Monster Design Appreciation Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Monster Design Appreciation Thread

Post by Thatguy4683 »

This is a design appreciation like the Kaiju one but it for smaller monsters like xenomorph or predators

I’ll start off first
Mimic from Edge of Tomorrow
Image I really do love the Design and how they act in the Movie, they are so badass

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monster Design Appreciation Thread

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Get ready for some 80s kaiju love. Not just the known ones like The Thing, Aliens and The Fly...

The Terror Within, mutant monsters spawned from what little was left of humanity following the apocalypse. Worse yet, they are driven to mate with surviving female humans.

This isn't your grandpa's Creature from the Black Lagoon. Monsterous fish-men with a voracious appetite that... Also mate with human females. Good God, 80s had some pervy ass monsters.

The Deadly Spawn. Is it a penis monster or just a big ass, ugly mouth thing?

You don't see him very much, but the demonic killer in Split Second has a cool, if not simple, design. Kind of reminds me of Venom, really.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:23 pm
Holy crap I remember this movie, Very gory film, and I’m pretty impressed that they can do all those special effects with such a low budget

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:23 pm Image
Speaking of penis monsters from the 80s, Rawhead Rex.

Also, the Dragonbat from Cabin in the Woods.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:23 pm The Terror Within, mutant monsters spawned from what little was left of humanity following the apocalypse. Worse yet, they are driven to mate with surviving female humans.

This isn't your grandpa's Creature from the Black Lagoon. Monsterous fish-men with a voracious appetite that... Also mate with human females. Good God, 80s had some pervy ass monsters.
Between this and Humanoids From the Deep, I'm growing concerned about the tastes of certain 80s directors. Why is it always fish-men?

Anyway, here's Nebula from Howl From Beyond the Fog. A kaiju, but a lesser known one:

And here's another lesser known one: The Millennium Bug, from the movie of the same name.

Last edited by Spuro on Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

Alien from Sputnik (2020)
Moder from The Ritual (2017) Image
Razortooth from Razortooth (2006)
Leviathan from Leviathan (1989)
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Spuro wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:49 pm Anyway, here's Nebula from Howl From Beyond the Fog. A kaiju, but a lesser known one:

The kaiju thread is for all kaiju, not just the popular ones. After all, the first kaiju posted there was one literally no one outside of Japan even knows of.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Possessed Adamai from Wakfu

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

A lot of good stuff in this thread! As someone that loves 80's movies I like Rawhead Rex and Humanoids from the Deep among others. No other decade could pull off this crap that's for sure. I am guessing these director's read too much HP Lovecraft only they up the emphasis on rape which actually makes me question why they focus on it so much. They seem a little to acquainted with the matter...

I can't post the image, but someone should post the Rawhead Rex we got from the film adaption. It looks nothing like the comic to say the least. Basically they removed the sexual elements and made him look like a punk rock ogre. While he looks kind of goofy and the movie isn't a masterpiece by any means it is enjoyable. The scene where Rex is shot at and on fire but still comes at his attempted assailants is glorious. In fact I think this creature should be more recognized among punk rock fans because let's face it, how often do we get a crazy monster with a mohawk?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Lesko wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:28 pm I can't post the image, but someone should post the Rawhead Rex we got from the film adaption. It looks nothing like the comic to say the least. Basically they removed the sexual elements and made him look like a punk rock ogre. While he looks kind of goofy and the movie isn't a masterpiece by any means it is enjoyable. The scene where Rex is shot at and on fire but still comes at his attempted assailants is glorious. In fact I think this creature should be more recognized among punk rock fans because let's face it, how often do we get a crazy monster with a mohawk?
Here.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of this design but I can see how it would appeal to other people

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Gotta shout out the Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller!
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Spoiler:
The Whitespikes from The Tomorrow War.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

For me, when it comes to werewolves, I find the werewolves from the criminally underrated remake of The Wolfman and 1981's The Howling to be the absolute best.

Resized Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

The Wolf Man (1941), An American Werewolf in London (1981) and The Howling (1981) are the werewolf holy trinity.

Rick Baker's Wolfman redesign was phenomenal and another Oscar well-earned for him, nobody did werewolves and apes better than him.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Kurt Barlow in the 1979 version of Salem's Lot by Tobe Hooper is a kino as fuck vampire.

Resized Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^They should do a re-adaptation of that story.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I absolutely love the Squigs from Warhammer Fantasy, Age of Sigmar, and 40K.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

You never get a good, clear look at it...

The underwater beast from Monster Shark/Devil Fish. Virtually an octopus-like body with tentacles, but the head/mouth of a dunkleosteus.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

There was this monster in a Movie Called Deep Dark, there are no screenshots currently of it but I remember a statue that looks exactly like it.