The Cloverfield Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Re: The Cloverfield Thread

Post by KManX89 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:02 pm With JJ having that big fat WB contract and Cloverfield having the nature it does, I do wonder could Cloverfield pop up in the Monsterverse if Godzilla vs Kong is successful and if that isn't will they keep it separate?
Unfortunately, with Cloverfield at Paramount and Godzilla/Kong at WB, there's no chance of that happening unless they strike a deal kinda like the Spider-Man deal Disney has with Sony.

The rumored Godzilla vs. Gamera film was dependent on Toho and Kadowaka signing off and it supposedly fell through when Kadowaka wanted Gamera to win.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:40 pm
Exactly, found footage is an incredibly modern usage of the whole "real life" dynamic that we almost never see in films. It's like, if Gojira 1954 happened today, in New York, how would people react? What's the first thing they'd grab? Their video cameras (or cell phones these days) and start recording of course. It threw us right into the event. It's like the entire purpose of the FF angles were made for modern kaiju flicks.
Hey yo, Logan Paul here I'm in Tokyo where this giant big Iguana is incinerating all the local targets, and. Oh my god is that the charred body of Steve Martin? bro I am not even joking. This is a first for me"

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

ROMG4 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:43 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:40 pm
Exactly, found footage is an incredibly modern usage of the whole "real life" dynamic that we almost never see in films. It's like, if Gojira 1954 happened today, in New York, how would people react? What's the first thing they'd grab? Their video cameras (or cell phones these days) and start recording of course. It threw us right into the event. It's like the entire purpose of the FF angles were made for modern kaiju flicks.
Hey yo, Logan Paul here I'm in Tokyo where this giant big Iguana is incinerating all the local targets, and. Oh my god is that the charred body of Steve Martin? bro I am not even joking. This is a first for me"
You laugh, but this honestly isn't a bad idea. I sort of glossed over it, but the way we use phones and cameras is completely different than how we use them in 2007. It's crazy to think, but Cloverfeild really was the cut off point for found footage with a basic ass camera, without a detailed explanation of why they weren't just using their phones. A not so bad idea for a sequel, if they decided to continue the FF route, would be the integration of social media and the likes during one of these events. It's the type of thing that if handled poorly (ie those darkweb/scary internet movies) will seem gimmicky and cringey. If handled well though it could be some good social satire, and allow for a ton of fun.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

but the way we use phones and cameras is completely different than how we use them in 2007.
You know I hadn't really of thought that too much, its been in the back of my head but you are totally right. Cloverfield came in at the very tailend of that early 2000s tech and found-footage style. You really couldn't have pulled it off any other time afterwards.
if they decided to continue the FF route, would be the integration of social media and the likes during one of these events. It's the type of thing that if handled poorly (ie those darkweb/scary internet movies) will seem gimmicky and cringey. If handled well though it could be some good social satire, and allow for a ton of fun.
I mean Cloverfield has always had a very prominent foot in social media I mean a major reason why this movie is even remembered is because of its excellent ARG marketing which brought all types of people on board. It was honestly one of the earliest if the not the progenitor of these big ARG crazes. Its pretty funny to think about how much its influence it has had in the year since the end of its campaign, even though the franchise itself has been dormant

But honestly I would really, REALLY, prefer "social media integration" be kept to the ARG side of things because as you've said the track record is seriously horrible for these types of things. In most cases it'll age like milk you could have a few tie-ins I suppose like how the first Clover did it but anything else, the track record is just bad. I really don't want to see phoned in reddit board conspiracy threads and all that, lol.

Because if it's done poorly the best case scenario is it feels "like how are you doing fellow kids?", worst case is it ends up being Slender Man the movie 2.0
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:47 am
You laugh, but this honestly isn't a bad idea.
Last edited by ROMG4 on Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

ROMG4 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:00 am
but the way we use phones and cameras is completely different than how we use them in 2007.
You know I hadn't really of thought that too much, its been in the back of my head but you are totally right. Cloverfield came in at the very tailend of that early 2000s tech and found-footage style. You really couldn't have pulled it off any other time afterwards.
if they decided to continue the FF route, would be the integration of social media and the likes during one of these events. It's the type of thing that if handled poorly (ie those darkweb/scary internet movies) will seem gimmicky and cringey. If handled well though it could be some good social satire, and allow for a ton of fun.
I mean Cloverfield has always had a very prominent foot in social media I mean a major reason why this movie is even remembered is because of its excellent ARG marketing which brought all types of people on board. It was honestly one of the earliest if the not the progenitor of these big ARG crazes. Its pretty funny to think about how much its influence it has had in the year since the end of its campaign, even though the franchise itself has been dormant

But honestly I would really, REALLY, prefer "social media integration" be kept to the ARG side of things because as you've said the track record is seriously horrible for these types of things. In most cases it'll age like milk you could have a few tie-ins I suppose like how the first Clover did it but anything else, the track record is just bad. I really don't want to see phoned in reddit board conspiracy threads and all that, lol.

