The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
The One and Only
Futurian

Re: The Jurassic Park Series (1-6)

Post by The One and Only »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:13 pm
The One and Only wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:30 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:56 pm

This guy! This guy gets it! ^

The herbivores get way too undermined. They should be treated with far more caution than the already-dangerous carnivores.

Especially sauropods... ... ...
Ever see a hiefer kick in a barn door ?
I haven’t, and I haven’t even heard of a heifer until now, but I don’t doubt you. 🐄
Female cow that hasn't bore a calf yet. Can weigh up to 800, to 1000 pounds. And trust me, they can do some damage. Especially when they step on your foot. And it isn't just the step that is is the worst. It' s when they pivot on your foot.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

The One and Only wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:53 pm Female cow that hasn't bore a calf yet. Can weigh up to 800, to 1000 pounds. And trust me, they can do some damage. Especially when they step on your foot. And it isn't just the step that is is the worst. It' s when they pivot on your foot.
Herbivores are no joke. In every ecosystem it’s always the same: herbivores are always more dangerous than carnivores. Wolves and bears don’t kill as many people as moose, elk and bison. Lions and crocodiles don’t kill as many people as elephants, rhinos and of course, hippos.
Spoiler:
If Dominion wanted an animal to kill a T-Rex at the opening, Hell Creek had plenty—and the only carnivorous option was another T-Rex. It also had Ankylosaurus, Torosaurus, two species of Triceratops, and a sauropod, Alamosaurus.
Herbivores feel slept on since Jurassic World.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:05 pm
The One and Only wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:53 pm Female cow that hasn't bore a calf yet. Can weigh up to 800, to 1000 pounds. And trust me, they can do some damage. Especially when they step on your foot. And it isn't just the step that is is the worst. It' s when they pivot on your foot.
Herbivores are no joke. In every ecosystem it’s always the same: herbivores are always more dangerous than carnivores. Wolves and bears don’t kill as many people as moose, elk and bison. Lions and crocodiles don’t kill as many people as elephants, rhinos and of course, hippos.
Spoiler:
If Dominion wanted an animal to kill a T-Rex at the opening, Hell Creek had plenty—and the only carnivorous option was another T-Rex. It also had Ankylosaurus, Torosaurus, two species of Triceratops, and a sauropod, Alamosaurus.
Since The Lost World, you mean. That's the only film in the entire series where we actually see herbivores attacking humans.

I have a hard time seeing tourists drive the gyrospheres alongside TLW's stegosaurus, triceratops, and pachycephalosaurs.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Spuro wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:15 pm
Spoiler:
Since The Lost World, you mean. That's the only film in the entire series where we actually see herbivores attacking humans.

I have a hard time seeing tourists drive the gyrospheres alongside TLW's stegosaurus, triceratops, and pachycephalosaurs.
What I meant was that Jurassic World was the start of it, with the Ankylosaurus scene.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Spoiler:
FYI, not to downplay the aggressive nature of hippos but the oft cited number of "500-3000 people killed annually by hippos" has no basis other than an Encyclopedia Britannica article. The primary literature of recorded hippo fatalities is scarce,but every primary research article I've found lists Nile crocodile as the primary cause of fatalities in Africa.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Noble Saber wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:32 pm
Spoiler:
FYI, not to downplay the aggressive nature of hippos but the oft cited number of "500-3000 people killed annually by hippos" has no basis other than an Encyclopedia Britannica article. The primary literature of recorded hippo fatalities is scarce,but every primary research article I've found lists Nile crocodile as the primary cause of fatalities in Africa.
And don't forget that the Nile crocodile was split into two species a while ago - the Nile crocodile (Crocodykus niloticus) and the West African crocodile (Crocodylus suchus). Both of them are probably equally dangerous, and the second species is often mistaken for the first one.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just because a Triceratops or Stegosaurus can kill a human doesn't mean it always will. The gyrosphere scenes aren't entirely implausible; real drive-through safari parks do the same thing with large herbivores like rhinos or giraffes that are totally capable of smashing a tourist's car. There's also the fact that they have no natural fear of humans, not having evolved alongside us like modern herbivores have. That won't prevent all aggression, of course, but maybe enough for a zoo with good lawyers to function.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Giratina93 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:30 pm
Bigdog wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:01 pm The only thing I'm expecting about Dominion is that the Dairy Queen tie-in will be better than the actual movie, much like Lost Kingdom's was. Everything about that movie was an utter joke, especially when they went to Canada and let the brat let all the monsters loose...because she's a clone. Of a daughter of a fanfiction OC clearly made as a lazy John Hammond expy.

It's something how the movie frames Running-In-Heels as anything but a contemptuous monster that caused yet another preventable series of deaths on an island that didn't need to exist to begin with, and that her suddenly taking some heel-turn as some "environmentalist" for invasive species that will disrupt countless ecosystems isn't anything but ironic. But somehow, selling these abominations as toys or weapons is wrong, but exploiting them for consumerist profit with very little safety protocols in place is alright? Like how the first Jurassic World said that raising military raptors was bad somehow.

Even the villainness that freed King Ghidorah for "teh environmentz" has a fuller-fleshed reasoning for her insanity.

I wish they brought back gymnastics girl in this film and had her have a troupe of children doing all sorts of whacky gymnastics poop. Even throw in Simone Biles and Mckayla Maroney[ with her unimpressed face] as her daughters to drive home how crazy this is. Why even pretend any pretense of giving a skreeonk and being low-scale, when you can make it as fun and insane as it could be.

