The Jurassic Park/World Series

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Jurassic Park Series (1-6)

Post by CyberZilla »

Piggybacking off of Soggy’s point, I’ve seen a lot of vitriol for Fallen Kingdom for various writing reasons, and JW is mostly considered good or at least decent. Fallen Kingdom’s main issue for me is that it tries to do the Indominus plot again at the last minute with the Indoraptor, but in a much less successful way.

Myself, I loved JW and enjoyed Fallen Kingdom well enough, but it’s not as good as the first Jurassic World entry. Hoping Dominion is able to be better.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Wait, moros is in the scene? A dinosaur from the Jurassic period that is an ancestor to T. rex is in a scene with T. rex

Added in 3 minutes 50 seconds:
Having humans in this short makes more sense at this point
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:08 pm Wait, moros is in the scene? A dinosaur from the Jurassic period that is an ancestor to T. rex is in a scene with T. rex

Which smoothbrain wrote this

Moros is actually Cretaceous!

It is the ancestor though so yeah its totally nonsense lmao.

They should really fuck with everyone and put the Jurassic animals in the scene. Now nothing is actually from the Jurassic

RIP Evan.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

CyberZilla wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:01 pm Myself, I loved JW and enjoyed Fallen Kingdom well enough, but it’s not as good as the first Jurassic World entry. Hoping Dominion is able to be better.
Fallen Kingdom suffered because it tried to do to much in the 2nd half of the film. There was zero need for the Indoraptor, I have nothing against the animal itself and quite enjoyed his smirk before killing buffalo bill but realistically you could have replace him with a Dilo an it would have been just as if not more so effective.

You have the auction, Indoraptor, Lockwood's death, Maisie being a clone, the Dinosaur's escaping. All of it felt rushed without any build up.. Remove Lockwood's death, Indoraptor, and Maisie being a clone and just have the auction and the Dinos escaping and you'd have a much smoother film.

Dominion has SO much going for it, this is what I wanted for the series after the TLW when the Rex went to San Diego, hopefully Colin doesn't screw it up and try to cram to much into it an make it over-complicated.

JW plot was simple and fun and that's why it worked.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:19 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:09 pm Off topic from Dominion, but I’m wondering what the reception to Jurassic World and Fallen Kingdom are for the Jurassic Park fandom, seeing as I’ve been comprletely estranged from it until about ~2 weeks ago
Jurassic World is mostly liked to various degrees while Fallen Kingdom is.....trying to get people to agree on that is like trying to get Star Wars fans to agree on the Sequels :lol:
Fallen Kingdom is my third favorite, personally, after TLW and the original. It's flawed, but I adore its gothic horror aesthetics, its cinematography, its musical score, and its willingness to try something new and take the series in a fresh direction.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:09 pm Off topic from Dominion, but I’m wondering what the reception to Jurassic World and Fallen Kingdom are for the Jurassic Park fandom, seeing as I’ve been comprletely estranged from it until about ~2 weeks ago
I did a franchise rewatch a few weeks ago and came to this basic conclusion:

JP >> TLW > JWFK > JP3 = JW

JW is as by-the-book as a JP film can get. It feels like a quasi-remake of the original but with none of the substance, nuance or anything that made it great. It also tries to include this anti-capitalistic message about how the park is too sterile and how corporate everything is but it never focuses its attention on that, instead choosing just to go with brainless action and flanderizing the dinosaurs further into being mindless monsters instead of animals. The pterosaur attack sequence alone ruins the entire movie with how obnoxious and idiotic it is.

FK has problems as well, glaring ones at that, but I at least give it credit for not following a repetitive island-focused formula like its predecessors. The mansion setting is a welcome change from previous entries having most of the action taking place on one of the two islands. The Indoraptor is a far more interesting genetic monster than the Indominus and is given way much more in terms of personality and just basic character. The Indominus feels like a really shitty TTRPG player character who almost always has some kind of special cool new ability to totally overcome the odds in whatever fight. The Indoraptor might feel repetitive just by nature of being another genetic hybrid but it's far more acceptable as a "contracted bio-weapon" than Indominus' "lol kids don't care about dinosaurs anymore so we made a new one" shtick. JW tries to implement this angle with the velociraptors being trained but it's never developed very far and seems like nothing more than setup for the one twist involving the Indominus suddenly gaining control over Owen's pack (See my comment about "special cool new abilities" again).

Like I said, FK has a ton of problems (more than I already talked about) but I would still take it over JW because it doesn't continually frustrate me as much as JW does.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:23 pm
I did a franchise rewatch a few weeks ago and came to this basic conclusion:

JP >> TLW > JWFK > JP3 = JW

JW is as by-the-book as a JP film can get. It feels like a quasi-remake of the original but with none of the substance, nuance or anything that made it great. It also tries to include this anti-capitalistic message about how the park is too sterile and how corporate everything is but it never focuses its attention on that, instead choosing just to go with brainless action and flanderizing the dinosaurs further into being mindless monsters instead of animals. The pterosaur attack sequence alone ruins the entire movie with how obnoxious and idiotic it is.

