Monster Discussion: Matango

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Monster Discussion: Matango

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I haven’t seen a lot of people talking about this creatures, so I made this thread to shine some light on this creature. What are your thoughts

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Re: Monster Discussion: Matango

Post by Arbok »

I'm surprised that there hasn't been a topic on them, just the film. That said, I think the Matango are kind of a mixed bag in terms of the creatures themselves. The concept is excellent, and the "half transformed" version looks amazing. The weakness is the final form, which isn't particularly threatening looking. This causes a few scenes to not land in the movie the way they should have.

That said, they do have a charm to them.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The half transformed work the best. It displays the body horror aspect of the film, while the stranded cast display the psychological horror part. It's especially creepy when the semi human creatures attack the cabin.

As to the full from, their laugh is more disturbing than they are.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

8-)

As others have stated, I think the earlier forms are are more effective as horrifying and scary creatures. However, the final form is used to such great effect, and is so unnerving that it succeeds and to me works as a fantastic payoff. The deranged laugh showcases that the Matango are not creatures that are necessarily malevolent, but human beings that have been transformed by ghastly and euphoric fungal parasites.

I think a large part of why Matango isn't discussed as a monster is that because the final form is only seen briefly at the end of the film. That being said, the concept of mushroom/fungal inspiration is really unique and inspired for what otherwise might be a generic cannibal/zombie flick. Another great example of the kind of zany and wonderful creativity that Toho had in the Showa era.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I was reading A Voice in the Night, and saw the brief description of the fungus infected man. He was described as looking like a gray sponge. Considering that, the design and color of the final form does have better visual appeal.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

It's kinda funny that in some ways The Last of Us kinda ripped off Matango. Doubt it was intentional (since there is an actual real world fungus with similar properties) but it's still interesting. I think Marvel did a miniseries with a similar concept too (some of the infected characters even taken on a Matango-esque appearance).
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

It's always been a fave for the premise even if all the effects weren't quite as effective (so to speak) as they could have been. It's on my re-watch list for sure.

When I was really little I saw the movie which scared me enough that I stopped eating mushrooms which morphed over time into thinking I didn't like mushrooms and forgetting that it was more the movie scaring me when I was little. Then as an adult I saw the movie, remembered and started eating mushrooms and so far haven't turned into a mushroom monster. (But it's online you don't know that I'm not a mushroom monster do you?)