The Slurpasaur thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: The Slurpasaur thread

Post by edgaguirus »

tbeasley wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:53 am
edgaguirus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:24 pmrabbits aren't scary no matter how much ketchup you shmeer on the faces.
Tell that to these guys -
Looks like the rabbit took out 1,2,5 of them.

I remember seeing Women of Prehistoric Planet on MST3K. It also had a large spider if I recall.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

This method certainly has merit and can be used very effectively in the case of well-trained and taken care of animals. Point I draw the line is when they have animals getting poked or prodded or coerced into acting, let alone the horrific abuse of having lizards or other reptiles often fight for amusement.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

One of the most infamous ones is The Lost World (1960). Irwin Allen seemed to spend most of the film's budget on name stars like Claude Raines and Michael Rennie. Willis O'Brien offered to do the stop motion, but Allen opted for lizards instead. Willis O'Brien did stay onboard to work on other aspects of the special effects (matte paintings, glass paintings, etc.). This one feels even more insulting than others because the characters use "brontosaurus" and "tyrannosaurus" do describe lizards and caimans with horns and fins glued onto them.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

While that one is one of the most egregious with animal abuse, I will have to admit that the "Fire Monster" (bottom pic) looks pretty good. Also, they predicted Shringasaurus.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:54 am While that one is one of the most egregious with animal abuse, I will have to admit that the "Fire Monster" (bottom pic) looks pretty good. Also, they predicted Shringasaurus.
Speaking of Fire Monsters, the 1962 film Fire Monstes Against the Son of Hercules features a brief appearance by a photographically-enlarged lizard, plus a few other monsters realized via full-scale mock-ups and puppets. This is one of my favorite pepla films, as it's full of monsters and two-fisted daring-do.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Journey to the Center of Time was a shot-for-shot remake of The Time Travellers. Some promotional materials suggest the presence of dinosaurs in the movie, but all viewers got was an embiggened lizard.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'm not sure if this film applies, but I think it does. In Dr. Cyclops, we see our miniaturized characters facing an alligator.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

edgaguirus wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:22 pm I'm not sure if this film applies, but I think it does. In Dr. Cyclops, we see our miniaturized characters facing an alligator.

I would agree. The more, the merrier!

Last edited by H-Man on Fri May 07, 2021 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

An episode of Honey I shrunk the Kids (yes., there was a TV series) has a monitor lizard stand in for a carnivorous tenontosaurus. No really.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:50 am An episode of Honey I shrunk the Kids (yes., there was a TV series) has a monitor lizard stand in for a carnivorous tenontosaurus. No really.
Wow, I wouldn't have expected that sort of thing in the 1990s.

The 1969 Hong Kong wuxia film Dragon Swamp, starring Cheng Pei Pei (non-fans may recognize her as the villainess from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon) featured an embiggened lizard.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

And lest I forget, Killers from Space (1954), directed by Billy Wilder's less-talented brother, features a big lizard:

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

This is a good thread

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Killers From Space also featured big bugs and a spider.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Spuro wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:13 pm
H-Man wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:03 pm Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) actually an Oscar nod for Best Special Effects, but ended up losing to Ben-Hur.
Between this and One Million BC, the Oscars are starting to look like a huge joke. :lol:

Well, a larger one than they already were, anyway.
A photographically-enlarged joke?

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

H-Man wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:40 pmA photographically-enlarged joke?
Indeed. They've never been serious either, just ways to stop people fro unionising and take away the unearned profits of corporations.

But anyways a successor to this could be photoshopping or photobashing reptiles, often by just adding wings. The one example I can name is an episode of Eyewitness.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

That reminds me of one of the creatures from At the Earth's Core. It's called a fire breathing toad but looks as more like a lizard.

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Or for a more modern example along the same lines, this photoshop of a real lizard.

On another note, has anyone ever noticed that mammalian examples of slupasaurs fare a bit better in in believability then the reptilian kind? Like we don't bat an eye that much at dogs being used for wolves or hellhounds, or horses as unicorns or pegasi.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Al Diplodocus wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:03 pm On another note, has anyone ever noticed that mammalian examples of slupasaurs fare a bit better in in believability then the reptilian kind? Like we don't bat an eye that much at dogs being used for wolves or hellhounds, or horses as unicorns or pegasi.
It's easy to say that when 90% of them are used for creatures who look nearly the exact same as theirselves. When mammals are used for more conventional slurpasaurs, it gives about the same result as with reptiles. I even posted an example of this in the first page!

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:01 pm
Al Diplodocus wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:03 pm On another note, has anyone ever noticed that mammalian examples of slupasaurs fare a bit better in in believability then the reptilian kind? Like we don't bat an eye that much at dogs being used for wolves or hellhounds, or horses as unicorns or pegasi.
It's easy to say that when 90% of them are used for creatures who look nearly the exact same as theirselves. When mammals are used for more conventional slurpasaurs, it gives about the same result as with reptiles. I even posted an example of this in the first page!
I suppose so, but personally it wasn't as egregious or unbelievable as other examples. There is of course, The Killer Shrews too as the most famous use of mammalian slurpasaurs.

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Having trouble remembering the film but the slurpasaurs in it we're actually ostriches with some face appliances. Anyone remember what movie that was? Definitely had island in its name.