Universal Monsters Series (1925-1956) Tribute Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Universal Monsters Series (1925-1956) Tribute Thread

Post by eabaker »

tbeasley wrote:Dracula, Frankenstein and The Mummy are interesting in how they're essentially this transitional form between silent and sound films. The lack of music adds to the eeriness and the pacing and staging are almost at odds with now most modern audiences expect movies to be presented.

The Invisible Man and Bride of Frankenstein on the flipside feel surprisingly modern and are wildly entertaining - James Whale was definitely the master of these movies.
Have you seen Whale's The Old Dark House? From a purely visual standpoint, it's probably my favorite Universal horror film. Whale and his Frankenstein/Invisible Man cinematographer, Arthur Edeson, really created a stunning, palpably textured atmosphere and a collection of extremely bold, evocative images, sometimes experimental images.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I have not but I've been meaning to forever now.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Ryan Gosling is developing and set to star in a new Wolfman reboot.

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/ryan ... 203426491/
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Ryan Gosling is developing and set to star in a new Wolfman reboot.

Yup, and a new director is to be named pretty soon.

Whoever is named as director, here's hoping we get a better movie than the 2010 one. I'm still holding out hope for the Craven Cut.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Ryan Gosling is developing and set to star in a new Wolfman reboot.

I actually didn't like the Wolfman 2010 at all and I especially hate the last 20 minutes or so. So I am hopeful this will be better, Ryan Gosling is plus already.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Ryan Gosling only does artsy movies, so this will hopefully be a slam-dunk.

Shout out to "Drive" and "Only God Forgives"
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I really hope they keep Tabolt looking like just a modernized version of the 30's version and not just a generic Werewolf, that be dumb.

Wonder what made them go for Wolfman first though. Yes i get that he's certainly one of the most famous Universal Monsters, but didn't they still have those Creature From the Black Lagoon and Hunchback of Notre Dame reboots being worked on?
Last edited by Gigantis on Fri May 29, 2020 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Well they got Invisible Man right, so that's a step in the right direction.

Hopefully The Wolfman turns out well.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Well apparently Gosling himself approached Universal. It was his pitch.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Really excited for the Wolfman hopefully Creature from the Black Lagoon follows shortly after that. Maybe they can finally get The Dark Universe back on track.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

gvamp wrote:Really excited for the Wolfman hopefully Creature from the Black Lagoon follows shortly after that. Maybe they can finally get The Dark Universe back on track.
Eh, Dark Universe was the shared universe concept, I don't think you can call this that. Haven't watched the new Invisible Man yet, did they market it as Dark Universe? If not, I think the Dark Universe is dead. Now they're just doing unconnected monster movies, which in my opinion is good.

Anyway, I love the Wolf Man and apparently was one of the rare few who liked the 2010 film. I think he should be easier to get right than Dracula or Frankenstein right now.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote:Haven't watched the new Invisible Man yet, did they market it as Dark Universe?
I haven't seen it yet but i have heard nothing that said it was marketing a new cinematic universe so i'm assuming they're just doing an anthology series.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Vakanai wrote: Haven't watched the new Invisible Man yet, did they market it as Dark Universe? If not, I think the Dark Universe is dead.

They did not and it is. Universal has other projects in the work but none of them are part of one cinematic universe yet (only thing close being some Monster Mash style movie called Dark Army by Paul Feige)

RIP Evan.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote:Haven't watched the new Invisible Man yet, did they market it as Dark Universe?
I haven't seen it yet but i have heard nothing that said it was marketing a new cinematic universe so i'm assuming they're just doing an anthology series.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Haven't watched the new Invisible Man yet, did they market it as Dark Universe? If not, I think the Dark Universe is dead.

They did not and it is. Universal has other projects in the work but none of them are part of one cinematic universe yet (only thing close being some Monster Mash style movie called Dark Army by Paul Feige)
So then we should all stop referring to these movies as the Dark Universe - that seems to be dead. And not the fun monstery kind of dead either, just dead dead.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

To paraphrase Frankenstein’s monster, “it belongs dead.”
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Well apparently Gosling himself approached Universal. It was his pitch.

