What monster movie are you currently watching?

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Re: What monster movie are you currently watching?

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Rodan's gonna air on Comet in 2 hours. Comet's on Stirr, a PlutoTV-like app that I have, so I will get to watch Rodan in full this time.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Watched the MST3K episode of 'Earth vs. The Spider' friday night. One thing that's noteworthy about that particular movie is that unlike most 50s giant monster movies, there's no explanation given as to why the titular spider (or more specifically, Tarantula as it clearly is) is so huge.
Last edited by Leviarex on Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Monster X Strikes Back: Attack the G8 Summit. I had a great laugh with this one. I’m also about to watch Daigoro vs Goliath and The Magic Serpent.
For Emperor and Empire!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I saw Bride of the Monster. I've seen Wood's Plan 9, so I wanted to see how bad this one would be. It is just as bad and laughable as Plan 9, and the quips from the MST3K crew made it funnier.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Getting into the Halloween spirit a month early:

The Black Room (2006) - Film about an amnesia victim who was found wandering around the countryside covered in blood. 15 years later, he's living in a mental institution. A doctor/pharmaceutical rep shows up at the hospital and offers him the opportunity to be a guinea pig for a memory-restoring drug. He takes it, but apparently there is no effect. But suddenly, he starts having vision of women being killed and a mud monster stalking him...

Absentia (2011) - Earlier effort from Mike Flanagan, who's gone on to Oculus, Ouija 2, and the Haunting of Hill House. A woman whose husband mysteriously disappeared is dealing with her demons as she prepares to declare him dead by absentia (re: missing for seven years or more). Her sister, a recovering smack addict, has shown up to help her through the difficult time. The story gradually (very gradually) becomes a Lovecraftian twist on "The Three Billy Goats Gruff".

Dragonwyck (1946) - This is the sort of film that Guillermo del Toro was homaging in Crimson Peak. It's got it all: poisonings! drug addiction! Murder! Ghosts! Family curses! Byronic A**holes! And it's set to the historical backdrop of the Hudson Valley Rent Wars, a little-known episode in American history in which Feudalism somehow survived up through the first half of the 1800s. Not a horror per se, but a Gothic Romance.

City of the Living Dead (1980) - A classic zombie film directed by sadistic gorehound Lucio Fulci. In the town of Dunwich, a priest hangs himself. That sort of sacrilege opens the door to hell, and the results are zombies, people puking up their entire digestive tracks, and all sorts of horrible things. Featuring a wonderfully eerie score by Fabio Frizzi.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I watched the recent Color out of Space, definitely a weird movie with some disturbing yet good effects.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Watched 'Ghidrah: The Three Headed Monster' Sunday night as part of its 55th American birthday. It's certainly noteworthy that it's the only time in the Showa series that Ghidorah causes mass destruction of his own free will.

Added in 1 day 21 hours 36 minutes 4 seconds:
For its 56th U.S. birthday, I'll be watching 'Godzilla vs. The Thing'/'Mothra vs. Godzilla' tonight. As with a lot of fans, Godzilla's emerging from the ground and his Nagoya rampage are definitely among the best scenes in the series in my book.

Added in 4 days 22 hours 34 minutes 49 seconds:
In honor of Shinji Higuchi's 55th birthday, I'll be watching 'Shin Godzilla' and 'Gamera 2: Attack Of Legion' tonight.
Last edited by Leviarex on Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Wishmaster and The Monster Project are the 2 most recent ones.

Both are great, Wishmaster is a classic and The Monster Project as I stated in another thread is basically a 2 hour episode of ''Lost Tapes''

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

(copied from my Facebook post)

So [my 12-year-old daughter] and I are doing a 31-Days, 31-Godzilla movies challenge. We'll be doing it in chronological order, so here's the first one. I chose the American version...as opposed to the Japanese version...as the pace is a bit snappier. Susan liked it; she made fun of the pensive, emotionally-detached face that Raymond Burr makes whenever he's observing...well...anything.

I like how Japan is so organized that they could have an electrical blockade set up around the coastline of Tokyo in about a day or so. If this were Brazil, that blockade wouldn't be finished until well after the events of Terror of Mechagodzilla.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A couple of days ago, I saw Universal's Dracula. Bela Lugosi gives the count a perfect balance of charm and menace, while Renfield feels genuinely insane. I love the scene where his crazed expression and laugh causes the maid to faint.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Not movies but me and my dad have been making our way through Kolchak and its early 2000s reboot The Night Stalker.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

The anime BIO-HUNTER .
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Weird movie. I've only really seen the end but it made little sense to me.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Weird movie. I've only really seen the end but it made little sense to me.
Check out the whole thing. I think it may even be available on YouTube.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

In keeping my October marathons tradition alive, I watched the following movies over the weekend and last night with the themes being the 80s (Friday and Saturday), 70s (Sunday), and 50s (last night):

'Ghostbusters'
'Pumpkinhead'
'Fright Night'
'Return Of The Living Dead'
'Legend'

'The Thing'
'Little Shop Of Horrors' (Director's Cut)
'The Fly'
'The Monster Squad'

'When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth'
'The Texas Chainsaw Massacre'
'Young Frankenstein'

'THEM!'
'The Blob'
'The Land Unknown'

Added in 6 days 7 hours 51 minutes 29 seconds:
Watched the following movies over the weekend with the marathon themes being Ray Harryhausen (Friday), Aliens and Predators (Saturday), and Werewolves (last night):

'The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms'
'20 Million Miles To Earth'
'The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad'
'Jason and the Argonauts'
'Clash Of The Titans'

'Alien'
'Predator'
'Alien vs. Predator'

'The Howling'
'An American Werewolf In London'
'The Werewolf Of Fever Swamp'
Last edited by Leviarex on Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Junk (Japan, 2000) - An American military experiment in Japan to test a chemical, DNX, which is meant to revive the dead, is successful. Unfortunately, the test subject (a naked woman) becomes a flesh-eating monster. While the army is scrambling to find the Japanese doctor who was involved in the initial research, a quartet of bank robbers arranges to have some Yakuza meet them at an abandoned factory so they can sell the stolen goods. Of course, the factory is actually the lab, so it isn't long before everybody is fighting against the zombies while the American military does its best to blow the place up.

