Kaiju Design Appreciation Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
goji89
Sazer

Re: Kaiju Design Appreciation Thread

Post by goji89 »

Jermobooka wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:17 pm
goji89 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:49 pm Gigan and Megalon the two best Showa designs that ever graced Toho studios.
Wow, even better than BioGoji? ;)
I said Showa you heathen.

Biogoji is the best Kaiju design to grace this miserable planet and universe.

Added in 33 seconds:
Voyager wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:17 pm
goji89 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:49 pm Gigan and Megalon the two best Showa designs that ever graced Toho studios.
I actually somewhat agree here. I’d also add Rodan 56, MosuGoji, Showa Ghidorah (64-68 only), and MG75.
Not gonna disagree

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

goji89 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:13 pm
Jermobooka wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:17 pm
Wow, even better than BioGoji? ;)
I said Showa you heathen.

Biogoji is the best Kaiju design to grace this miserable planet and universe.
So the gold standard for kaiju design is overweight lumps of cat flesh? I would've never guessed that.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Zomm from Giantkiller.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

^
Also from Giantkiller, Rroar.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Suika-Idom, from Giant Robot Mikazuki

KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:43 pm Suika-Idom, from Giant Robot Mikazuki

Ooooh, a man of taste.

Imagine Darth Vader. As a Jaeger. And this is SATAN GORTH from Juspion. And this his true, Lovecraftian form!

https://metalheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Satan_Gorth

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Wow, this thread's been dormant for that long? At this point, it might as well be extinct!

Speaking of extinct, I just found about a new kaiju novel today. Titled Paleozoic Monster Attack, it revolves around 20 kaiju derived from real-life prehistoric species, whether they be dinosaurs, Permian stem-mammals, or even the very animals that humans co-existed with during our infancy. The designs of these yet-unnamed creatures are... interesting, but there are some I genuinely like. Those being:

Monster #3: A Quetzalcoatlus descendant that reminds me of something from that turn-based RPG/park simulator thing Jurassic World put out a while back.

Monster #6: Definitely a Gamera pastiche, although one of the better I've seen. I like the organic plane wings.

Monster #9: Three multiples of three, wow! Anyways, this one's derived from Spinosaurus and it gives me late-Showa Ultraman MOTW vibes.

And finally, there's this Tetrapodophis descendant. Pretty unfortunate choice, considering I'm pretty sure that got debunked as a misidentification of something else.

To see the rest of these bizarre kaiju (as well as possibly be the one to name them, click the remainder of this sentence. I know that seems kinda untrustworthy but I swear it isn't a virus.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:18 pm Monster #6: Definitely a Gamera pastiche, although one of the better I've seen. I like the organic plane wings.
It's a Gamera pastiche for a reason.

Sinemys Gamera. It's a real creature named after the character.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I like the Deinocheirus hands on the Spinosaur one.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Reviving this thread with Hoshikuzu from the newly-announced HOSHI 35!

Gojira 41mk11
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojira 41mk11 »

All of the Idea Monsters from Giant Robot Mikazuki(not counting the house). Suika Idom was already mentioned in this thread, but I think the other three, Doa Idom, Fuurin Idom, and Gyleek Idom, are pretty great too. Unfortunately I can’t send images yet, and much more unfortunate is the fact that there’s barely any documentation of the Idea Monsters online. But even if it’s hard for me to actually share their designs, I’ll take any excuse to bring up this show.

Doa Idom is an avian flesh door. I’m really not sure how to summarize it other than that. It starts out as a set of doors, then it grows a frame of grey skin. On the top the body, neck, head, tail, and wings(?) of a dragon form, and claws appear on the bottom of the sides. The head has sorta a beak and white eyes with no pupils, and the tail has a mace on the end. If you go to Google Images there’s images of it in vinyl form, but no screenshots. Hopefully the screenshots I posted to Deviantart start showing up in searches (This does not mean searching Doa Idom on Deviantart is a good idea).

Fuurin Idom is an eldritch horror wind chime. Starts off as a Japanese wind chime, then shatters to reform as a 300-foot monster. It has three segments, each getting progressively smaller as they get higher up. The bottom has a massive tentacle coming from the front and dozens of spider-like legs descending from below. The middle has thin arms on each side and a large opening in the front. Finally, the top is its head. It has fangs, a sharp nose jutting out, and twin crests. What really sells this design for me is the shots of it (especially its numerous legs) slowly hovering over things and completely dwarfing them. Same goes for Fuurin Idom as does for Doa Idom.

Gyleek Idom is a reptilian retrosaur-esque monster. Starts off as an egg, breaks open to release a still-forming biped. It has jagged growths jutting from each shoulder, rows of spikes on the back, twin horns pointing backwards out of the head, a very small horn on the end of the snout, etc. It also has similar eyes to Doa Idom, except more orange in hue. It sounds pretty generic being described, but the suit is really cool looking and well made. If only this show had a 4K release. Anyway, Gyleek Idom does not appear even as a vinyl in Google Image results.

TL;DR: Watch Giant Robot Mikazuki… or at least skim through episodes 2, 3, and 4.