FK has problems as well, glaring ones at that, but I at least give it credit for not following a repetitive island-focused formula like its predecessors. The mansion setting is a welcome change from previous entries having most of the action taking place on one of the two islands. The Indoraptor is a far more interesting genetic monster than the Indominus and is given way much more in terms of personality and just basic character. The Indominus feels like a really shitty TTRPG player character who almost always has some kind of special cool new ability to totally overcome the odds in whatever fight. The Indoraptor might feel repetitive just by nature of being another genetic hybrid but it's far more acceptable as a "contracted bio-weapon" than Indominus' "lol kids don't care about dinosaurs anymore so we made a new one" shtick. JW tries to implement this angle with the velociraptors being trained but it's never developed very far and seems like nothing more than setup for the one twist involving the Indominus suddenly gaining control over Owen's pack (See my comment about "special cool new abilities" again).

Like I said, FK has a ton of problems (more than I already talked about) but I would still take it over JW because it doesn't continually frustrate me as much as JW does.
Was just coming to say where I stand in and its this exactly. Fallen Kingdom was MUCH more inventive and unique then JW could ever DREAM. And I think JW has some great themes, they just are never done well.

Sadly, half the fanbase still hates Fallen Kingdom so the point I initially wrote still stands.

RIP Evan.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Fallen Kingdom is more like the prequel Star Wars films as far as hate goes.

Personally I like the Indoraptor even though everything is rushed. When he smiles at the guy and plays dead just makes me like him more.

JW also made me feel like a kid again for the first time since the og JP.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I'm unashamed to admit I'm in the camp that prefers 'JW' over 'JW: FK'. Trash and treasure and all that.

DynomikeGojira
G-Grasper

Post by DynomikeGojira »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:33 pm
gottatalktothefake wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:08 pm Wait, moros is in the scene? A dinosaur from the Jurassic period that is an ancestor to T. rex is in a scene with T. rex

They should really skreeonk with everyone and put the Jurassic animals in the scene. Now nothing is actually from the Jurassic
Throw in Dimetrodon while we're at it.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

miguelnuva wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:34 pm Final Kingdom is more like the prequel Star Wars films as far as hate goes.

Personally I like the Indoraptor even though everything is rushed. When he smiles at the guy and plays dead just makes me like him more.

JW also made me feel like a kid again for the first time since the og JP.
Indoraptor wasn’t a bad idea. And they did some cool stuff with it. Wish they had done a little more before offing it, but that’s just me. I’m glad you enjoyed fallen kingdom and I bet with a second watch I’ll see more of the good things it did, I was pretty neutral on it aside from a few concepts and moments.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I love the entire 3rd act of Jurassic World and is what sold me on the movie. I starts pretty rough with forced nostalgia and the brothers subplots makes little sense. That said I do really like Owen and Claire. My biggest problem with Fallen Kingdom is that the tone is all over the place. It never seems to make up its mind whether it wants to be a horror thriller, a slapstick comedy, or a live action Saturday morning cartoon. Still there's a few cool moments and interesting concepts but they don't really go anywhere (at least not yet). Blue is still great though and I like Claire's continued development into a full blown dinosaur rights activist.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

DynomikeGojira wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:25 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:33 pm

They should really skreeonk with everyone and put the Jurassic animals in the scene. Now nothing is actually from the Jurassic
Throw in Dimetrodon while we're at it.
What about Anomalocaris?

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Wrong thread
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I saw the preview today before F9. Boy I was thrilled! Makes me anticipate Dominion even more.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://youtu.be/gzsLHG6QFZc

Clear shot of Giga vs T rex.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

rip link

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Been watching Camp Cretaceous and am really surprised by how good it is. I think it's the best content to come out of the Jurassic franchise since The Lost World. About to start Season 3 soon.

Shoopwoop17
Interpol Agent

Post by Shoopwoop17 »

I'm also here to talk about Camp Cretaceous. I am really liking it, and am most of the way through season three, so I want to mention two things in particular.

1. Yaz's ghost story about how she read that the owner of the park broke his ankle and was eaten alive by Compies made my day. Rarely has the book canon been referenced in the movie canon, and as a fan of the novel I felt incredibly rewarded when she said that.

2. **Potential spoilers, so I'll tag them if I need to** Scorpius rex is the best hybrid. It is ugly and unpolished, and unlike the Indominus and Indoraptor it gives us something different. In my opinion, the Indominus and Indoraptor are pretty boring. They don't really bring interesting new features to the table except for how smart they are. Compare that to the Scorpius, who climbs trees, has a fascination with fire, and shoots poisonous barbs. This thing is unlike anything else in the franchise so far, and I love it.
Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/atxspider/

It is mostly Spider-Man themed, but I'd love to talk cosplay, lightsaber commissions, and countless other topics.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

So, question since it seems like this is being discussed more and more in some circles: how would you guys feel if the franchise brought in Paleozoic and Cenozoic animals in the films? Yeah i know they've been in games and other stuff already, but that's different from the movies themselves. A piece of me kinda does want to see some Gorgonopsids or Wooly Mammoths, Smilodon's, Megalodon's etc... buut, this franchise is called Jurassic Park and has been focused on dinosaurs since it's conception, so i'm kinda split.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!