Or just cut out the entire Canada subplot and have some incident leak of dinosaurs on the mainland lead to them escaping and becoming an invasive species, firmly turning the protagonists into the villains. That would be extremely refreshing having the protagonists become hated land have to restore their standings than being the designated appointed people who suffer zero consequences for their actions.
Just an FYI, Lockwood Manor is in California, not in Canada.

There wasn't a transition or anything I recalled when I first seen it that indicated it was there. Learned something new today, lol.

Still doesn't help the movie's case either way.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I really don't get most of the hate for Fallen Kingdom.

Claire goes from not really appreciating the animals as living beings(I'm fully aware their alive) to doing just that. She DOES realize that was not a great thing to do, and the villain points out her hypocrisy in the film.

Beyond that...she was NOT okay with releasing the Dinosaurs into the world. She actively decided against it even though she REALLY wanted to do it and not let them die. None of them "let" the little girl do it, none of them were okay with it...the kid jumped and did it when none of them were looking.

She is a CHILD...she made an impulsive, emotional decision, after finding out that she was a clone...which would be a traumatic event even for a full grown adult. In her mind, she and the dinosaurs were brought into the world in the same way. "They're alive, like me".

The "running in heels" criticism always baffled me. This is a VERY fictional version of our world, and Claire works on an island and is likely extremely well paid. Is it SO hard to believe that she very very likely WOULD have an extremely durable pair of heels?

Also...I've always kind of thought it was a nice sentiment that she didn't have to toss aside her heels, an overt image of femininity, in order to survive the circumstances.

And people strongly over-exaggerate her running from Rexy. It was in slow-motion and was not actually a very long distance at all. Rexy is also quite old, and Claire had quite a running start on her. It isn't like she beat the Rex in a mile long cross country run or something.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Does anyone else besides me think that this series should stop at two trilogies?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Good news for Dominion at the box office!

https://thequorum.com/jurassic-wolrd-do ... can-it-go/

GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Not that I disagree on it being a box office success, but that article and these infographics..they're nonsensical swathes of data mumbo jumbo. There's no legend for what any of the numbers on the chart mean nor is there any indication on how many people were surveyed. It's just kind of a big ball of nothing.

But yeah, this movie's gonna be a hit for sure regardless. Very excited to see it and nervous to work the opening weekend!

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

UltramanGoji wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:56 pm Not that I disagree on it being a box office success, but that article and these infographics..they're nonsensical swathes of data mumbo jumbo. There's no legend for what any of the numbers on the chart mean nor is there any indication on how many people were surveyed. It's just kind of a big ball of nothing.

But yeah, this movie's gonna be a hit for sure regardless. Very excited to see it and nervous to work the opening weekend!
I actually talked to the people who run this site. It’s the same type of polling that has been used for box office tracking since the beginning. It’s just that this is the first time the data is publicly available.

Looking around on their website will tell you what everything means and the methodology. 2000 people are surveyed each time. And frequency of surveying per movie increases as release gets closer. For instance, dominion is 3 months out so it’ll be surveyed for once every two weeks, once it’s a month out it’ll be surveyed for once a week.

Awareness is on a scale of 0-100, it’s the percentage of people aware the movie exists and is coming out

Interest is on a scale of 0-10, it’s the average of what the respondents rated their interest levels to be. For instance, The Batman had a 6.9 and No way home had a 7.2 upon release.

Location is the percentage of respondents who want to see it in a movie theatre rather than at hone.

Free or fee is the percentage people who are willing to pay to watch it.

JWD’s numbers are incredible across the board, especially given that it’s 3 months out and they are expected to increase as we get closer

Hope that helps. I’ve been part of the box office community for a while.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

https://twitter.com/JurassicOutpost/sta ... fe8fg&s=19

New BTS look at the animatronics confirm the return of Dimorphodon and Stygimoloch and a new additon: Microceratus!

RIP Evan.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

It seems 'Jurassic World: Dominion' won't be the last film in the series after all:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think the only way they can go forward is to include Ice Age creatures.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:05 pm I think the only way they can go forward is to include Ice Age creatures.
Yes, I also think prehistoric mammals and birds should be done in the future. But why stop there? What about prehistoric animals that lived even before the dinosaurs? What about the huge cockroaches as big as sparrows and with wider wingspans? The huge dragonflies with two-foot wingspans? The trilobites? The ammonites? The sea scorpions? Why, the possibilities could give paleontologists goosebumps!
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

Honestly, looking back on it, I wish Jurassic Park had just stopped at one classic film.

Not everything needs a sequel.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GoKelley85 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:49 pm Honestly, looking back on it, I wish Jurassic Park had just stopped at one classic film.

TLW and JP3 came in right around the time that I was getting into the series. I wouldn't trade either them for the world. They're classics in my eyes and played a huge impact on my love of film today.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Spuro wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:24 pm
GoKelley85 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:49 pm Honestly, looking back on it, I wish Jurassic Park had just stopped at one classic film.

TLW and JP3 came in right around the time that I was getting into the series. I wouldn't trade either them for the world. They're classics in my eyes and played a huge impact on my love of film today.
God, I wish this fourm had a like button.

TLW and JP3 are classics and not nearly as bad as some people act

RIP Evan.