm Wouldn't it be cool if they instead restored the original colors to the films they've given horrible, blown-out, unsaturated transfers to?
I agree with your sentiment, but come on, this is exciting!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Who exactly was clamoring for this?

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Tamura wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:16 am Who exactly was clamoring for this?
Ted Turner?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Haven't seen it as of this posting but I am gonna hunt for it. Seems to have a quirky charm for it. Italy is a great country with great people whose history of creativity gives us unique films for sure, including this unique colourizing that it seems only they could pull off.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Rewatched Cozzilla today on a flight. As silly as it sounds, despite it being basically psychedelic nonsense, it really is one of my all time favorite Godzilla flicks.

It's definitely not how the story was meant to be received, and from a critical perspective, it's hard to sing it's praise over the original (though, I won't lie, this is a hell of a lot more fun than the 1956 US version) but as an almost accidentally surrealistic take on the original movie? I couldn't ask for more. The tripped out colors, the unusually uninvolved storyline, the completely wrecked film reel; it all comes together to make this weird little art house kaiju flick that actually manages to feel pretty impactful; depending on how much you can let yourself read into loopy gels and stock footage.

Does anyone know if any other films were made using Cozzilla's weird method of colorizing? I'd love to see more. It's almost hypnotic how they use such simple colors to show mood.
Last edited by Mechagigan on Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.