Kamen Rider

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

Kamen Rider

Post by Angilasman »

Well, between Tokushoutsu streaming the original series and Kuuga, Toku getting Agito, and Toei's own YouTube putting out the opening episodes of several series apparently to test interest... it feels like things are burgeoning on the Kanen Rider front in terms of availability in the US, but home video releases still haven't materialized.

But, you will soon be able to own a piece of Kamen Rider media in North America: the original manga is joining Seven Sea's line of classic manga hardcovers!

https://mobile.twitter.com/gomanga/stat ... 4219201538

I'm a bit if a neophyte in regards to Rider, so I'm excited!

(I'd still like some Blu-rays or even DVDs, though!)

Purzel2205
Samurai

Re: Kamen Rider

Post by Purzel2205 »

Well there are those DVDs of Kamen Rider V3 and Kamen Rider The First :p
Obviously not enough for such a big franchise
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Currently watching Agito, and I am quite liking it, even if it can be kind of meandering at times. Just a heads up though, on Amazon Prime, the subtitles stop midway through the show (episode 25). I'm now watching it with fansubs. Given how unprofessional Toku is, who knows if and when the remaining episodes will have subs up.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Purzel2205 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:54 am Well there are those DVDs of Kamen Rider V3 and Kamen Rider The First :p
I feel like the day I pull the trigger on getting the Hawaiian DVD set of V3 with its $100+ price tag is the day before it's announced for the continental US for $20.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Angilasman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:29 pm
Purzel2205 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:54 am Well there are those DVDs of Kamen Rider V3 and Kamen Rider The First :p
I feel like the day I pull the trigger on getting the Hawaiian DVD set of V3 with its $100+ price tag is the day before it's announced for the continental US for $20.
Oh...could you kindly buy it then so the rest of us don't have to wait any longer? :P ;)
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

MaxRebo320 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:31 pm Currently watching Agito, and I am quite liking it, even if it can be kind of meandering at times. Just a heads up though, on Amazon Prime, the subtitles stop midway through the show (episode 25). I'm now watching it with fansubs. Given how unprofessional Toku is, who knows if and when the remaining episodes will have subs up.
I just started Agito some days ago and am currently on episode 7. Really good show and I like how the Kaijins are able to move their mouth in this season

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Man the Ten Faced Demon is pretty wild looking in Kamen Rider Amazon.

https://youtu.be/lUIq-FIQ0oA?t=226

Okay maybe not the most practical but it makes an impact.

I kinda love how it seems like Showa Kamen Rider shows are like 'how do the viewers know this character is a bad guy?' 'Oh paint lines or paint patches on their faces!' I mean y'know the non-super mutated ones.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

I have watched 79 episodes of the original Kamen Rider on Tubi since Shout! Factory made it available last Spring. Only 19 to go!

This show is trashy, no two ways about it, but I dig it. This show is to the Ultra franchise what Gamera vs. Viras is to Destroy All Monsters, a demonstration that cheap production values and minimal creativity can produce something that resonates with kids as much as or moreso than its more expensive and ambitious competition.

The Ultraman shows have plenty of formula to them but they clearly try to introduce as many varied story ideas, locations, characters and concepts as they can, whereas Kamen Rider makes about a tenth of that effort to present different things from one episode to the next. Nearly every episode is just Shocker sending out a new cyborg monster, which proceeds to kill and/or kidnap some helpless victims until the Kamen Rider and his FBI pal Taki show up and the music kicks in as they do battle with the cyborg and Shocker’s masked goons, then they regroup and discuss what to do next as Shocker makes their next sinister move, usually kidnapping one or more of the Rider’s acquaintances to lure him out for the final showdown, which ends when a well-placed “RIDER KICK!” sends the cyborg reeling and it explodes.

There aren’t many fights that take place on sets and those that do are usually in the Shocker base. Most of the fights are shot on location around the Japanese countryside in quarries, at houses, on bridges and on hillsides. The very sparse special effects shots are poorly edited and often bizarre, like an unraveling necklace meant to represent a melting person. Shocker’s cyborg monsters look like Halloween costumes and every single one of them had its voice actor record sound bytes of themselves going “AGH-AGH-AGH!” or ”EEE-EEE-EEE! or other vocalizations that get stuttered and repeated endlessly with an echo whenever the cyborg is in action onscreen. Shocker’s goons also all have the same high-pitched “EEEEEEEE!” dubbed over them constantly.

It may be pure junk food but it’s a fun show to watch. Akiji Kobayashi, who played SSSP Captain Muramatsu in the original Ultraman, is also part of the main cast here as Tobei Tachibana, head of the Tachibana Racing Club and a mentor to the Kamen Rider. Hideyo Amamoto shows up midway through the series as a new Shocker general named Doctor Death and he hams it up in the role. Shunsuke Kikuchi provides the music and it sounds similar in style to his score for Gamera vs. Zigra.

I watched all 49 episodes of Kamen Rider Kuuga last Summer. It’s awesome! Even though it’s from the year 2000, the episodes are heavily serialized and it was shot in widescreen so it seems like a show that was made in the streaming era. It’s a very inspired series that reimagines the Kamen Rider concept from the ground up while staying true to the classic aesthetics, even featuring adaptations of a few of the original show’s monsters. The characters are delightful and it’s fun to see them unravel the mystery of everything that’s happening as Japan is plagued by unidentified lifeforms. I really like how organically Kuuga’s various powers and upgrades are incorporated into the proceedings. While watching the show, it struck me that this was the series that TPC was trying to emulate when they forced Ultraman Nexus to revamp midway through its run.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Happy 50th Anniversary to Kamen Rider! :)

Also, Hideaki Anno is on a roll!
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I find it weird how none of the anniversary projects actually come out this year.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Wow! Yes, please.

The announcement of "Kamen Rider Black" bring rebooted as an adult oriented series is also awesome. Hope this stuff becomes available to us legallya

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

One demand for Shin Kamen Rider: please have him open his mouth at least once.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

G-Matt wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:34 am Happy 50th Anniversary to Kamen Rider! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkxsTkuLQP0
The link is dead.
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

And TokuShoutsu will air Ryuki and Zero One - and Zero One will be the first physical home video release via Shout Factory!

I'm not really interested in that series, but I'll buy it because you know their testing the waters (and I want Kuuga, Black, and a few others for sure!).

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Maybe Anno could one day cooperate with Sunrise and produce a Shin Gundam.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:32 pm
G-Matt wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:34 am Happy 50th Anniversary to Kamen Rider! :)

The link is dead.
Huh..? It's working for me.

How about this:
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

G-Matt wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:06 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:32 pm

The link is dead.
Huh..? It's working for me.

How about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE-Obf5PlWY
Could that be Kamen Rider's design in the film?
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I'm overly excited at a reboot of Kamen Rider Black. Since Black is *STILL* the best KR series ever. Go ahead, shoot me.

As for Shin Kamen Rider... Yeaaah. We got that already lol.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I might have asked this before, but where should I begin? Ive never watched Kamen Rider. Should I just start with the first series?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.