The movie feels like a homage to Re-Animator and Return of the Living Dead, while some of the plot structure is similar to that same year's Versus (i.e. a motley group of criminals meets up with a better-armed group of criminals at an isolated place where the dead happen to be roaming around). Unfortunately, this film doesn't respect it's own internal logic and the rules considering the use of DNX and how zombies function are a bit blurry here. On the plus side, there is a lot of practical effects for the gore and it feels like a real movie more than some of the Sushi Typhoon-era fan-wank films. But then again, the guy playing the doctor has some really bad English and you'll need subtitles to understand what he's saying half the time. But at the same time, the lead zombie is pretty cute and spends much of the film naked, until she puts on tight black leather and starts doing back flips and stuff. It's a fun movie as long as you don't think about it for more than a few seconds.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I saw Cry of the Werewolf last night. It's a pretty good movie, and mixes Voodoo with the werewolf threat. The only thing that fails here is trying to make the Gypsy princess sympathetic. She works best as a menacing and manipulative villain.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Every October, I make sure to watch Horror movies I've never seen before to widen my base of experience with the genre.

So far I've watched:

Willard (original) = I've known of this film for decades, but always avoided it. Why? Because I am absolutely, completely, and 100% terrified of rats. It is a phobia I've had as far back as I can remember. I have seen all that there is to see in Horror, but show me a rat, and I immediately get uncomfortable. Well, this year I finally decided to try it out, just to see how long I could last. Fortunately, I was able to watch the whole movie, but not after gagging and retching a couple of times. Yeah, if you don't like rats, this movie is basically hell on film. Its still a good movie that builds its tension well, but I don't think I'll be giving this one a 2nd viewing anytime soon.

Oh and there's a sequel too that focuses on the lead bad-rat Ben...yeah no thanks.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust = 20 years ago, somebody told me this movie was coming out and I was like "Cool! I want to see another VHD movie!". 20 years later and I still hadn't seen it! Well, I rectified that this year and finally checked it out. I love the original film, so I was curious to see what a second film could do, and thankfully, I really enjoyed it. The animation is gorgeous, as expected, and the story once again captures the feel of a spaghetti western but with horror elements thrown in. One major plus here is that unlike the first movie, where the vampires and their servants were largely just purely evil beings, here they are a bit more three dimension and even tragic in some instances. It makes D's decisions a bit tougher on how to deal with them and it makes for another well animated and exciting experience.

Relic = This is a movie that came out this year and I decided to check it out after seeing Redlettermedia's recommendation for it. This one seems to have a split where some people like it for its atmosphere and creepy mood, while others hate it for being too slow and uneventful. I found myself more in the middle. Like The Babadook, which was largely an allegory for dealing with depression, this movie uses its spookiness to basically tackle the idea of getting older and falling into dementia. It is handled fairly well, but I do wish that more happened along the way. It comes through overall though, but I would have liked a little bit more.

The Body Snatcher = This old RKO film starring Boris Karloff is one that always escaped me, but I finally checked it off my list. My biggest disappointment with the movie is Bela Lugosi in a supporting role, who is so subdued and unassuming, I almost forgot it was him. Sharing the screen with Karloff, you'd think they'd capture some of that magic they had together in The Black Cat. Other than that though, I really enjoyed the film. The 1830s setting is perfect for its creepy story, and Karloff is absolutely wonderful here as the mysterious and creepy Body Snatcher, easily one of his finest performances. Its an oldie, but a goodie.

3 From Hell = The 3rd entry for the Firefly family of Rob Zombie's series of films was sadly lacking. Granted, I was never the biggest fan of House of a 1000 Corpses, but I liked the characters, and Devil's Rejects proved to be a pretty darn good sequel that surpassed what came before. Sadly what we get here is kind of a dull mess. The biggest void is left by the late Sid Haig, whose health had really deteriorated by this point, forcing him to take a very small role here, and the rest of the movie just couldn't work without him. I like Sherri Moon Zombie's performance as Baby as she gives a very Harley Quinn-esque vibe to the character, but the overall movie is dull and kind of lifeless.

Pumpkinhead = Its weird. I've seen a couple of the sequels before, but I never saw the original. Well, I changed that and I'm glad I did because I really liked it. Lance Henriksen's performance is great and help's carry what on the surface is a fairly typical creature feature/slasher type film. The creature in question is fair well realized with good camera work and nice practical effects that were all the norm back then. It was good solid fun.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GojiDog wrote:The Body Snatcher = This old RKO film starring Boris Karloff is one that always escaped me, but I finally checked it off my list. My biggest disappointment with the movie is Bela Lugosi in a supporting role, who is so subdued and unassuming, I almost forgot it was him. Sharing the screen with Karloff, you'd think they'd capture some of that magic they had together in The Black Cat. Other than that though, I really enjoyed the film. The 1830s setting is perfect for its creepy story, and Karloff is absolutely wonderful here as the mysterious and creepy Body Snatcher, easily one of his finest performances. Its an oldie, but a goodie.
Hands down my favorite Karloff performance. I love the way he gets under Henry Daniell's skin.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

More accurately, I watched this last night, but I finally got around to seeing The Human Vapor as part of my October horrorthon.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.