Because if it's done poorly the best case scenario is it feels "like how are you doing fellow kids?", worst case is it ends up being Slender Man the movie 2.0
You laugh, but this honestly isn't a bad idea.
I'd be game for the military's perspective, those headcams on their helmets are wicked. Plus you could use military room cameras for like, the exposition dialogues.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

How about a "breaking news" style film, done entirely like a 1.5 to 2 hour block of news of the monster returning to wreck havoc. You'd have various reporters telling you what's going on while you see the monster doing its thing and fighting the military in the back ground. The main character could be a reporter not unlike Yuri's role during the final battle of GMK where she's caught in the center of the carnage, but also with her cameraman, and neither wants to stop reporting as they struggle to survive. So you'd have intercuts of the station newscasters trying to hold the story together until they resume broadcasting, possibly aboard military evacuation vehicles and such and getting interviews from soldiers and such that could have gotten separated from their units.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

ROMG4 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:43 am

You laugh, but this honestly isn't a bad idea. I sort of glossed over it, but the way we use phones and cameras is completely different than how we use them in 2007. It's crazy to think, but Cloverfeild really was the cut off point for found footage with a basic ass camera, without a detailed explanation of why they weren't just using their phones. A not so bad idea for a sequel, if they decided to continue the FF route, would be the integration of social media and the likes during one of these events. It's the type of thing that if handled poorly (ie those darkweb/scary internet movies) will seem gimmicky and cringey. If handled well though it could be some good social satire, and allow for a ton of fun.
Funnily enough, I half-jokingly pitched to my friends a new Monsterverse Kong story about a YouTuber Denham expy going to Skull Island with a friend group (to cash in on the success of San Francisco and Boston POVs) and the resulting found footage chaos (such as a Skullcrawler attack from first person thanks to the camera being wegded in it's teeth).....
Mac Daddy MM wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:43 am How about a "breaking news" style film, done entirely like a 1.5 to 2 hour block of news of the monster returning to wreck havoc. You'd have various reporters telling you what's going on while you see the monster doing its thing and fighting the military in the back ground. The main character could be a reporter not unlike Yuri's role during the final battle of GMK where she's caught in the center of the carnage, but also with her cameraman, and neither wants to stop reporting as they struggle to survive. So you'd have intercuts of the station newscasters trying to hold the story together until they resume broadcasting, possibly aboard military evacuation vehicles and such and getting interviews from soldiers and such that could have gotten separated from their units.
Ooooooh. I love this. REC with kaiju.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maybe a college school trip gone awry mid disaster, all those students recording with their cellphones, obviously by the end they all die, but all their phones are collected into one montage of events similar to the third act of Chronicle.

It'd give us multiple cuts from different perspectives of the monster, which would solve the "we can't see the damn thing" angle people love to complain about in found footage films.

Added in 3 minutes 14 seconds:
Similar to this cut, it's dynamic, but not obvious and can be justified as really good camera cellphones.

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:06 pm Maybe a college school trip gone awry mid disaster, all those students recording with their cellphones, obviously by the end they all die, but all their phones are collected into one montage of events similar to the third act of Chronicle.

It'd give us multiple cuts from different perspectives of the monster, which would solve the "we can't see the damn thing" angle people love to complain about in found footage films.

Similar to this cut, it's dynamic, but not obvious and can be justified as really good camera cellphones.

Ooooh, what's that from?

Wait Chronicle? Okay I'll watch that. But yeah your point remains.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:25 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:06 pm Maybe a college school trip gone awry mid disaster, all those students recording with their cellphones, obviously by the end they all die, but all their phones are collected into one montage of events similar to the third act of Chronicle.

Ooooh, what's that from?

Wait Chronicle? Okay I'll watch that. But yeah your point remains.
Yeah it's one of my favorite found footage films honestly, easily top 3. I'd highly recommend it, the clever dynamic FF angles are some of the smoothest I've seen. Plus the story has some pretty relatable concepts about the responsibility of raw power.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I hope the sequel sheds more light on the underwater origin of the monster, plus the Slusho Company drilling down there.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Anybody want to bet that they'll find an underwater/ground 'hollow earth' type situation full of monsters, and we'll end up getting a forced Cloververse?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

JAGzilla wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:55 am Anybody want to bet that they'll find an underwater/ground 'hollow earth' type situation full of monsters, and we'll end up getting a forced Cloververse?
As opposed to the forced one that already exists, or...?
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

NSZ wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:59 am
JAGzilla wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:55 am Anybody want to bet that they'll find an underwater/ground 'hollow earth' type situation full of monsters, and we'll end up getting a forced Cloververse?
A "Monster Island" happened regardless of the reasoning behind it over the past 70 years.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:38 am
A "Monster Island" happened regardless of the reasoning behind it over the past 70 years.
I know that, I'm mainly questioning Jag's choice of words, as Paradox has already given us a forced Cloververse.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

NSZ wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:59 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:38 am

I know that, I'm mainly questioning Jag's choice of words, as Paradox has already given us a forced Cloververse.
Ah i completely misconstrued your og point, gotcha I agree with you 100% lol
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I could honestly see this being a vs. movie that leads up to the human cast investigating exactly where the monsters are coming from. Although i'm expecting Clover to stay solo here tbh.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maybe a different kaiju is spotted in the Adirondack mountains above NY, awakened by Clover and the nukes in NYC

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Something tells me they don't want to blatantly ripoff the MonsterVerse.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Finally sat down and watched Cloverfield Paradox--this is the third space station film I've seen in as many days, the others being Love and Life. I thought it was entertaining on the whole, although like those two movies, this one is rather dour in the ending. In this case, making the morally-correct choice turns out to be the arguably more pointless one (much like The Mist). And I guess using "the fabric of reality was torn" as an explanation for every inexplicable thing in the film is the sci-fi version of just saying "magic." And the cameo at the end...huh.