Force of the Trojans. Harryhausen's Unused Creatures Coming to Life

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Force of the Trojans. Harryhausen's Unused Creatures Coming to Life

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/archived- ... ssion=true
Legendary stop-motion monster maker Ray Harryhausen's creature designs will live again in a new film, his foundation announced earlier this week.

The Ray and Diana Harryhausen Foundation announced in a Facebook post Monday that they have partnered with Morningside Productions — the production company founded by late Clash of the Titans producer Charles Schneer — for Force of the Trojans, a new adventure fantasy film that will attempt to recapture the glory of classic Harryhausen films like Clash of the Titans, Jason and the Argonauts, and The 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

The film will be based on a screenplay written by Beverley Cross, and will use designs in the Harryhausen archives conceived through production art and sculptures by the master himself.

"Force of the Trojans will embody the spirit of the original Harryhausen films with all the fun, vibrant action, epic scope and dedication to craftsmanship that has made Ray Harryhausen's films timeless," the announcement read.

Harryhausen's unused designs — discovered in the foundation's 50,000-piece collection of his work — will be used in a production process that will incorporate both Harryhausen's traditional style of animation and modern CGI, merging the two forms in an attempt to hopefully create a look unlike any other film in the genre.

At the moment, Force of the Trojans is just a tentative title, and we have no other production details, so it's not clear when we might actually get to see this film. If you're a Harryhausen fan, though, this is exciting. Sometime in the very near future his legendary monsters might live on the big screen again in new and ambitious ways.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Force of the Trojans. Harryhausen's Unused Creatures Coming to Life

Post by Zarm »

This. Is. AWESOME.

More Harryhausen, and actual stop-motion being at least partly incorporated to execute it, is always welcome!
Last edited by Zarm on Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Curious to see how a stop motion/CGI hybrid would look like.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

This is really great! Now, if we could just get The War Eagles, The Elementals, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, The War of the Worlds, The Food of the Gods and Sinbad Goes to Mars made, it'd be perfect!

Maybe we could even get those TidalWave Productions comic book miniseries stories made into films as well.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:16 am, edited 5 times in total.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Awesome! :D

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Does the website also have a listing for Ray Harryhausen Presents #1? That's the only one that's missing, I think.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

mikelcho wrote:Does the website also have a listing for Ray Harryhausen Presents #1? That's the only one that's missing, I think.
https://www.comics.org/issue/396682/

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Does the website also have a listing for Ray Harryhausen Presents #1? That's the only one that's missing, I think.
https://www.comics.org/issue/396682/
Thanks a lot!

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

This is amazing news! I really didn't think anything likes this would happen. As for the Stop-motion/CGI effects, does anyone else think it would be something like Go-motion?

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

This is great news, but 'Force of the Trojans' itself is not 'new'. After the successful completion and release of Harryhausen's 'Clash of the Titans', the stop-motion master began pre-production work on his next planned feature - 'Force of the Trojans'. The story was laid out, 2D and 3D models were made of various creatures, and then - Ray Harryhausen died. So did the project. Without Harryhausen himself attached to it, no one in Hollywood - with sufficient funds - would bankroll it. A real shame...
Glad to hear that Harryhausen's final, unrealized film will be made. Stop-motion, smoothed out & sharpened by CGI, should look pretty good...
EDIT: My mistake. Harryhausen didn't DIE at that time. But stop-motion was considered passe. Modern optical effects, pioneered by the likes of George Lucas were all the rage, and no studio wanted to invest in a costly stop-motion feature any more.
Last edited by MandaSaurus on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

Zarm wrote:This. Is. AWESOME.
No. It. Is. AWESOME!

Harryhausen is one of my biggest influences thanks to how his adventure films felt. They have more character than cgi crud ever seems to be able to.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

This is great news.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I love the designs for Scylla and Charybdis. I'm looking forward to this, and hoping that it's better than the lousy Clash of the Titans remake and it's slightly-less-lousy sequel.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

H-Man wrote:I love the designs for Scylla and Charybdis. I'm looking forward to this, and hoping that it's better than the lousy Clash of the Titans remake and it's slightly-less-lousy sequel.
Uh, you ARE aware that Harryhausen was responsible for the original 1981 Clash of the Titans, NOT the CGI remake, right? :eh:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I'm actually surprised everyone is so hyped about this. Maybe I'm just a pessimist. But I foresee this being very similar to that The Thing reboot/prequel/whatever it was in 2011 where they used live action effects and ruined it with awful-looking CGI. I can't imagine this actually being faithful to Harryhausen's work in today's cinematic world.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

MandaSaurus wrote:
H-Man wrote:I love the designs for Scylla and Charybdis. I'm looking forward to this, and hoping that it's better than the lousy Clash of the Titans remake and it's slightly-less-lousy sequel.
Uh, you ARE aware that Harryhausen was responsible for the original 1981 Clash of the Titans, NOT the CGI remake, right? :eh:
Did I at any point suggest otherwise?

MechaSkeleturtle666
Samurai

Post by MechaSkeleturtle666 »

At first thought i started to drool a bit. Buuut they will surely find a way to ruin it with the cgi... -_-

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

I'm not against this, but at this point, I think the only 2 people who can make this work are Guillermo del Toro and Peter Jackson, mainly because of how much Harryhausen inspired them.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Maritonic wrote:I'm actually surprised everyone is so hyped about this. Maybe I'm just a pessimist. But I foresee this being very similar to that The Thing reboot/prequel/whatever it was in 2011 where they used live action effects and ruined it with awful-looking CGI. I can't imagine this actually being faithful to Harryhausen's work in today's cinematic world.
Actually, the film was a prequel to The Thing. Personally, I think that the title should've been The Thing: Origins, so that it could've been differentiated from the original.