Giant Monster Movies on Home Video

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: The List of Giant Monster Movies on Home Video

Post by JAGzilla »

Will confirm that Anaconda has a Blu-ray release; when you only listed a DVD option, that kinda rattled me, so I had to check Amazon. I knew there was no way a prominent movie like that still wouldn't be on Blu-ray.

And just for clarification, do you not know how to search Amazon for this kind of thing, mikelcho? I'm not especially tech savvy myself, so I get it, if not. Just wondering.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:35 am Will confirm that Anaconda has a Blu-ray release; when you only listed a DVD option, that kinda rattled me, so I had to check Amazon. I knew there was no way a prominent movie like that still wouldn't be on Blu-ray.

And just for clarification, do you not know how to search Amazon for this kind of thing, mikelcho? I'm not especially tech savvy myself, so I get it, if not. Just wondering.
I totally forgot about Amazon; thanks.

Mostly I did look on eBay to find out about some of them, but all I saw on there were DVD versions. The Anaconda series, though, I haven't looked for them yet.

UPDATE: I just found out the second Anaconda film is also on Blu-ray. As far as I know, the rest of them aren't.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:36 pm Well, I guess I'll just have to add these films separately, since I can't put them on the OP myself (and apparently, neither will anyone else, for that matter):

Anaconda (1997): Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

King Cobra (1999): Avaialble on DVD.

Octopus (2000): Avaiable on DVD.

Octopus II: River of Fear (2001): Available on DVD.

Komodo (2003): Available on DVD.

Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid (2004): Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Anaconda 3: Offspring (2008): Available on DVD.

Anacondas: Trail of Blood (2009): Available on DVD.

2010: Moby Dick (2010): Available on DVD (this one's hopefully going to be connected to the Mega Shark series already mentioned above all too soon if I'm not mistaken, so it still counts).

Mega Piranha (2010): Available on DVD.

Mega Python vs. Gatoroid (2011): Available on DVD.

2 Lava 2 Lantula (2017): Avaiable on DVD.

Lake Placid: Legacy (2018): Avaiable on DVD and Blu-ray.

5-Headed Shark Attack (2018): Available on DVD.

6-Headed Shark Attack (2019): Available on DVD.

Again, I'd like to have confirmation on these 15 films' availability on home video in any form as of this date.

Btw, I wonder why 4-Headed Shark Attack was never made into a film. I mean, shouldn't that be obvious?
These additions, combined with the third copy of the OP I added to, should do the trick.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Are any of the films in the above post OOP or not? I'm guessing that, except for the Anaconda films and the one Lake Placid film, they're all OOP, but I've looked and so far I can't confirm anything one way or another.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:00 pm
mikelcho wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:36 pm Well, I guess I'll just have to add these films separately, since I can't put them on the OP myself (and apparently, neither will anyone else, for that matter):

Anaconda (1997): Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

King Cobra (1999): Single-disc DVD is OOP.

Octopus (2000): Single-disc DVD is OOP.

Octopus II: River of Fear (2001): Single-disc DVD is OOP.

Komodo (2003): Single-disc DVD is OOP.

Anacondas: The Hunt for the Blood Orchid (2004): Available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Anaconda 3: Offspring (2008): Available on DVD.

Anacondas: Trail of Blood (2009): Available on DVD.

2010: Moby Dick (2010): Available on DVD (this one's hopefully going to be connected to the Mega Shark series already mentioned above all too soon if I'm not mistaken, so it still counts).

Mega Piranha (2010): Available on DVD.

Mega Python vs. Gatoroid (2011): Available on DVD.

2 Lava 2 Lantula (2017): Avaiable on DVD.

Lake Placid: Legacy (2018): Avaiable on DVD and Blu-ray.

5-Headed Shark Attack (2018): Available on DVD.

6-Headed Shark Attack (2019): Available on DVD.

Again, I'd like to have confirmation on these 15 films' availability on home video in any form as of this date.

Btw, I wonder why 4-Headed Shark Attack was never made into a film. I mean, shouldn't that be obvious?
These additions, combined with the third copy of the OP I added to, should do the trick.
Just found some that were OOP.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Would anyone object if I took my third list of revisions back on pg. 4 and my third list of additions here on pg. 5 and created an all-new list with everything in it?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:51 pm Would anyone object if I took my third list of revisions back on pg. 4 and my third list of additions here on pg. 5 and created an all-new list with everything in it?
Go for it, man. Even make a new thread if you want, I'll lock this one so you can continue the new one if you'd like.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

King Kong Lives was licensed by Shout! factory and is likely coming to blu-ray.

https://twitter.com/KaijuNewsOutlet/sta ... 6PaVihAO6A
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

UltramanGoji

Re: Giant Monster Movies on Home Video

Post by UltramanGoji »

I've been in a 50s monster movie mood and the post above made me decide to revisit this thread with something I should've thought of a long time ago: an easily editable Google Sheet document instead of me typing all those titles in the forum.

New list available here (also linked in the OP): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

I added a color legend and a list of significant releases for each movie instead of listing literally everything they're a part of (which, when it came to public domain and highly popular catalog films became really annoying).

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Bookmarked! Nice and newt and perfect.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:22 pm Bookmarked! Nice and newt and perfect.
Thanks! In retrospect I feel kind of bad for so aggressively neglecting not to update this list. It wasn't the work that was the problem, just the way I was doing it. This way is much easier and faster (and better on my fingers for typing!)

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Anyone know the 'most definitive' release of all the low budget and/or public domain movies, ala Gila Monster, etc?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:42 pm Anyone know the 'most definitive' release of all the low budget and/or public domain movies, ala Gila Monster, etc?
Retromedia put out a Blu-ray for Giant Leeches and also a nice DVD for Gila Monster, not sure for any other titles specifically, you'll have to list the ones you're looking for.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Killer Shrews, Night of Lamprety

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr. Yellow wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:32 pm Killer Shrews, Night of Lamprety
Killer Shrews is actually part of the double pack with Gila Monster, not sure what the second movie is.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Anyone care to guess what prevented Destroy All Monsters from receiving a western home video release until the late 90's?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:19 pm Anyone care to guess what prevented Destroy All Monsters from receiving a western home video release until the late 90's?
Wrong thread.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Brilliant! Only four things I saw that were wrong:

*Tentacles was released in 1977, not 1979. It was also released by Shout! Factory on Blu-ray as a double feature with Reptilicus.
*All six sequels to Tremors (1990) are missing from the list.
*Python II (2002) is also missing from the list.
*IIRC, Dinoshark was released before Dinocroc vs. Supergator in 2010.

Btw, thanks for putting my additions into the new list.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Fixed and added almost everything:
mikelcho wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:59 pm *Tentacles was also released by Shout! Factory on Blu-ray as a double feature with Reptilicus.
The individual Blu-ray release from Kino makes the double feature from Shout irrelevant. I don't list every single release, just the best ones.
mikelcho wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:59 pm *IIRC, Dinoshark was released before Dinocroc vs. Supergator in 2010.
None of the movies are put in release order, just sorted by year.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

How the heck does Tentacles have a solo release and not Reptilicus?