What monster movie are you currently watching?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Monster X
G-Force Personnel

What monster movie are you currently watching?

Post by Monster X »

While we’ve got threads for more specific stuff, I just thought it would bar good to have a thread what ever we are watching at the time.

Case in point I’m currently watching Triassic Attack. This is an old Syfy channel movie I had to get from abroad. I soon realised why when the dinosaurs roared. They used Jurassic Park sound effects and I’m willing to bet they didn’t pay for them.

The gist is that some dinosaur bones are brought to life by an anger Native American to get back at s guy he and his people sold there land to.

The CGI is pretty indicative of the total rubbish they now put out, though the acting and cinematography are a bit more professional. Unlike the “trying to be so bad it’s good but it’s just bad” stuff of today. I think this film must have been made right on the edge of the abyss.

Again I point out, bones brought back to life. Yep, they could be extra cheap on this one as they have skeletons running around killing people.

I’m something of a collector of animal attack movies. I’ve watched the common to the obscure. I really only draw the line at the most modern syfy channel and asylum stuff, pretty much mega shark vs giant octopus onward with a few exceptions like this film.
Last edited by Monster X on Wed May 08, 2019 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Re: What are you currently watching?

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Interesting idea, but shouldn't be in the Media Center section instead of the Monster Manor?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Interesting idea, but shouldn't be in the Media Center section instead of the Monster Manor?
Ah, good point. I’m shore the site staff will move it. If not I’ll ask them.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Monster X wrote:While we’ve got threads for more specific stuff, I just thought it would bar good to have a thread what ever we are watching at the time.

Case in point I’m currently watching Triassic Attack. This is an old Syfy channel movie I had to get from abroad. I soon realised why when the dinosaurs roared. They used Jurassic Park sound effects and I’m willing to bet they didn’t pay for them.

The gist is that some dinosaur bones are brought to life by an anger Native American to get back at s guy he and his people sold there land to.

The CGI is pretty indicative of the total rubbish they now put out, though the acting and cinematography are a bit more professional. Unlike the “trying to be so bad it’s good but it’s just bad” stuff of today. I think this film must have been made right on the edge of the abyss.

Again I point out, bones brought back to life. Yep, they could be extra cheap on this one as they have skeletons running around killing people.
And it's got Emilia Clarke before she made it big with Game of Thrones.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

comment deleted.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue May 07, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Interesting idea, but shouldn't be in the Media Center section instead of the Monster Manor?
Not if you keep it to what monster movies are you watching.
Since they just came in the mail a couple days ago, it's Beast from 20,000 Fathoms and The Giant Behemoth for me (Gorgo hasn't shipped yet). Oh and I caught some of Predator 2 on tv yesterday.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Vakanai wrote:
Not if you keep it to what monster movies are you watching.
Since they just came in the mail a couple days ago, it's Beast from 20,000 Fathoms and The Giant Behemoth for me (Gorgo hasn't shipped yet). Oh and I caught some of Predator 2 on tv yesterday.
A very good idea. Also some pretty great monster movies right there
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: And it's got Emilia Clarke before she made it big with Game of Thrones.
Never actually watched GoT so I didn’t notice. Nice catch.

Added in 7 hours 26 minutes 51 seconds:
Re: What monster movie are you currently watching?
With Crawl on the way and all my talk of Croc movies I find myself in the mood to watch a few. Decided to watch Dinocroc first as it’s been a while.

Basically a corporation clone the thing because it possess unique growth hormones that allow it to reach adulting hood in a matter of weeks. They call it a Suchomimus, but it looks more like a big bipedal Crocodile. Interesting they clone two of them and the one kills the other, much like a certain I. Rex.

This film is very unlike modern dvd creature features. I mean the CGI is bad and it’s not winning any awards, but at least the film looks competently made. The camera work, sets and acting make it look like a masterpiece compared to say Lake Placid 4, Sharktopus and Even Triassic Attack.
Last edited by Monster X on Wed May 08, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I last watched Creature from the Black Lagoon. It's a favorite of mine, has a good monster suit, and the actors give fine performances. The music score can get repetitive, but it's a good movie. I plan to view the entire trilogy of Creature films, so Revenge of the Creature is next.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote:I last watched Creature from the Black Lagoon. It's a favorite of mine, has a good monster suit, and the actors give fine performances. The music score can get repetitive, but it's a good movie. I plan to view the entire trilogy of Creature films, so Revenge of the Creature is next.
I have loved the original since I was a kid, but I developed a whole new appreciation when I saw it in 3D on the big screen a few years back. That was a great experience. The underwater scenes in particular were so vivid!

I've never been all that into the sequels. They're passable entertainment, but fall so far short of the original.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Would Overlord technically count?

Otherwise if not guess Kong: Skull Island which was last month having finished up my King Kong marathon.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Watched 'Rodan' a little while ago on top of watching 'Gojira' and 'Godzilla: King Of The Monsters' (1956) last Friday night. This is all part of a month long marathon of some of the Toho movies featuring the big four (along with the two Monsterverse films) in preparation for 'G: KOTM'. And I'll be continuing it tomorrow night with 'Mothra vs. Godzilla' and 'Ghidrah: The Three Headed Monster'.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:having finished up my King Kong marathon.
What did you think of King Kong Lives?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:What did you think of King Kong Lives?
Enjoy it.

Its a dumb fun monster romp.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

eabaker wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:I last watched Creature from the Black Lagoon. It's a favorite of mine, has a good monster suit, and the actors give fine performances. The music score can get repetitive, but it's a good movie. I plan to view the entire trilogy of Creature films, so Revenge of the Creature is next.
I have loved the original since I was a kid, but I developed a whole new appreciation when I saw it in 3D on the big screen a few years back. That was a great experience. The underwater scenes in particular were so vivid!

I've never been all that into the sequels. They're passable entertainment, but fall so far short of the original.
Revenge isn't a bad film. It's, as you say, entertaining, but definately not the same quality as the first. The Creature Walks among Us, though, is the least of the three films. It spends too much time on the human drama of the story, and the Gillman seems like a secondary character in his own film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Revenge isn't a bad film. It's, as you say, entertaining, but definately not the same quality as the first. The Creature Walks among Us, though, is the least of the three films. It spends too much time on the human drama of the story, and the Gillman seems like a secondary character in his own film.
It's been a long, long time since I watched The Creature Walks Among Us. I know when I first saw it, as a kid, I liked it better than Revenge because it felt like it had a bit more of a unique story to tell. But then, the couple of subsequent times that I've seen it, it's just not held my interest very well. I've been meaning to give it a re-watch for awhile.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Watched 'Rebirth Of Mothra III' earlier this evening as part of my month long preparatory marathon (which will continue tomorrow night with 'Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah' and 'Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II'), and looking at Grand Ghidorah, I can't help but think he had to have partly influenced Monsterverse Ghidorah's design, especially with those mace ended tails.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Oh yeah looking at my Bandai vinyls their tail tips are almost identical. No doubt they looked to past Ghidorah designs for inspiration.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I saw MST3K's presentation of The Projected Man. It's an interesting film and has some good characters, but the villain's motives are never fully explained. Did Blanchard plan to steal the technology for his own, or was their some other plan? It's never quite detailed. Either way, it takes the cliché idea of an experiment turning a man into a monster and makes a nice piece of sci fi thriller.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Last night I watched Ghidorah the Three Headed monster in anticipation for the new movie.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

I'll be concluding my preparatory marathon in a minute with 'Kong: Skull Island' and 'Godzilla' (2014) after watching 'GMK' last night. I'll save my thoughts on that particular movie for the talkback thread.