Were any of the Jidaigeki films & TV shows made by Toho were dubbed into English?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Kurosawa & Kaiju
Young Farmer

Were any of the Jidaigeki films & TV shows made by Toho were dubbed into English?

Post by Kurosawa & Kaiju »

I'm interested to know what country were they were dubbed in,what home media releases did the dub appear on (if any),did they rename the film,did they cut any footage, & did they add any footage. I'm wanting to know as i collect Jidaigeki & Kaiju movies while also collecting live action films & TV shows that get dubbed into English as it makes me laugh whenever I see improper lip flaps in movies & TV. Yes I do also watch subbed versions of films & TV shows that are in the genre of Jidaigeki & Kaiju. Thanks in advance for the helping me find Dubbed Jidaigeki.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Were any of the Jidaigeki films & TV shows made by Toho were dubbed into English?

Post by LegendZilla »

Probably because the films themselves are simply respected too much.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Were any of the Jidaigeki films & TV shows made by Toho were dubbed into English?

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Toho-commissioned dubs for a fair number of Jidaigeki back in the 1960s, with plenty being listed in their sales catalogs. Member Terasawa (Who doesn't seem to have been around lately; I hope he's doing alright) has compiled a WIP list of Toho titles with export dubs. As you can see, plenty of Jidaigeki are amongst those. That said, very few seem to have ever surfaced.

https://h-man.neocities.org/export_list.html

Musashi Miyamoto, the first film in the Inagaki/Mifune Samurai trilogy recieved a US release with narration by William Holden, though its apparently lost to time.

An English-dub for Yojimbo actually exists and was even released on an unlicensed DVD. I'm not sure who did the dubbing, though. Not a Toho film, but the original Criterion DVD also contains a dub for Rashomon, something that sadly wasn't ported over to the Blu-Ray upgrade.
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:11 pm Probably because the films themselves are simply respected too much.
Demonstrably false. But even if that were the case nowadays, how would Toho have known that back during their original releases (or at least when the films were semi-new)?
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:34 pm[snip]
Thanks for the plug! One I don't cover in that list (because it doesn't appear to be a Toho-commissioned dub):

Kurosawa's Ran was also dubbed in English. It's on the StudioCanal Blu-ray, but I haven't heard it myself.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

It's amazing how many English dubs are seemingly lost to time. I wonder what a Zatoichi movie dubbed by Ted Thomas' crew sounds like!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:34 pm An English-dub for Yojimbo actually exists and was even released on an unlicensed DVD. I'm not sure who did the dubbing, though.
I wasn't sure about this one either until I happened across this Boxoffice blurb (May 6, 1963). Peter Riethof ran the "American Dubbing Company," which at one point in the late '50s had operations in New York and Paris (their version of The Mysterians for RKO was done by the New York side).

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.