Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Legendary Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Re: Pacific Rim (the big general thread)

Post by Legendary Gojira »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:04 am I liked both but that's just me.
I actually liked both movies, too. I liked the first one more, but I don't get the actual hatred PR2 gets.

Granted, I didn't like that Raleigh wasn't in it, nor that they killed off Mako, but I still enjoyed the film.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I mean I love Obsidian Fury which is a big part of it. Both his fights with Avenger are pretty cool.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

I disliked the movie because of how boring the main cast ended up being, and certain returning cast members got the short end of the stick. Didn’t mind the action and I liked the kaiju-jaeger hybrids, just wish they had done better with the story since the first was so compelling.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

So what's next for this slowly dying franchise? Think they can get any more juice out of it?
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

ernesth100 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:18 pm So what's next for this slowly dying franchise? Think they can get any more juice out of it?
Honestly, I think it's completely dead outside of more seasons of the anime and *maybe* a comic.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Rewatching Pacific Rim with a friend reminded me why it’s one of my all time favorite films. The beautiful way it’s shot, the colors, that soundtrack, the choreography in the fights, even the characters (they aren’t the deepest, i’ll admit) are all so good. It has such a unique feel and even the Black, as much as I enjoyed that series, hasn’t quite captured back that spirit. It’s a beautiful kaiju and mecha movie and I’ll always adore what it accomplished, even if it wasn’t a box office success.

That being said, the Black is establishing its own unique feel and it’s not bad, so I’m excited to see where it goes.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Considering that we have no other toy reveals besides Atlas announced, I'm guessing we won't be receiving any more figures after that. Sigh.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:43 pm Rewatching Pacific Rim with a friend reminded me why it’s one of my all time favorite films. The beautiful way it’s shot, the colors, that soundtrack, the choreography in the fights, even the characters (they aren’t the deepest, i’ll admit) are all so good. It has such a unique feel and even the Black, as much as I enjoyed that series, hasn’t quite captured back that spirit. It’s a beautiful kaiju and mecha movie and I’ll always adore what it accomplished, even if it wasn’t a box office success.

That being said, the Black is establishing its own unique feel and it’s not bad, so I’m excited to see where it goes.
Well, I wouldn't call it one of my all-time faves and Black does feel more like Evangelion than PR, but pretty much agreed on all fronts.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

CyberZilla wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:43 pm Rewatching Pacific Rim with a friend reminded me why it’s one of my all time favorite films. The beautiful way it’s shot, the colors, that soundtrack, the choreography in the fights, even the characters (they aren’t the deepest, i’ll admit) are all so good. It has such a unique feel and even the Black, as much as I enjoyed that series, hasn’t quite captured back that spirit. It’s a beautiful kaiju and mecha movie and I’ll always adore what it accomplished, even if it wasn’t a box office success.

I believe it's an under-rated film, even within our monster movie community. It delivered spectacular battles and had a wild world (alien monsters coming through a portal, giant mechs, "drifts", need I say more?) and yet somehow felt rather believable whereas Godzilla vs Kong could feel over-the-top in how it handled the Hollow Earth and various other elements). Characters are not memorable, but I wouldn't say they were any less memorable in the vast majority of other monster movies, including the Legendary Godzilla films, Rampage, or The Meg.

Really unfortunate they couldn't get del Toro to do the sequel. That decision set the franchise (which it now is) on the path it is now. Things may have been a little different.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Tohosaurus wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:43 pmReally unfortunate they couldn't get del Toro to do the sequel. That decision set the franchise (which it now is) on the path it is now. Things may have been a little different.
If nothing else, I highly doubt Del Toro would've churned out something as bland, forgettable and downright terrible as what DeKnight gave us.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

KManX89 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:53 pm
Tohosaurus wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:43 pmReally unfortunate they couldn't get del Toro to do the sequel. That decision set the franchise (which it now is) on the path it is now. Things may have been a little different.
If nothing else, I highly doubt Del Toro would've churned out something as bland, forgettable and downright terrible as what DeKnight gave us.
Pretty sure I remember thinking in the theater "okay this wasn't as good but it was still fun" and when I re-watched it on Blu-ray for the second time I felt that sense of "oh no, totally didn't hold up". Definitely gave in to the hype and my desperate hope it would be on the level of the first movie.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Watching the anime. Decent show
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

Legendary should have a fighting game based on the series, in the style of the old Godzilla games. We get to play as both kaiju and jaegar.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Nothing too spoiler-y but Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans on Netflix, produced by Guillermo del Toro, has a very cool, very unabashed shoutout to Pacific Rim that took me by surprise.

If you don't know what any of this is -
Trollhunters, Wizards, and 3 Below are three animated shows that are part of Guillermo Del Toro's Tales of Arcadia series. The series begins with Trollhunters (a fantasy show) followed by 3 Below (a sci-fi spinoff) and Wizards (a direct follow up to the last season of Trollhunters). Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans is basically a culmination that unites all three shows against a new threat.

The Calico
Ronin

Post by The Calico »

Here is the film order / chronological order for the "Pacific Rim Uprising" soundtrack. There are four additional incidental songs in the movie not on the album, plus two unreleased cues which are available on Lorne Balfe's web site (lornebalfe. com/projects/pacific-rim-uprising).

3. Rise of the Jaegers
5. Daddy Yo
11. Nobody Speak
7. Sneaking In
9. Scrapper Chase
6. Shatterdome Arrival
16. Come Down
-. Better Man [Leon Bridges]
13. Combat
14. Obsidian Fury
15. Get It Done (0-1:05)
10. Flashback
8. Shao Industries (0-1:13)
15. Get It Done (1:56-2:40)
-. I Want to Know What Love Is [Foreigner]
12. Kaiju Brain
17. Shatterdome Attacked (0-2:47)
-. The Girl from Ipanema [Eric V. Hachikian]
17. Shatterdome Attacked (2:48-end)
19. Coming Together
4. Go Big or Go Extinct (Patrick Stump Remix)
22. Battle Speech
-. The Trololo Song [Mr. Trololo]
-. Yagers Land [unreleased cue]
21. Mega Kaiju (:58-end)
20. On the Move
-. Amara Joins Jake [unreleased cue]
23. End Game
24. Victory
15. Get It Done (2:41-end)
21. Mega Kaiju (0-:57)

Bonus Music - I couldn't find the cues below in the film; perhaps they were unused tracks or specially prepared for the album release.

1. Pacific Rim Uprising
2. Born into War
8. Shao Industries (1:14-end)
15. Get It Done (1:06-1:55)
18. Amara
25. The Revenge

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Got my wave 2 of the tabletop miniatures shipped yesterday. Nice to have Slattern in toy form with decent detailing.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Please put this franchise to rest while it’s still able to have a dignified death.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Bumping because we now know that del Toro's Pacific Rim 2 would've been insane.
https://www.thewrap.com/guillermo-del-t ... l-version/

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Any word on season 2 of the series?