Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by gottatalktothefake »

This franchise kinda needs a post mortem
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:46 pm Bumping because we now know that del Toro's Pacific Rim 2 would've been insane.
https://www.thewrap.com/guillermo-del-t ... l-version/
Aaah those are neat ideas! It is cool seeing where Del Toro started something and where it went with Uprising. Such as the guy picking up the Kaiju creator's inventions and science and then evolving into controlled Newt.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:46 pm Bumping because we now know that del Toro's Pacific Rim 2 would've been insane.
https://www.thewrap.com/guillermo-del-t ... l-version/
It was so strange to me how Pacific Rim 2 never really addressed the issue of the precursors or what they are. Based on some things in Pacific Rim the Black we can sort of see how possibly that might re-introduce that idea.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

I know lamenting What Could Have Beens is cool and all, especially when it comes to GDT, but...
And then we found out that the precursors are us thousands of years in the future... And that we were in exo-bio-suits that looked alien, but they were not. We were inside.
This just simply doesn't track with the first film. Or with anything.

At all.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

And then we found out that the precursors are us thousands of years in the future... And that we were in exo-bio-suits that looked alien, but they were not. We were inside.

That a really lame twist to be honest.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

That’s a super awful twist

I guess the movies were kinda doomed from the start
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

It'd probably be great and very different from the first film. Starting out with a simple goodies v. baddies conflict only to make it murkier or more complicated later on is classic tokusatsu storytelling.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

To me it fits nicely because one thing the first film was really lacking was villain motivation. Like it was as bare-bones as possible in terms of “aliens/kaiju invade!”. I don’t think it’s too far-fetched either, because perhaps you can see or interpret the drift system eventually leading to the ability to control the kaiju.

GDT probably had an idea of what he wanted the Pre-cursors to be, but intentionally avoided clarifying to allow him, or whoever replaced him, to do as they please.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:13 pm To me it fits nicely because one thing the first film was really lacking was villain motivation. Like it was as bare-bones as possible in terms of “aliens/kaiju invade!”
"We want your land for no good reason, and are perfectly willing to kill you all for it" with zero "sympathy" bells & whistles behind it might not look like much of a motivation at first glance, but ask any person belonging to an indigenous culture, and they'll likely tell you there's nothing more real & terrifying.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

NSZ wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:13 pm
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:13 pm To me it fits nicely because one thing the first film was really lacking was villain motivation. Like it was as bare-bones as possible in terms of “aliens/kaiju invade!”
"We want your land for no good reason, and are perfectly willing to kill you all for it" with zero "sympathy" bells & whistles behind it might not look like much of a motivation at first glance, but ask any person belonging to an indigenous culture, and they'll likely tell you there's nothing more real & terrifying.
^Thats a very good point, and I’ll think about that next time I watch a film in which I critique/view villains in that fashion. Thanks!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

NSZ wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:13 pm "We want your land for no good reason, and are perfectly willing to kill you all for it" with zero "sympathy" bells & whistles behind it might not look like much of a motivation at first glance, but ask any person belonging to an indigenous culture, and they'll likely tell you there's nothing more real & terrifying.
This... is actually very true. I never thought about it in those terms before, being the white American that I am, but you're absolutely correct. That's going to pretty radically alter my perception of this type of 'simplistic' alien invasion going forward. It's very worth mentioning that we do the same thing to animals every day, too, without a second thought.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

M.U.T.O.
Futurian

Post by M.U.T.O. »

JAGzilla wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:35 am
NSZ wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:13 pm "We want your land for no good reason, and are perfectly willing to kill you all for it" with zero "sympathy" bells & whistles behind it might not look like much of a motivation at first glance, but ask any person belonging to an indigenous culture, and they'll likely tell you there's nothing more real & terrifying.
This... is actually very true. I never thought about it in those terms before, being the white American that I am, but you're absolutely correct. That's going to pretty radically alter my perception of this type of 'simplistic' alien invasion going forward. It's very worth mentioning that we do the same thing to animals every day, too, without a second thought.
Breaking my self-imposed “never going back here again” to say, H.G. Wells’ The War Of The Worlds was written as a critique of imperialism — British imperialism, yes, but imperialism no less. Given that story is the archetype for these alien invasion plots…well, yeah.

Anyways, back to anywhere but here.
What do you call it when a railroad engineer moves toward a psychic?
Spoiler:
Approach Medium.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I don't like the idea of the aliens being humans in the far future. I liked the mystery around them. In general I prefer most villainous motivations to be unexplored or just downright evil.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Pacific Rim: The Black part 2, April 19.

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/sta ... Uef0Q&s=19
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Great to finally hear news about this.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

OK I haven’t watched any pacific rim media for a long time including The anime. I guess I have to rewatch it again.

Added in 5 minutes 42 seconds:
Also everyone’s thoughts on the anime? I would like to know them out of curiosity

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:20 pm OK I haven’t watched any pacific rim media for a long time including The anime. I guess I have to rewatch it again.

Also everyone’s thoughts on the anime? I would like to know them out of curiosity
It was decent. Leaps and miles better than Uprising or either of the two Godzilla animes, but nothing to write home about either. But I’ll watch a Season 2.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Spuro wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:03 am
Thatguy4683 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:20 pm OK I haven’t watched any pacific rim media for a long time including The anime. I guess I have to rewatch it again.

It was decent. Leaps and miles better than Uprising or either of the two Godzilla animes, but nothing to write home about either. But I’ll watch a Season 2.
Pretty much my feelings exactly

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

PR never needed to be a franchise I think. The first movie had a perfect ending that the sequel material has really undermined. I watched Uprising and the Anime but probably won't watch anymore. Neither were as impactful as the unapologetically awesome as Rim 1. Definitely a childhood favorite for me right alongside Star Wars & Jurassic Park. Also Uprising killing off Pacific Rim's two main characters on and off screen was just wrong.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

Hi!