Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Elytron Frass
Ronin

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Elytron Frass »

Man this is gud sh*t.
Feels equally standalone and complementary to the first PR. Has its own identity and purpose. The drama works. My only hope is that it gets a second season and maybe finally we can explore the Precursors and their goals. The background art is gorgeous and detailed. The kaiju and jaigers are well animated and pop with vinrant colors. The story is simple but well structured, well written, well acted and directed.
Last edited by Elytron Frass on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just finished it. If by some miracle, there's ever a Pacific Rim 3, they better get whoever wrote this. If only, the series had a better name...

Bluezilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Bluezilla »

Wow. Watched episode one. This is a great concept.
Impressive.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Elytron Frass wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:59 pm Man this is gud sh*t.
Feels equally standalone and complementary to the first PR. Has its own identity and purpose. The drama works. My only hope is that it gets a second season and maybe finally we can explore the Precursors and their goals. The background art is gorgeous and detailed. The kaiju and jaigers are well animated and pop with vinrant colors. The story is simple but well structured, well written, well acted and directed.
It was already set for a second season when it was announced.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

I just watched all 7 episodes in one sitting
I honestly thought it was great, I would have liked more action but what was there really pleased me. It got way darker at times than I expected.
Spoiler:
I kind of wish Apex came back for the finale tho

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:21 pm I just watched all 7 episodes in one sitting
I honestly thought it was great, I would have liked more action but what was there really pleased me. It got way darker at times than I expected.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Yeah, I was expecting Boy to call Apex when he started growling.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Holy shit, I can't believe this came out so suddenly. When I get home I'll for sure marathon it. Wait for me guys to enter the discussion!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I am soo excited to watch this! Bummed it's only 7 episodes this season though.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

As long as it won't be considered a spoiler can anyone tell me WHEN the series takes place? The opening has Jaegers from both the movies so thats throwing me off. That being said just beginning this series and I'm really glad to see Pacific Rim get more love and I have high hopes for this series! (Please don't be as bad as Uprising)

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

cloverfan98 wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:36 pm As long as it won't be considered a spoiler can anyone tell me WHEN the series takes place? The opening has Jaegers from both the movies so thats throwing me off. That being said just beginning this series and I'm really glad to see Pacific Rim get more love and I have high hopes for this series! (Please don't be as bad as Uprising)
Some years after Uprising, though it feels like it is its own timeline that vaguely calls back things from the first film and Uprising. Especially one spoiler related element.
Last edited by Tyrant28 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

First episode is very promising! Good fights, a decent emotional core and set up to justify it existing! Awesome so far!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

5 episodes down and holy hell this is great! Terrific characters and unlike the new characters of Uprising these characters have ACTUAL trauma and loss to cope with alonside the Kaiju.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

So, can I watch this fine having never seen Uprising?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Vakanai wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:29 am So, can I watch this fine having never seen Uprising?
Yes, it's completely skippable. So far anything that's important to know gets a minor refresher.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:21 pm I just watched all 7 episodes in one sitting
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
They’re kinda busy with Godzilla and Kong at the moment :P
Watching this now and I’m digging it so far.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I liked the finale, and that the big final fight was just against Copperhead. However, just a bit more with it would've been excellent. The monster and Kaiju action while sparse is always excellent. The cliff hanger is....interesting! I'm looking forward to the next installment! It was also dark, but not edgy. It made sense given the world they were in, and it did a good job at establishing Shane as a real villain. As more people watch it I suppose we will have more general discussions on it.
Also to anyone watching this, Pacific Rim The Dark works as a worthy followup to the original Pacific Rim film.

Elytron Frass
Ronin

Post by Elytron Frass »

I really liked PR Black's nod & spin on the Kaiju Graveyard concept first introduced in the original Ultraman series.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Elytron Frass wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:17 am I really liked PR Black's nod & spin on the Kaiju Graveyard concept first introduced in the original Ultraman series.
There’s a lot of nods to a lot of different things. For example, the entire series is pretty similar to Blue Gender, although it’s distinct enough. I recommend Blue Gender to those that liked this.

Elytron Frass
Ronin

Post by Elytron Frass »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:27 am
Elytron Frass wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:17 am I really liked PR Black's nod & spin on the Kaiju Graveyard concept first introduced in the original Ultraman series.
There’s a lot of nods to a lot of different things. For example, the entire series is pretty similar to Blue Gender, although it’s distinct enough. I recommend Blue Gender to those that liked this.
yup, there's definitely a Blue Gender vibe. I've rewatched that series maybe 4 or 5 times since it first aired back in the late 90s.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

I really thought Uprising turned out to be the killing blow for this franchise but I'm really glad it wasn't.

Spoilers for the series:
Spoiler:
I'm glad they didn't retcon it either. It builds on established canon instead of treating it poorly. It's not like this is a direct sequel but it clearly takes place after it and the setting being limited to an isolated Australia means they can be selective about what elements they choose to include but it does make you wonder what the state of the world at large is if they're willing to abandon the continent. Apex was a good extension of the kaiju drone subplot in Uprising, having one survive and evolve into its own thing is much better than just leaving them as a stopgap to summoning more kaiju. When Boy turned into a kaiju I was worried that it was going to be like some kind of superpower he could turn on and off and we'd have a 'good' kaiju, but it's not like that. That really sums up this anime for me, every time I thought they were going to do something dumb... they didn't.

Copperhead is a cool kaiju despite not really having any special powers, which in a way made him a fitting opponent for Atlas. Definitely worthy of being up there with Knifehead, Otachi and Leatherback. I'm glad they didn't go with a monster of the week format, that shit gets old fast and this show proves that every episode doesn't need a "new monster shows up, causes havoc, Jaeger defeats it at the end" setup and I'm hoping that the other monster shows we end up getting also allocate time into developing their world and characters. I was a little disappointed that all we really got outside of Copperhead was a lot of the Acid Quill design, but that was probably a budgetary decision than anything else. At first I thought there was a lot less personality built into the settings and character design compared to Del Toro's PR, but I can at least rationalize that with The Black being about survival above all else. Apparently a second season is already greenlit, looking forward to seeing more from the future of this series and here's hoping that we don't have to wait as long to see it.

I think the only real long-term downside from Uprising (aside from the streamlining of the tech, I get that it's more advanced but c'mon it's just not as cool) is Mako being dead. That's a shame because just seeing Striker Berserker Eureka again and Stacker, Herc and Raleigh being namedropped reminded me that I'm still invested in this universe.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.