General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by shadowgigan »

Probably a long shot, but has anyone on this board actually seen Gamera 4: Truth? I read it was screened at G-Fest 2014.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:56 pm Probably a long shot, but has anyone on this board actually seen Gamera 4: Truth? I read it was screened at G-Fest 2014.
I've always wondered if it's any good or not, though I do love the ambiguity of G3's ending.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:00 pm
shadowgigan wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:56 pm Probably a long shot, but has anyone on this board actually seen Gamera 4: Truth? I read it was screened at G-Fest 2014.
I've always wondered if it's any good or not, though I do love the ambiguity of G3's ending.
Yes, I've read a couple Janese reviews, but wanted to get a Western fan's perspective for some reason. I know Kaneko has praised the film's writing.

AtomicTurtlePod
Young Farmer

Post by AtomicTurtlePod »

Hey, kaiju fans! Matt here. I recently started a podcast where I'll be reviewing each of the movies in the Gamera series. If you have a favorite, and a microphone, I'm on the lookout for some guest hosts. The first episode is available on pretty much every major podcast streaming service if you want to check it out.

Peace out!

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

^^ I'd be down to appear.

Currently have Gamera The Brave playing in the background while I study. Strange how this film seems to have been largely forgotten, even within the kaiju fandom.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

GTB is such a gem. I got the set but haven't popped that one in since I haven't seen it in years, and I'm saving it for a special day.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

shadowgigan wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:38 pm ^^ I'd be down to appear.

Currently have Gamera The Brave playing in the background while I study. Strange how this film seems to have been largely forgotten, even within the kaiju fandom.
I (kinda) disagree. I feel it was mostly ignored at the time, but has steadily built up a rep as time has passed.

I think it's great!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The film may have been a commercial failure, but it's not forgotten by fans.

I recently watched the first Gamera film, Gamera: Giant Monster. This film isn't my favorite of the series, but it does a good job setting up the feel of the series. You have the kid, the innovative, and sometimes weird, plans for stopping the kaiju, and the talky scientist. The first couple of sequels follow the formula, but then they get more kidcentric, which I understand as they were the target audience.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

I watched Gamera vs. Barugon yesterday in celebration of its 55th Anniversary. It was my first time watching the uncut Japanese version, and I really enjoyed it. I didn't have any problems with the pacing or anything like that. Also, now that I finally saw it completely in the original aspect ratio and HD, I could really see and appreciate the vibrant colors.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

So...found this on /m/. Apparently a new Gamera trilogy is being considered?

https://mobile.twitter.com/hg95_info/st ... 7412667397
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:04 pm So...found this on /m/. Apparently a new Gamera trilogy is being considered?

Please happen! PLEASE HAPPEN! OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE HAPPEN I NEED MY GAMERA-

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Maverick Centigrade wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:04 pm So...found this on /m/. Apparently a new Gamera trilogy is being considered?

No...

No please. My heart can't take it if this proves to be false.

Let this be real. Gamera NEEDS to return!
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Please for the love of all that is good and pure please let this be fucking real.
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

That event is thanking fans for coming to a Gamera event they just had. Think of it as a special event to talk with Kaneko.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:47 pm That event is thanking fans for coming to a Gamera event they just had. Think of it as a special event to talk with Kaneko.
Except it says:
(令和ガメラの)

Reiwa Gamera^^

Kaneko just said he had some ideas for new Gamera/Reiwa Gamera. However, I would not take this as confirmation. A couple of years ago when I saw him at the Godzilla night, he had,”ideas for Godzilla vs Gamera”.

Still, the fact that he’s talking about Gamera, and monsters are super popular right now might mean something. I’d just wait for a more official announcement.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:41 pm
miguelnuva wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:47 pm That event is thanking fans for coming to a Gamera event they just had. Think of it as a special event to talk with Kaneko.
Except it says:
(令和ガメラの)

Reiwa Gamera^^

Kaneko just said he had some ideas for new Gamera/Reiwa Gamera. However, I would not take this as confirmation. A couple of years ago when I saw him at the Godzilla night, he had,”ideas for Godzilla vs Gamera”.

Still, the fact that he’s talking about Gamera, and monsters are super popular right now might mean something. I’d just wait for a more official announcement.
Other comments are talking about how cool the event was, and can't wait for the next.

LSD you're in Japan can you shed any more light?
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I've kind of been following these events on Twitter, would love to attend something like this one day. Id love to see Kaneko return to the helm, but it would also be interesting to see a new director.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If Kaneko does make another kaiju film, I'll definitely see it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

edgaguirus wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:51 pm If Kaneko does make another kaiju film, I'll definitely see it.
Oh for sure. Id be overjoyed to wake up to the news of him directing a new Gamera movie

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm fine either way. More Kaneko or a new director, as long as we're getting new Gamera. And, you know, ideally it'll be good.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio