The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: The Jurassic Park Series (1-6)

Post by Gigantis »

Vandarker wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:12 am

Alright, so spoilers:
Spoiler:
While the previous films revolved around dinosaurs, this one revolves around stopping a bio-engineered killer locust swarm which has dino DNA spliced into them. The problem is that the movie is so foucused on the locusts that the dinos have the most diminished roles out of all the six movies. A bunch of new dino species are introduced, but they are mostly wasted in the background and the ones that do play a role have zero influence on the main plot (except for the Dilophosaurus that eats Dodgson, the human baddie of the movie)

The final battle was the biggest crap I had seen in the entire series, it's way worse than the much-criticized JP3 Spino vs T-Rex battle. It shares its flaws with KOTM, which is that the camera cuts away to the human cast too often, so you can only barely tell what's going on with the dinos fighting in the background. But it's actually worse because the whole sequence is disappointingly short, there are no memorable shots and the big bad dino(Giganotosaurus) gets killed off abruptly.

Therizinosaurus basically appears out of nowhere and just helps the Rex, no explanation as to why he's only attacking the Giga and not the Rex. After the battle they actually strike a pose together like they're buddies or something, which I thought was pretty weird because they had zero interaction before that final sequence.

Speaking of the Giga, his presence in the whole film is disappointingly short, like he was added in at the last minute. He doesn't even get a single kill.

The plot isn't very convincing as well. For example, the movie ends with dinosaurs peacefully co-existing with humanity which had me going WTF? They spend two hours showing how hyper-aggressive these dinos are, and suddenly it's okay to live alongside them? Every single carnivore is depicted as a freaking killing machine that's out to kill every single person it sees, and one of the Pterosaurs actually tear down a plane. Even Blue the Raptor, who's one of the 'friendlier' carnivores, attacks everything on sight that isn't Chris Pratt. There's going to be hundreds of casualties every day.

Henry Wu gets off easy with only a broken arm, which to me also didn't make any sense. He's suddenly the good guy, despite being the same person who's responsible for hundreds of deaths in the previous films.

Spoiler:
Wow. That sounds TERRIBLE. Especially the BS they pulled with Dr. Wu. What was the point of redeeming him, there was legit nothing i the previous movies that hinted he was going anywhere close to redemption.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The trailers have been loudly advertising what kind of movie we're getting here, and it isn't going to be an intelligent one. Anyone expecting otherwise is going to be disappointed. Ye be warned.

And the last episode of CCS4 pissed me off (not really, but you know). The new assets were important. Thanks for wasting them on a nothing scene like that, jackasses.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Agreed with JAGzilla.

Jurassic Park/World aren't exactly the type of movies where you should expect story-driven or in-depth type of movies. It has messages and themes sure but that's about it.

Expecting it to just be one of those fun romps. Nothing more.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I saw the theatrical release poster for Jurassic World: Dominion a little while back when I watched Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness in my local theater with some good friends.

From the poster's tagline, it looks like this is the end of the series. Who knows? Maybe my idea of there being only two trilogies and that's it will happen after all.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:45 am Agreed with JAGzilla.

Jurassic Park/World aren't exactly the type of movies where you should expect story-driven or in-depth type of movies. It has messages and themes sure but that's about it.

Expecting it to just be one of those fun romps. Nothing more.
The problem is that the film thinks it's smart but its not. It acts like it's story driven but the film goes nowhere. The film is so focused on establishing a 'theme'(which doesn't really make sense anyway) that it forgets that it's just a big dumb dino movie. All the elements for the film to be a great movie are there, but it's like they are mechanically going through a checklist, and the film quickly loses its traction after the second act. Seems like they forgot what made the films fun to watch in the first place. Who would've expected the film to be more about bugs than dinosaurs?
Last edited by Vandarker on Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I mean in spite of what most fans would have you believe it'd not like the original Jurassic Park is gonna win any awards for storytelling. I've never watched a single Jurassic Park/World film expecting anything more than mindless inoffensive entertainment. As long as I get my share of rampaging dinosaurs and fun character interactions then I'll be happy. Though sounds like your problems with the film are more or less problems with blockbuster films in general these days.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:01 pm Though sounds like your problems with the film are more or less problems with blockbuster films in general these days.
Well, yeah. That's a given. The JW trilogy is as dumb and shoddy as the average blockbuster today. Even if '90s blockbusters weren't actually any smarter, they tended to do a better job of acting like it. They felt more polished and refined and classy. Even if it's still lipstick on a pig... y'know, if the pig looks better for it, I'll take it...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:01 pm it's not like the original Jurassic Park is gonna win any awards for storytelling
Saturn Awards for Best Science Fiction Film, Best Director, Best Writing

Awards Circuit Community Awards for Best Achievement in Directing and Best Film Editing

Japanese Academy Award for Best Foreign Film

Those are probably the biggest ones.

The first Jurassic Park may not be an incredibly deep, nuanced, challenging movie, but it is an extremely well-constructed narrative that makes its points effectively, efficiently and gracefully, with engaging characters and masterful pacing.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:01 pm As long as I get my share of rampaging dinosaurs and fun character interactions then I'll be happy.
My sentiments exactly.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Just got done watching it.

Out of all 3 of the Jurassic World movies I am sorry to say it's the worst. It is just really hard to get going, especially the first half.
Spoiler:
- Giga was bar far the biggest disappointment, out of all the Dinosaur villains including Spino it is by far the worst. Not even 1 kill.
- Dilo probably had the best scene but had zero suspense building to it so what could have been amazing scene was just okay.
- Blue is in the movie a total of 5 minutes
- Rexy is in the movie a total of 4 minutes.
- The Mosa scene is ONLY the scene from the trailers, not extended no other scenes.
- The Raptor chase sequence just felt like a less coherent version of what we got in ''JW''
- Henry Wu's ''Redemption Arc'' if you will is laughable. Dude is responsible for everything and got off with a broken arm.. Come on, at least could have given him a memorable death.

My biggest gripe ''out of the many'' with this film is that none of scene's are for better or worse remotely memorable. It all just kind of happens like it's going through the motions.

JW at least had the ''it can camouflage, that thing's part raptor, and the big fight with the T-Rex/I-Rex
Even Fallen Kingdom had the ''lava and baryonyx sequence, T-Rex crushing the Carno, The smiling Indo-Raptor (while stupid was funny to me), and the Indo-Raptor climbing the building and roaring at the moon like the Wolfman.
SPOILER only if you want the best scene in the film.
Spoiler:
When a group of Dilo's hunt down and kill Lewis Dodgson, while a decent scene it lacks real suspense or terror. It could have been an amazing sequence despite knowing it's gonna happen. But it just sort of comes and goes.
Regarding the ''Rematch'
Spoiler:
Wasn't so much a Rematch because Rexy got her ass handed to her again, only she gets up and pushes Giga on Therizinosaurus claws and it immediately dies. Very short fight, most of which takes place in the dark or while the characters are running away.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Yeap, I watched Dominion, too. It wasn't a complete mess and I had fun in some parts, but I can tell you it's the worst one in the entire JP-JW series. I agree with all the negatives you guys have already pointed out above.

I kinda enjoyed the interaction between the human cast, but you know that's not what you expect from dinosaur movies.....

At least if the final battle scene had been well made, this movie would have received much better reception. Unfortunately, it was the worst and the weirdest part of the movie.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

Just seen Dominion.
Gotta say it's entertaining but with flaws.
The Giganotosaurus is more like a normal animal (which is a plus) thus leading to the final battle feeling pretty forced and unnecessary. It also just happens out of nowhere axtually.

Also I feel like the movie had too many new dinosaurs while also having too many storylines. Which is especially a bummer as the movie never actually was about it's premise, the coexistence of humans and dinosaurs. Movie just ends where Fallen Kingdom ended

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Dyrakro wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:29 pmThe Giganotosaurus is more like a normal animal (which is a plus) thus leading to the final battle feeling pretty forced and unnecessary. It also just happens out of nowhere axtually.
What happened to all that talk regarding it being the "Joker" of the dinosaurs then? :lol: They lied!

Added in 1 hour 20 minutes 36 seconds:
https://comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/juras ... #gs.34rctn

One of these reviews even compared the film to Roland Emmerich's GODZILLA.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:19 pm
Dyrakro wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:29 pmThe Giganotosaurus is more like a normal animal (which is a plus) thus leading to the final battle feeling pretty forced and unnecessary. It also just happens out of nowhere axtually.
What happened to all that talk regarding it being the "Joker" of the dinosaurs then? :lol: They lied!

Added in 1 hour 20 minutes 36 seconds:
https://comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/juras ... #gs.34rctn

One of these reviews even compared the film to Roland Emmerich's GODZILLA.
If GINO was the villian in jurassic park it probably would be wildly more widely loved then it is now.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Regardless of the reviews. We all know this film is gonna be hitting a billion dollars for sure if the last two films are anything to go by.

Fallen Kingdom met similar reception and still made a billion. No doubt this one will as well.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:52 pm Regardless of the reviews. We all know this film is gonna be hitting a billion dollars for sure if the last two films are anything to go by.

Fallen Kingdom met similar reception and still made a billion. No doubt this one will as well.
Maybe, the pandemic is over but there are still a couple aftershocks still going on, plus Fallen Kingdom's reviews weren't this bad on top of the movie haven been leaked for over a week. It will be profitable but maybe a 800-900m total this time. We'll see.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:34 pm pandemic is over
Lol no it's not. Not even close.
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:34 pmIt will be profitable but maybe a 800-900m total this time. We'll see.
You know what the main draw is for dinosaurs?

Children. They love dinosaurs to death very much.

They're gonna want their parents to take them to see it many times.

Mark my words. This movie is gonna hit a billion. The first Venom also had negative reviews and look at all the money that made. Example of a bad movie being a box office hit.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Heard the movie is terrible, but, whatever. Dinosaurs yada yada. Hope the action is good. Going in with no expectations really.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:43 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:34 pm pandemic is over
Lol no it's not. Not even close.
miguelnuva wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:34 pmIt will be profitable but maybe a 800-900m total this time. We'll see.
You know what the main draw is for dinosaurs?

Children. They love dinosaurs to death very much.

They're gonna want their parents to take them to see it many times.

Mark my words. This movie is gonna hit a billion. The first Venom also had negative reviews and look at all the money that made. Example of a bad movie being a box office hit.
I count the amount of people who still where masks on both my hands and I love in the bay area. The amount of people respecting the pandemic is the minority and I'm talking about wearing masks and staying inside, not the actual covid spreading.

Also,, Venom didn't make 1b and I actually liked that one.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:19 pm
Pretty much haha
Gotta say they really missed to present him like a villain, cause when he died I actually felt bad for him. He was just living his life, didn't kill anything during the film and then got a gruesome death out of nowhere