Gosling directed a film a couple of years ago that was so weird and violent. Behind those movie star good looks he's got the makings of a great cult filmmaker! The Wolfman has long been one of my favorites, so I hope it turns out well!

The director of Jennifer's Body is still attached to their new Dracula, right? It almost feels weird to be excited about these. I love the classic Universal monsters to death, but none of their plans to revive the characters during my lifetime have struck me as very appealing. Happy to see the tide turning.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Angilasman wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Well apparently Gosling himself approached Universal. It was his pitch.

Gosling directed a film a couple of years ago that was so weird and violent. Behind those movie star good looks he's got the makings of a great cult filmmaker! The Wolfman has long been one of my favorites, so I hope it turns out well!
What movie was it? I wasn't even aware he directs.
The director of Jennifer's Body is still attached to their new Dracula, right? It almost feels weird to be excited about these. I love the classic Universal monsters to death, but none of their plans to revive the characters during my lifetime have struck me as very appealing. Happy to see the tide turning.
I kind of get that. I love these characters too, they're iconic for a reason. There's something appealing, tragic, charismatic, substantial, and relatable behind them that makes them kind of ageless in a way. But a lot of modern attempts to bring them back have been missteps.

1. Van Helsing was a fun, dumb, turn off your brain popcorn movie monster mash, which I quite enjoyed, but there's nothing to it beyond that.

2. I thought the Wolf Man was well made, but lacked the charm and magic of the original - personally I think having Talbot come off so dour before the curse prevented the audience from connecting with him. Lon Chaney was such a lovable doofus before he was cursed.

3. Dracula Untold - Great if you want a superhero Dracula. But if you think "superhero Dracula" misses the point of Dracula, you aren't alone.

4. Victor Frankenstein - Interesting, and not bad, but I just don't think a Frankenstein prequel and Victor/Igor origin story was ever a draw.

5. I, Frankenstein - I still don't even know what this is. Gargoyles vs demons? In a Frankenstein movie? Why?

6. The Mummy - Some good bits here, loved the female mummy she was awesome, Jekyll/Hyde stole every scene he was in (of course, Russel Crowe). But it was more worried about starting up a Dark Universe than being a good movie, which doomed both the movie and the universe.

Then there was that Dracula tv show that tried to make him the good guy too...

Oh, and the Hotel Transylvania for the kids. The most successful Dracula/Universal Monsters franchise this millennium.

Castlevania seems to be good, does that count?

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

^ I love that Universal said no to Guillermo del Toro's idea for a Creature From the Black Lagoon reboot so Guillermo just took the seed of the concept and made it an original movie and won an Academy Award! I'd like to think that Universal might have learned their lesson and the studio at present would have said yes to Guillermo?

--- edit ---

Oh, and that Gosling directed film was called... (checks Wikipedia) Lost River.
Last edited by Angilasman on Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

KManX89 wrote:

Whoever is named as director, here's hoping we get a better movie than the 2010 one. I'm still holding out hope for the Craven Cut.
I think you're confusing The Wolfman (2010) with Cursed (2005).

The 2010 film has stuff to appreciate (the fine cast, Danny Elfman's score, Rick Baker's Oscar-winning makeup design, the period setting...) but I would never say it's more than the sum of its parts, unfortunately.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

tbeasley wrote:
KManX89 wrote:

I think you're confusing The Wolfman (2010) with Cursed (2005).

The 2010 film has stuff to appreciate (the fine cast, Danny Elfman's score, Rick Baker's Oscar-winning makeup design, the period setting...) but I would never say it's more than the sum of its parts, unfortunately.
Oh, I'm aware of the two movies, that's why I named the Craven Cut because that was the version Wes Craven filmed before it was taken away from him, overhauled and butchered by the Weinsteins (they rewrote more than half the script after it was already (mostly) shot while much of what was left of Craven's footage was reshot).

Then again, werewolf movies are, in and of themselves pretty campy. There's only a handful you can say are actually worthwhile. The Howling, An American Werewolf in London and the first (few?) Underworld movie(s); other than that, yeah, it's pretty much a crapshoot, and one of these also throws vampires into the mix.

Then again, The Invisible Man does give a glimmer of hope for this one.
Last edited by KManX89 on Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"