Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Spuro »

Hey, cool, Trespasser’s back.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Still don't care much for the whole kid turning into the kaiju aspect

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

It’s sort of does look cool but I really feel like The stuff they added is so detached from pacific rim it’s basically it’s own entity. Like why is there a kid that can turn into a Kaiju? why is there a cult? Why does the cult want to control the Kaiju I thought they were controlled by the precursors? What the fuck is going on?
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

m8, cults have been a thing since the first movie
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

NSZ wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:14 pm m8, cults have been a thing since the first movie
Wait really, I guess I haven’t watched everything from the first film, my bad.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Yep. There was a cult in the first movie, but just mentioned

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Not to split hairs, but it's more a kaiju disguised as a boy, kind of like a trojan horse. I have no idea how it works, but I think that's what's happening.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Legendary Gojira »

Gotschiller wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:55 am

Nice.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Glad to say that Uprising was indeed just a fluke. While maybe not as good as Pacific Rim, The Black in its entirety is really, really good. Highly recommend both seasons.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Overall I thought it was pretty good...but there were still some flaws that made me scratch my head.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:35 pm Glad to say that Uprising was indeed just a fluke. While maybe not as good as Pacific Rim, The Black in its entirety is really, really good. Highly recommend both seasons.
Yeah. I think it got what made the first Pacific Rim so strong; bonds between people, and confronting dark/uncomfortable histories between individuals. I won't say too much (I'll wait for people to watch it), but The Black Serves as a good follow-up to Pacific Rim, even if its scale isn't grandiose. I still have some problems with it, but it's good.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

The Black is great

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I just watched the first four episodes of Season 2. My Dad really enjoyed it. I really liked it also, although I did have one issue with the baddies.
Spoiler:
I wish they writers would have followed the "Less is More" rule with the cult. I would have the cult be more mysterious/much less talkative. But I am somebody who grew up on A Series of Unfortunate Events, Cloverfield, Prometheus, H.P. Lovecraft, etc. So perhaps i might be biased towards that rule. I like when antagonists are more mysterious. (Such as Joker in The Dark Knight, how we know nothing of his background).
Still, I can not wait to finish the last three episodes. I was very happy to see Trespasser. I hope we eventually see a Blu Ray release for this series, as well as for the Godzilla: Earth and Singular Point series as well.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Also, a Reddit post informed me that there is going to be an "Art of" book for Pacific Rim: The Black! I am excited to get it! It's on Amazon for pre-order right now.

Sorry for double post!
Last edited by Anguirus on Tue May 17, 2022 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Don't think I saw it here but apparently Pacific Rim: The Black has concluded after this new season. I wasn't a mega fan of it but makes it disappointing given that there's not much of anything forthcoming (that's been announced) for TV or theaters from the franchise. I suppose it'll at least limp along for a while in the world of comics, books, and collectibles, but such a shame considering the franchise's potential.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly I feel like this franchise is still struggling to really survive. I'm not gonna really blame Uprising for EVERYTHING that lead to this point, but with The Black also getting an early end, and not much other content, it feels like Legendary is TRYING to make this franchise work, but can't exactly get a good grounding for it to thrive in.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:15 pm Honestly I feel like this franchise is still struggling to really survive. I'm not gonna really blame Uprising for EVERYTHING that lead to this point, but with The Black also getting an early end, and not much other content, it feels like Legendary is TRYING to make this franchise work, but can't exactly get a good grounding for it to thrive in.
Yeah, sadly it has never been on steady footing. The original film underperformed in the US despite lacking significant competition in theaters, the second film.....well, you saw it, and PRTB was watchable but presumably didn't draw in many viewers.

Short of a crossover with a major franchise like Godzilla specifically or the MonsterVerse, I don't see how the franchise can really rebuild enough relevance to justify a big-budget film or series. A streaming service doing a big-budget live-action series in an action-sci-fi format might work, but is a risky calculation.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I received my "The Art of Pacific Rim: The Black" book today. Flipping through, the book seems pretty neat.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I think for more PacRim the move is to bring back GDT and do a sequel that ignores Uprising. It's selfish of me to hope for that, partially because I want GDT to make a big movie again, partially because I refuse to watch Uprising.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

InfiniteHollywood
GPN Volunteer

Post by InfiniteHollywood »

Not to necro bump an ancient thread, but Pacific Rim is referenced in an amusing and surprising way in the Amazon Prime series Jury Duty. It's largely just a throwaway gag, but it actually gets more than one line so someone must have been a fan.