Powers Talkback: Concentrated Wind Breath

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Powers Talkback: Concentrated Wind Breath

Post by edgaguirus »

Maybe it could blow dust in another monster's face, similar to what Rodan did in DAM to Ghidorah.

Against smaller targets( aka humans and vehicles) it would be a useful tool for destruction. While Rodan's wing gust are good for large areas, wind breath would be good for taking out buildings and the humans dumb enough to still be inside them.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

I never liked how any "wind" attacks were treated. Against humans, fine? But two monsters are relatively the same size, like Mothra and Rodan are to Godzilla, they shouldn't be able to send him rolling backwards by flapping their wings slowly. It's absurd and unintentionally comical. It's a big reason why I never was a big fan of Godzilla's fights with Mothra.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Well, kaiju do tend to be freakishly strong, even for their size. So generating disproportionally powerful gusts of wind doesn't seem out of the question. Anyway, flying kaiju can somehow move at supersonic speeds without flapping their wings at all, so reality doesn't seem to have much influence on them.

As for the CWB, I never liked it much. It's sort of a strange scene, and a power that's never used again. I prefer to ignore it, though I suppose it's theoretically useful.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Reaper Man
Monsterland Worker

Post by Reaper Man »

Wind breath wouldn't have done squat to Godzilla or Ghidorah.
Seasons don't fear the reaper, nor do the wind, the sun, or the rain.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

ahh i remember that from Rodan, it was confusing to me for a while, sin ce he(she?) only did it once lol

if nothing else it proves that Rodan is a blowhard

:mrgreen:
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Legion1979 wrote:
GodzillaSpawn wrote:I never liked how any "wind" attacks were treated. Against humans, fine? But two monsters are relatively the same size, like Mothra and Rodan are to Godzilla, they shouldn't be able to send him rolling backwards by flapping their wings slowly. It's absurd and unintentionally comical. It's a big reason why I never was a big fan of Godzilla's fights with Mothra.
Which battles are you even talking about? I've never found anything funny about the wind attack against Godzilla in "Mothra vs Godzilla". It's actually a very well done scene, and Mothra moves fast enough that I'm totally convinced by what's happening on screen. Even in "Tokyo SOS", it seems pretty plausible to me.

You mean aside from his fights with Mothra, because I kind of implied that? In '64, '65, (I don't recall if Mothra blew Godzilla backwards in '92 by flapping her wings), SOS. Her wings never move fast enough to realistically make Godzilla fall back. It always temporarily took me out of the immersion of the film. GMK had her wings moving alot faster and more realistically, though most of her flying scenes were CGI. Convincing to you perhaps, not to me. :huge: Didn't Rodan do it to Godzilla in Ghidrah as well? And Titanosaurus' windy tail attack (which is also silly). A raven wouldn't be able to send a squirrel flying by flapping its wing in its direction, in fact, it would be detrimental to its survival as a predator. It's like watching a Pokemon cartoon sometimes. But that's the nature of Science Fiction at times, and it's more of a humorous kind of ridiculous to me, not the kind that makes me unable to watch these films. I mean it's not far more unrealistic than giant mutated radioactive monsters to begin with.
Last edited by GodzillaSpawn on Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Giga Kaiju
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Giga Kaiju »

So Rodan Blows...duhr! :lol:

Anyway in my first view of Rodan (10 years ago) i didnt notice this attack until time later.
It is an interesting attack from Rodan but i could understand why it wasn't used more later in the series.
Cool feat for his solo movie though.
UNSTOPPABLE FURY. UNTHINKABLE POWER. UNBREAKABLE WILL.
tymon wrote:Man, it really makes me laugh when I remember that all this drama is centered around a fictional, giant atomic monster. Damn you, Godzilla!
Gawdziller wrote:Doesn't matter what's moot or not. We'll just move onto the next thing to bitch about, then tangent onto something unrelated and bitch about that, and get trollbaited back on topic so we can bitch some more. It's the circle of life.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

Not all powers need to be for combat against other monsters. The wind breath (or heated radioactive gas according to anatomy charts) is useful for flushing out prey from tunnels and other places. It can take out prey without burying in as much rubble.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

9 year necropst? Well I’ll be damned.

I think the power is fine… I guess.
For Emperor and Empire!