The Cloverfield Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Re: The Cloverfield Thread

Post by Lesko »

I am definitely eagerly anticipating the planned Cloverfield entry coming up. Cloverfield is probably my favorite American "kaiju" series. Moreso than Pacific Rim. I liked Paradox even though it was crazy. The original is my favorite of the bunch. Clover is a kaiju that imo gets overlooked too much and could use another entry and some exposure along with it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

The long awaited Cloverfield follow-up officially has a writer and director.

https://www.ign.com/articles/new-clover ... evelopment

Added in 9 minutes 3 seconds:
A secondary source.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/373 ... directing/
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Hopefully, the new Clover will be given another kaiju to fight.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Leviarex wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:09 am Hopefully, the new Clover will be given another kaiju to fight.
Yeah, one with tiny arms and huge ass daddy long leg-like legs.

I just hope it's good and we get some decent merch for it. NECA Clover would be awesome.
Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Garzon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Garzon »

I think it’s for the best that they steer clear of kaiju fights. No point in turning this franchise into another monster smackdown.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I hope they reconsider using found footage again. It wouldn't feel like a true sequel without it. (unless they go with the 10 Cloverfield lane tone)
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Garzon wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:40 pm I think it’s for the best that they steer clear of kaiju fights. No point in turning this franchise into another monster smackdown.
I agree.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

If it's found-footage I am out, I couldn't make it through the first one mostly due to that and the unlikable cast didn't do it any favors.

I am looking more forward to ''The MEG 2: The Trench'' and would rather have a Rampage 2 then another Cloverfield.

That being said I am always game for another monster movie, but I think they waited to long for a proper follow up for general audiences to really give a damn anymore.

Plus JJ Abrams being involved in any compacity doesn't add too much optimism for the project.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:04 pm If it's found-footage I am out, I couldn't make it through the first one mostly due to that and the unlikable cast didn't do it any favors.

I am looking more forward to ''The MEG 2: The Trench'' and would rather have a Rampage 2 then another Cloverfield.

That being said I am always game for another monster movie, but I think they waited to long for a proper follow up for general audiences to really give a damn anymore.

Plus JJ Abrams being involved in any compacity doesn't add too much optimism for the project.
What was unlikable about the first film cast?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:55 pm
What was unlikable about the first film cast?
I just found myself not actually caring about any of them from what I recall, it's been a while since I even attempted to view it again. I was a much bigger fan of 10 Cloverfield Lane to be honest. Still haven't seen the third installment as I heard it was awful.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

In a recent interview Reeves claims Cloverfield 2 will focus on a virus, probably the one spread by the parasites in the first film. The film will be heavily inspired by COVID pandemic.

https://gizmodo.com/cloverfield-4-monst ... 1849997272
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:11 pm In a recent interview Reeves claims Cloverfield 2 will focus on a virus, probably the one spread by the parasites in the first film. The film will be heavily inspired by COVID pandemic.

Huh? Assuming that it's true, I'm not sure how to feel about that. 10 Cloverfield Lane nicely captured feelings of unease and isolation during a bad time. That film aready did a decent enough job of capturing the feeling of the pandemic funnily enough. I guess I could see it from the angle of "Cloverfield adressed 9/11, now we'll address Covid", but it's still a little underwhelming. For whatever reason, I assumed a Cloverfield 2 would feature the big Clover Monster in some capacity.

Important to say though that Reeves speaks in a lot of vague "woulds and coulds". Seems more speculative than anything definitive.

Unrelated, but apparently Reeves directly stated what the original monster was too: an alien life-form that fell to earth in the climax and was looking for it's mother. Makes sense and isn't too hard to figure out knowing a few specific context clues.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:22 pm
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:11 pm In a recent interview Reeves claims Cloverfield 2 will focus on a virus, probably the one spread by the parasites in the first film. The film will be heavily inspired by COVID pandemic.

Huh? Assuming that it's true, I'm not sure how to feel about that. 10 Cloverfield Lane nicely captured feelings of unease and isolation during a bad time. That film aready did a decent enough job of capturing the feeling of the pandemic funnily enough. I guess I could see it from the angle of "Cloverfield adressed 9/11, now we'll address Covid", but it's still a little underwhelming. For whatever reason, I assumed a Cloverfield 2 would feature the big Clover Monster in some capacity.

Important to say though that Reeves speaks in a lot of vague "woulds and coulds". Seems more speculative than anything definitive.

Unrelated, but apparently Reeves directly stated what the original monster was too: an alien life-form that fell to earth in the climax and was looking for it's mother. Makes sense and isn't too hard to figure out knowing a few specific context clues.
The cloverfield monster has more origins than Godzilla at this point and we have 12 different Godzillas.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Yeah I’d rather keep big Clovie’s origin multiple choice. But I always went with the theory that it crashed here billions of years ago and was in hibernation or growing over the course of history. Therefore being both a natural entity by way of existing on Earth long before any of us, yet also being alien in where it came from.

