Neon Genesis Evangelion

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
G-Matt
Futurian

Re: Neon Genesis Evangelion

Post by G-Matt »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:19 pm Also, "Shin Evangelion"?
Well, to be fair, all the Rebuild movies did have that word in their Japanese titles. The three previous ones were titled Evangerion Shin Gekijouban.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

G-Matt wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:06 pm
Well, to be fair, all the Rebuild movies did have that word in their Japanese titles. The three previous ones were titled Evangerion Shin Gekijouban.
Ah ok. Seems that Shin means 'new' in this context.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:18 pm
G-Matt wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:06 pm
Ah ok. Seems that Shin means 'new' in this context.
Per Wikipedia:
The final film... adds Shin (シン) to the title; as it is written in katakana and not kanji, the meaning of shin is ambiguous and it can be alternatively translated as either "new" (新, Shin) (as in previous Rebuild films), "true" (真, Shin), or even something else entirely. As was done with episode titles in the original series, each film has an original Japanese title and a separate English international title picked out by the Japanese studio itself.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Man, I don't even know what to expect from this film anymore; but I'm glade it's finally here, and I hope it nails its landing.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Just watched episode 20.
For Emperor and Empire!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I thought I’d let ya’ll know, I’ve been reading Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project, and I’m up to Stage 7.

Any thoughts on this series?
For Emperor and Empire!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Voyager wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:52 pm I thought I’d let ya’ll know, I’ve been reading Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project, and I’m up to Stage 7.

What's that about? Name sounds familiar but I'm not remembering what it is
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:04 pm
Voyager wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:52 pm I thought I’d let ya’ll know, I’ve been reading Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project, and I’m up to Stage 7.

What's that about? Name sounds familiar but I'm not remembering what it is
Plot Synopsis:

The manga, much like Neon Genesis Evangelion: Angelic Days, is similar to the alternate reality seen at the end of Episode:26. However, it is different from both, showing aspects of the Evangelion world like NERV and other characters related to it.

The series follows Shinji, Rei and Asuka as they go through their high school life while helping out with research at the Artificial Evolution Research Lab, headed by Shinji's parents, Yui and Gendo. Meanwhile, SEELE plans to disrupt the Artificial Evolution Research Lab's experiments in order to reach its goals.

Some characters are the same, some characters are much different, like Rei is a lot more ‘normal’ and Gendo, who is often reduced to a joke.
Last edited by Voyager on Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^ thanks for the synopsis. I'll probably check it out! Is it specifically the reality where Misato was their teacher from ep. 26 or just a similar concept?
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:37 pm ^ thanks for the synopsis. I'll probably check it out! Is it specifically the reality where Misato was their teacher from ep. 26 or just a similar concept?
Similar concept. But Misato is still their homeroom teacher ;)
For Emperor and Empire!

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Misato is best girl. The bestest of all time

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I actually started reading TSIRP first before the main NGE manga. I enjoyed that alternate reality scene in the last episode, and that's what made me interested in this. Overall, it's pretty enjoyable to read for all the character interactions and the art does improve after the first few volumes, but it is quite full of fan service and the ending left me a little bit disappointed.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

My character tier list. If you want the link… https://tiermaker.com/create/evangelion ... ilds-78762

I have so many reasons to despise Asuka, but I just can’t.
For Emperor and Empire!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Just finished NGE… Will be watching EoE soon!
Spoiler:
I would so be down for a spinoff series based in the slice of life reality shown at the end of Ep. 26. I can only ever see normal Eva characters on the pages and games, but an animated series where I can see a functional human being version of Rei?

I’m waiting, and I will wait until I die.
For Emperor and Empire!

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Voyager wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:41 am
Spoiler:
I would so be down for a spinoff series based in the slice of life reality shown at the end of Ep. 26. I can only ever see normal Eva characters on the pages and games, but an animated series where I can see a functional human being version of Rei?

I’m waiting, and I will wait until I die.
Spoiler:
The visual novel game Girlfriend of Steel 2, as well as its manga adaptation Angelic Days, and the Shinji Ikari Raising Project manga/game are probably the closest we'll ever get to that. Although I really would like to see an actual anime based on that alternate reality, regardless.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Random question: does the class rep have a name? I only remember her being referred to as Class Rep throughout the series which was kinda weird lol

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:35 pm Random question: does the class rep have a name? I only remember her being referred to as Class Rep throughout the series which was kinda weird lol
Hikari Horaki
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

The three previous Rebuild movies have been re-dubbed for Amazon Prime, most notably with Amanda Winn Lee returning as Rei.

https://twitter.com/evamonkey/status/14 ... 97095?s=21

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

G-Matt wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:40 pm The three previous Rebuild movies have been re-dubbed for Amazon Prime, most notably with Amanda Winn Lee returning as Rei.

https://twitter.com/evamonkey/status/14 ... 97095?s=21
I've avoid all the dubs for NGE so I wouldn't know but is this news considered good news?

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It's cool to see even more of the original ADV cast back (someone else voiced Rei for the Funimation dubs), but if the Netflix redub taught us anything it's that casting only counts for so much. Dan Kanemitsu is inevitably involved, but it looks like they also have a "Localization Quality Assurance" guy, so I assume we're at least not getting his translation almost verbatim again. I'm interested, but I'm waiting to actually hear them.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon