What monster movie are you currently watching?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: What monster movie are you currently watching?

Post by edgaguirus »

As will I. I even sang happy birthday to the king when he first appears over the hill.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Being a certain would be ominous date, I'll be watching the first 'Friday The 13th' tonight with the Doctor Wolfula commentary:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zMJGSqT52tQ&t=2s
Last edited by Leviarex on Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I've been watching some of Toho's solo monster films, and I saw Mothra last night. It's a great film, has a talented cast, and a fine music score.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Last edited by tbeasley on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Being its 30th anniversary, I'm gonna watch 'Predator 2' tonight.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I watched the 'MST3K' version of Gamera's first movie last night seeing as how it was his 55th birthday. Weird that my G-Fan calendar doesn't mention the 27th as such.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Got into my own brand of christmas spirit earlier this week with 'The Thing' and 'Gremlins'. The former is more appropriate for christmas time than most would care to admit seeing as how it's not only set in one of the snowiest places on earth, but also takes place during the "first goddamn week of winter" or the week of December 21st. And one thing that makes the latter unique among christmas films is how it has a christmas hating character who's not a Scroogesque antagonist that explicitly changes her mind by the film's end.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

My family and I sat down to watch Godzilla (1998) the other day. Susan enjoys the action and humor. My wife thinks the Japanese movies are better and feels that those dastardly Americans should stay away from cinematic properties that aren't theirs. She also called BS on the fact that Godzilla is a metaphor for the A-Bomb, but the Americans for their incarnation turn around and blame the French. This coming from a person who has only seen a handful of Godzilla movies.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Last edited by tbeasley on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I watched Night of the Living Dead 1968. The ghouls, or zombies, depending on what you call them, are creepy, but the human drama is what really drives this movie. The conflict between the two men does a good job of creating interest when the living dead aren't seen. That little girl, however, wins for the creep factor.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

The theme for my annual New Year's Eve marathon tonight will be 'B&W 50s Monster Movies' consisting of the following films:

'Gojira'
'THEM!'
'Creature From The Black Lagoon'
'The Thing From Another World'
'It Came From Beneath The Sea'
Last edited by Leviarex on Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Saw the tail end of Son of Godzilla, saw Destroy All Monsters, and Godzilla vs Megalon is starting.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

My first movie of the year was Universal's Dracula. Bela Lugosi's voice and eyes really sell the menace of the vampire count. All that I wonder about is why there are armadillos in central Europe?

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

Cemetery Gates. It’s a b-movie about a mutant Tasmanian devil. It’s not good per se, but it’s entertaining.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Al Diplodocus
Interpol Agent
Location: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, and occasionally Brossard, Quebec and Chicago, Illinois

Post by Al Diplodocus »

edgaguirus wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:21 pm My first movie of the year was Universal's Dracula. Bela Lugosi's voice and eyes really sell the menace of the vampire count. All that I wonder about is why there are armadillos in central Europe?
Because regular rats aren't creepy enough, apparently. Also, there is a Spanish version which uses rats, likely because if you spoke spanish in the US at the time, you'd be very familiar with armadillos and would not find them so, just nuisances.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Last night I saw From Hell it Came. Is it a bad movie? Yes. Is it entertaining? Also yes. The acting and dialogue could be better, but it's a nice little film with a memorable tree monster.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:53 pm Last night I saw From Hell it Came. Is it a bad movie? Yes. Is it entertaining? Also yes. The acting and dialogue could be better, but it's a nice little film with a memorable tree monster.
I had a paperback book once called Horrors from Screen to Scream (or maybe it was the other way around; I don't know which) and the review for From Hell It Came started like this: "And to Hell it can go." Pretty funny, huh?

Btw, have you seen the other bad tree monster film, The Navy vs. the Night Monsters?

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:40 pm
edgaguirus wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:53 pm Last night I saw From Hell it Came. Is it a bad movie? Yes. Is it entertaining? Also yes. The acting and dialogue could be better, but it's a nice little film with a memorable tree monster.
I had a paperback book once called Horrors from Screen to Scream (or maybe it was the other way around; I don't know which) and the review for From Hell It Came started like this: "And to Hell it can go." Pretty funny, huh?

Btw, have you seen the other bad tree monster film, The Navy vs. the Night Monsters?
Isn't there like a third bad tree monster film in the form of Maneater at Hydra?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

H-Man wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:22 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:40 pm

Isn't there like a third bad tree monster film in the form of Maneater at Hydra?
Yes, there is, but it's called Maneater of Hydra.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

mikelcho wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:47 pm
H-Man wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:22 pm
mikelcho wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:40 pm I had a paperback book once called Horrors from Screen to Scream (or maybe it was the other way around; I don't know which) and the review for From Hell It Came started like this: "And to Hell it can go." Pretty funny, huh?

Yes, there is, but it's called Maneater of Hydra.
I stand corrected. I must now watch The Revenge of Doctor X (aka Venus Flytrap aka Body of the Prey)) thrice for erroneously switching the preposition!