Don’t know how to feel about the idea of “a virus” being the main subject of Cloverfield 2. Like LSD said we already got the idea of seclusion from 10CL, and the tacked on Paradox ending felt like a half-baked attempt at fan service. So if they plan another one of those “watch the last minute of the movie for the monster” I will not be entirely invested.

Added in 17 minutes 17 seconds:
Someone over on the Cloverfield Reddit basically stated what a lot of fans including myself are thinking with the comments from Reeves.

“ So I guess f#ck the ARG lol. That's the problem with Cloverfield, three people were involved (Abrams, Reeves, Goddard) and none of them can keep their story straight. The ARG was clearly stating that Clover was an underwater creature under the sea bed and had been sleeping for thousands of years. The Chuai station was built on top of him to extract sea bed nectar for Slusho while studying the creature. NATO found out about it and they went missing presumably killed because they knew too much. The whistleblower part of the ARG had mails from a Tagruato employee exposing them for knowing about the monster and sharing sonar images of Clover under the ground. It was never specified if it was an alien or a straight forward unknown sea creature but either way, it has been on earth long before it woke up.

As far as the thing falling off the sky, JJ confirmed years ago it was Tagruato's satellite and it wasn't related to the incident, just an Easter egg for people who followed the ARG. Plus, if I remember right, the dates don't even match up with the Chuai incident. JJ already messed all that up with Paradox and now Reeves comes out contradicting it even more. If there's anything I want out of Cloverfield 2, it's for them to figure out one freaking canon once and for all instead of changing it every few years with statements based on their personal vision or last minute spin offs. I won't be taking any statement seriously until they do.”
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JJ and Revees have different canons for the Monster, it seems. I still don't know why it's taking so long to get the sequel out because the best idea for a sequel was the same attack from other people recording in different parts of New York.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:22 pm JJ and Revees have different canons for the Monster, it seems. I still don't know why it's taking so long to get the sequel out because the best idea for a sequel was the same attack from other people recording in different parts of New York.
Would be also cool to just have it be a direct continuation. Keep in mind the entireity of the events in Cloverfield occur over the span of an evening and early morning, so it's possible.

For example, maybe someone in a nearby city (Philadelphia, Boston, Washington DC even) is doing some sort of found footage project BEFORE the initial attack. It could start out innoucous, before shifting to a later time in the night where some 9/11 type disaster is unfolding. Keep in mind the military, could've kept the actual monster under wraps. The film was set in 2008, and while phones were still common, it was a completely different landscape than today when something would immediately be known.

Waking up, the monster weakened, has entered a new city where the main characters are and the parasites/virus is spreading.

Not saying any of this as anything definitive, but it's not impossible to literally just continue the found footage stuff the next day. Maybe the film starts out at the same time as the OG film, but maybe 20-30 minutes continues the narrative into the next morning.

Ah well, Cloverfield is my favorite Western monster film, and I loved 10 Cloverfield Lane. As long as it's not some BS like Paradox, I'll be happy.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly, considering how Clover was kinda hinted to be an alien being, maybe a future installment could explore where it came from? Like, a group of astronauts use hyperspace or something to get to a neighboring star system, and there's just a bunch of giant, freaky monsters running around. They don't really even need to look far for what they could look like, just use some concept art for the first movie.

And of course, the best one. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Only thing I don't like about how Reeve's claims it crashed into the sea so recently kinda craps on a lot of the ARG, which I'd still like to see a movie tackle some of that.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

Godzillakuj94 wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:29 pm Only thing I don't like about how Reeve's claims it crashed into the sea so recently kinda craps on a lot of the ARG, which I'd still like to see a movie tackle some of that.
Eh, the ARG's been completely irrelevant since well before this interview.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Just want to share that Cloverfield has a magic place in my heart and has had a substantial impact on me. It was around the time I started using the internet on a near-daily basis and coicidentally right around the time I discovered Tohokingdom.

I remember being in theaters and actually seeing the original teaser. II forget which movie they played it in front of (maybe I am Legend?) but it was awwesome. At the time, I don't know why I thought this exactly, but I thought it was Orga. I recall there's a moment where a claw/part of Clover's hand is briefly shown and I legitimately thought it was Orga. I got sucked into searching the web for all sorts of theories, and was so engrained by the "something has found us" slogan and poster I got really sucked in.

I remember the days at looking at things like this all day...on my school computer lol.
Spoiler:
I have no idea how I managed to pull it off, but I somehow convinced my Mother to take me to see Cloverfield opening day.

Since Godzilla 2014, it's been a priority to see films like this first thing I can. I've seen Godzilla 2014, K:SI, KOTM, Godzilla vs. Kong, and Shin Ultraman day one in theaters (Shin too if you count the western release). But, I sort of forget that Cloverfield was part of that trend, even if I didn't conciously know it at the time. Cloverfield came out in a pretty critical time peroid for me, and I absolutely love it.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.