The SCP Foundation Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Gigantis
Keizer

The SCP Foundation Thread

Post by Gigantis »

Is anyone here a fan of the SCP Foundation? I've been getting more into it recently, although i'm still really only fluent on the first 999 of them. 096 is my favorite so far!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Al Diplodocus
Monarch Researcher
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Re: The SCP Foundation Thread

Post by Al Diplodocus »

Mine is 1265. It even has Baragon, seriously!
http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1265

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

SCP just feels like the quickest way to severely water down and quickly tell sporadic horror stories so that they can't be used down the line without someone saying "HEY SCP DID THIS!!!"

The fact that there's well over 1200 of these stories does not give me a good feeling about the future of storytelling.

For every horror story restricted to an SCP, it then can no longer be used or thought of anywhere else without comparisons or even in a rare situation, trademarks.

Added in 2 minutes 48 seconds:
Oh my god there's more than 6000 of them?

Rip.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Seems like a meaningless grab of every conceivable monster idea under the sun. It should focus on building up a few monsters or characters or horror stories. Not literally thousands.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gigantis
Keizer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:56 pm Seems like a meaningless grab of every conceivable monster idea under the sun. It should focus on building up a few monsters or characters or horror stories. Not literally thousands.
The "Tales" section gives some good insight to the more popular of them like 682, 106, 173 and 096 etc. And even the more obscure guys get some recognition in some posts.
Al Diplodocus wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:27 pm Mine is 1265. It even has Baragon, seriously!
http://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/scp-1265
Nice work!
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:34 pm SCP just feels like the quickest way to severely water down and quickly tell sporadic horror stories so that they can't be used down the line without someone saying "HEY SCP DID THIS!!!"

The fact that there's well over 1200 of these stories does not give me a good feeling about the future of storytelling.

For every horror story restricted to an SCP, it then can no longer be used or thought of anywhere else without comparisons or even in a rare situation, trademarks.
TBH most SCP's are super obscure and only superfans are really gonna recognize them while watching a horror movie similar to SCP-1471 or whatever. (you could argue that one in particular already happened with that Countdown movie that came out in 2019)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!