What monster movie are you currently watching?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
H-Man
G-Grasper

Re: What monster movie are you currently watching?

Post by H-Man »

Wild Zero (1999) - While Versus may have been the father of the low-budget ohtaku-wank films made during the late 2000s and early 2010s, this comes close to being the grandfather. A high-concept film if I've ever seen one, the plot can be summed up with: "Japanese punk band Guitar Wolf fights against an army of zombies raised by invading aliens while teaching their biggest fan that love is fluid." If you roll your eyes at that, than the film is not for you. I thought it was very entertaining, although it needed to be a bit tighter on the editing. Beyond that, there are lots of exploding heads, gut eating, guitar picks used as shurikens, a female arms dealer who's good with her wares (the guns that is), and a compelling love story that has a lot of relevance in today's social climate. And then it goes completely bonkers at the climax. Recommended.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I watched the following movies over the weekend under the theme of kaiju/giant monsters on the loose:

Friday:

'King Kong' 33
'King Kong' 76
'Kong: Skull Island'

Saturday:

'Godzilla: King Of The Monsters' 56
'Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla'
'Godzilla vs. Biollante'
'Godzilla 2000'
'Godzilla: King Of The Monsters' 2019

Sunday:

'Tarantula'
'Frankenstein Conquers The World'
'Gamera: Guardian Of The Universe'
'Rampage'

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I saw The Werewolf last night. Like The Vampire, another film I like, it takes a scientific approach to the titular monster. It also does an excellent job of making our unfortunate lycanthrope sympathetic, as well as the heroic sheriff torn between helping or killing a man who poses a danger. Overall, it's a good film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I watched the following movies over the weekend with the marathon themes this time being 'A Nightmare On Elm Street' (Friday), 'Friday The 13th' (Saturday), and 90s and 2010s takes on old classics:

'A Nightmare On Elm Street' 84
'A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge'
'A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master'
'Wes Craven's New Nightmare'

First 4 'Friday The 13th' films

'Bram Stoker's Dracula'
'The Wolf Man' 2010
'The Shape Of Water'

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I saw Horror Express yesterday. It's a good piece of sci-fi/horror, like a cross between Dr. Who and a horror film. It also features the acting talents of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, who frequently starred together in these types of films. I highly recommend the film if you can see it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

edgaguirus wrote:I saw Horror Express yesterday. It's a good piece of sci-fi/horror, like a cross between Dr. Who and a horror film. It also features the acting talents of Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing, who frequently starred together in these types of films. I highly recommend the film if you can see it.
Great film. One reviewer said it was a more faithful adaptation of "Who Goes There?" than the 1951 Thing from Another World.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I just watched an Aussie killer animal movie, Razorback.

I wasn't expecting an obscure monster movie from the 80's to have such amazing cinematography, that's for sure.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

My marathon last night was a Halloween triple feature consisting of 'Halloween' 1 and 2 (the originals, not the Rob Zombie dumpster fires) and 'Trick 'r Treat'. The first two are the only 'Halloween' films I typically gravitate towards, and as I typed in the 'Kaiju Fan Confessions' thread, I like the last the best out of Michael Dougherty's three directorial movies (as much as I love 'G: KOTM'). For tonight my marathon theme is hammer time with the following movies:

'The Curse Of Frankenstein'
'The Mummy'
'The Curse Of The Werewolf'
'Horror Of Dracula'
'Dracula Has Risen From The Grave'

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

The Wolf of Snow Hollow

I was so excited to see a new Werewolf movie come out. I watched it and besides the main character always yelling which did make me cringe it was pretty enjoyable.... that is until the final 10 minutes. Some actually may enjoy the ending it just kind of took me out of the movie.

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

Goke the body snatcher from hell, before that the original Night Stalker and the Exorcist.

I'm still watching Goke, but damn, I wish this crew had worked for Toho after they made this.
Last edited by m0nster01 on Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I viewed House of Dark Shadows. I haven't seen soap opera it's based on, and I have no interest in that kind of show, but it's a good movie. Barnabas Collins is a menacing character, but has moments when real humanity shows. The atmosphere and lighting create an effectively creepy and gothic feel. My only complaint would be the old age makeup. It looks more like a mask than an old man.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Binging Tremors, got the movie set and Universal put the entire TV series on youtube for free.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

As I've typed before, I consider the Classic Universal Monster series to Halloween what 'It's A Wonderful Life' is to Christmas. So with that in mind, I'll be watching the following movies in the series between now and Saturday:

Tonight:

'Dracula'
'Frankenstein'
'The Mummy'
'The Wolf Man'
'The Creature From The Black Lagoon'

Friday:

'Dracula' (Spanish version)
'The Invisible Man'
'Bride Of Frankenstein'
'Son Of Frankenstein'
'The Mummy's Hand'

Halloween:

'The Mummy's Tomb'
'Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man'
'The House Of Frankenstein'
'Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein'
'Revenge Of The Creature'

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The horror host, Svengoolie will be showing Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man on Saturday.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Current events have been so stressful I haven't enjoyed as many horror films during the the Halloween season as is usual. Still, I watched about a dozen, many new-to-me. The revelation was One Cut of the Dead - yes, it's as good as everyone says.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

So, uh... just saw Ginger Snaps for the first time.

An American Werewolf in London was dethroned this morning. Ginger Snaps is now my pick for "best werewolf movie."
Last edited by Spuro on Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ I also watched Ginger Snaps! I knew about it around the time I was in middle school back when it was a pretty recent film - only took me 18 years to actually get to it. Really enjoyed it, but kinda sad I didn't watch it back then, as it's a perfect teen movie.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:So, uh... just saw Ginger Snaps for the first time.

An American Werewolf in London was dethroned this morning. Ginger Snaps is now my pick for "best werewolf movie."
I love Ginger Snaps! For me, "best werwolf movie" is really a 5-way tie, among Werewolf of London, The Wolfman, An American Werewolf in London, The Howling and Ginger Snaps. Each has its own distinct take on the drama and the mythology, coupled with really strong filmmaking overall.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Watched the 1988 film Invasion Earth: The Aliens are Here!, about a bunch of aliens who show up at a theater doing an old sci-fi movie marathon and start putting their scheme into operation. The film was directed by a member of James Cameron's special FX team, which goes to show that FX men do not necessarily make the best directors. Mainly notable for having clips and trailers from a couple of dozen old movies. Early scenes in which the characters' actions parallel what's going on in the movies are clever, but by the end of the first half hour, the film is content to show trailers for different films cut together. You'll get more out of Fantastic Dinosaurs of the Movies than you'll get from this.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Even though Godzilla's birthday will be rendered trivial by the election, I still plan to celebrate it with 'Gojira' tomorrow.