The Great Yokai War by Takashi Miike, With Daimajin!

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
gottatalktothefake
Futurian

The Great Yokai War by Takashi Miike, With Daimajin!

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Trailer:

Poster:
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Great Yokai War by Takashi Miike, With Daimajin!

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I've changed the title of the thread. This can be just the discussion of this film, so the Daimajin thread doesn't get cluttered. A lot of people on here will probably want to discuss this film on it's own.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Honestly I would just convert the Gamera sub-forum to general Daiei/Kadokawa discussion including Gamera, Daimajin, Yokai Monsters and others. I'd do the same with the Ultraman sub-forum and Tsuburaya Productions, if it's not already treated that way.

Anyway this is probably the best way for Daimajin to return, a Yokai Monsters crossover is just obvious and directed by Takashi Miike (an absolute filmmaking machine) is a major plus, even if it's a kid friendlier version.

mwbworld
Yojimbo

Post by mwbworld »

It does look fun. I'm definitely in. (I'm also hoping for Yokai monsters films blu-ray release someday - already pre-ordered the original Daimajin set.)

Silly at times but still fun looking.

- Michael

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

I'm liking the Tanuki army, and both dragon designs look cool. Daimajin is looking great aswell.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That looks amusing.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MechaSkeleturtle666
Samurai

Post by MechaSkeleturtle666 »

Nice! Great to see Daimajin back in action!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Dig the funky new design for one of my favorite kaiju.

PacRim really set off the "bioluminescent kaiju" trend, eh? From Shin Godzilla's cooling lava skin to Godzilla vs. Kong having Goji almost always having a bit of that radioactive blue to him and now - the giant Majin is just straight-up on fire!

Anyway, I hope Arrow Video picks this up (and releases the previous 4).

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Wow nice! With even Daimajin getting a new makeover it renews my hope for Gamera as well. From what I see of the new design so far it is downright scary and menacing just like Majin should be!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

SciFi Japan with a clarification -
THE GREAT YOKAI WAR -GUARDIANS- Press Notes, Trailer and Photo Gallery From Kadokawa
Takashi Miike has brought back many of the classic Yokai seen in the first THE GREAT YOKAI WAR. The movie will also feature Bushin, a new interpretation of of the ancient god Daimajin from Daiei's 1966 movie trilogy. Miike was once attached to direct a Daimajin remake , but the film was canceled by Kadokawa due to the poor box office for another of their monster movies, GAMERA THE BRAVE ((小さき勇者たち〜ガメラ〜, Chiisaki Yūsha-tachi Gamera, 2006).
The Yokai decide to revive the legendary God of War Bushin to confront the Yokai monsters. However, to bring Bushin back, they will need help from a descendent of the ancient Yokai hunter, Tsuna Watanabe. They find a schoolboy named Kei (Kokoro Terada) and his younger brother Dai (Rei Inomata). The two youngsters have often played at tests of courage, but now destiny has chosen them for a great adventure.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

The character has a new name, but is referred to as 'Daimajin' in the trailer - just reminded me that 'Daimajin' isn't really a name at all: its more of a description - 'giant' or 'great' 'devil' or 'evil spirit.'

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I just realized the first film also had a crossover element with Yasunori Kato (from Akio Jissoji's Tokyo: The Last Megalopolis among others) as the bad guy.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ How did that shake out legally? Was the author of those books the character originated in involved with the production?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

^ If Wikipedia is to go by -
The Great Yokai War (妖怪大戦争, Yōkai Daisensō): A 2005 fantasy film by Takashi Miike. Yasunori Katō leads an army of twisted yōkai on an invasion of Tokyo. Was made in cooperation with Hiroshi Aramata (who wrote the novel), Shigeru Mizuki and Natsuhiko Kyogoku.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Since this is out, does anyone know how our good ol' wrathful samurai statue factors in?
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Has anyone here seen this yet?

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I want to watch this movie just for Daimajin. Although I should watch the previous films first.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:12 pm Has anyone here seen this yet?
Probably not - I think only one or maybe two posters here live in Japan? But if/when they see it I'd love to hear their thoughts. Clearly it's aimed for a younger audience than most (probably all) of us, but it might still be bearable for us adults who just want to see Daimajin.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Vakanai wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:38 pm
Probably not - I think only one or maybe two posters here live in Japan? But if/when they see it I'd love to hear their thoughts. Clearly it's aimed for a younger audience than most (probably all) of us, but it might still be bearable for us adults who just want to see Daimajin.
Nick on the staff has seen it. His review just went live in fact:

https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/movie- ... rdians-nd/
If it bites... don't mess with it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Arbok wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:35 pm
Vakanai wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:38 pm
Nick on the staff has seen it. His review just went live in fact:

https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/movie- ... rdians-nd/
Ooh, will check it out now, thanks!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.