Old Dinosaur Related Movies/Shows

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Old Dinosaur Related Movies/Shows

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Ah Crater Lake Monster. Don't know about you guys but that's a guilty pleasure of mine. I guess you could say that's because it is the only known killer plesiosaur movie to my knowledge.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Ah Crater Lake Monster. Don't know about you guys but that's a guilty pleasure of mine. I guess you could say that's because it is the only known killer plesiosaur movie to my knowledge.
There's Larry Buchanan's THE LOCH NESS HORROR and BENEATH LOCH NESS...

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

H-Man wrote:There's Larry Buchanan's THE LOCH NESS HORROR and BENEATH LOCH NESS...
Man I forgotten about those two I forgot they existed... :lol:

Thanks.

TheRedKing1979
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRedKing1979 »

Adventures in Dinosaur City

and

Theodore Rex

if youve not seen these 90s dinosaur movies you cannot call yourself a dinosaur lover
Last edited by TheRedKing1979 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member formerly known as wataru.
Proud American. Southerner. Centrist.
Godzilla vs Biollante (1989) is easily the best Godzilla movie, ever.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Bumping this thread with fantastic news: Full Moon Entertainment is releasing Prehysteria on Blu-Ray finally!

For those who didn't grow up with this film, it's pretty basic: a family finds prehistoric eggs that hatch into tiny dinosaurs that cause mischief. Like I said, fairly standard but still a lot of fun for the dinosaur crazed kids of the 90's. For nearly all it's life it's been VHS-only, which is why this news is exciting.

Full Moon said on their website that they're gonna release other Moonbeam Entertainment (which is Full Moon's family label) movies in the near future.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

In this day and age, we deserve more dinosaur movies other than Jurassic Park. Superheroes are starting to overstay their welcome.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

LegendZilla wrote:Dinosaur movies other than Jurassic Park deserve a comeback.
Part of me wishes that there was a big budget remake of Carbosaur, Dinosaurus, or Gwangi.

Added in 20 seconds:
Part of me wishes that there was a big budget remake of Carbosaur, Dinosaurus, or Gwangi.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

TyrantGojira wrote:

Added in 20 seconds:
Likewise I wish that Jurassic Park/World didn't have the monopoly on the prehistoric mayhem either. Top of the list is a more serious adaptation of the Topps' Card property, DINOSAURS ATTACK ! .
Or a big screen adaptation of DC Comics tales from G.I. COMBAT, or WIERD WAR TALES , The War Time Forgot !.
A story of basically "Soldiers versus Dinosaurs" set in any era. Either like in the original with American G.I.s during the Second World War investigating a previously uncharted island in the Pacific for possible use as a strategic position against the Japanese. Only to find it inhabited by all sorts of dinosaurs, and having to fight for their lives to get off.
Last edited by The One and Only on Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

The Dinosaur Project is a fairly solid film

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

UltramanGoji wrote:Bumping this thread with fantastic news: Full Moon Entertainment is releasing Prehysteria on Blu-Ray finally!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QW-JMCoHHI

For those who didn't grow up with this film, it's pretty basic: a family finds prehistoric eggs that hatch into tiny dinosaurs that cause mischief. Like I said, fairly standard but still a lot of fun for the dinosaur crazed kids of the 90's. For nearly all it's life it's been VHS-only, which is why this news is exciting.

Full Moon said on their website that they're gonna release other Moonbeam Entertainment (which is Full Moon's family label) movies in the near future.
Hope that means they'll release Dragonworld on bluray.
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

TyrantGojira wrote:

Added in 20 seconds:
You'd think that with Jurassic World as successful as it was, another studio would try making a faithful adaptation to the Carnosaur novel.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

H-Man wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Ah Crater Lake Monster. Don't know about you guys but that's a guilty pleasure of mine. I guess you could say that's because it is the only known killer plesiosaur movie to my knowledge.
There's Larry Buchanan's THE LOCH NESS HORROR and BENEATH LOCH NESS...
Toei's Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds, featuring a plesiosaur and rhamphorhynchus, is a crazy one.
LegendZilla wrote:In this day and age, we deserve more dinosaur movies other than Jurassic Park. Superheroes are starting to overstay their welcome.
We need Devil Dinosaur!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

There are definitely plans for a Kazar/Savage Land movie. Nothing officially greenlit but Feige has had it on the back burner ever since the MCU has been a thing. I think that'd be the best place to introduce Devil Dinosaur before spinning off into his own film or Disney+ series.

Added in 8 minutes 17 seconds:
Here's something for you guys! Officially licensed DVDs of the old Gary Owens/Eric Boardman dinosaur docu-fiction shows of the late 80s.

https://www.more-dinosaurs.com/
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:There are definitely plans for a Kazar/Savage Land movie. Nothing officially greenlit but Feige has had it on the back burner ever since the MCU has been a thing. I think that'd be the best place to introduce Devil Dinosaur before spinning off into his own film or Disney+ series.
Fan speculation about Ka-Zar, and his place in the MCU has been around since IRON MAN 2 when tony was looking through his father's journals, and we saw a hand drawn map of Antarctica. Leaving some to think that elder Stark, Howard, knew about the lost land, and its inhabitants. Presumably during his time at S.H.I.E.L.D., and even locate another supply of Vibranium where in the Marvel Comic continuity the wonder element is also located. I was thinking this is what the next Black Panther flick could possibly deal with. On the subject of Devil Dinosaur, we might be seeing a Moon Girl & Devil Dinosaur flick down the line. More than likely though I could see a Disney+ series in the cards though.
I've also been partial to see a SHANNA:THE SHE-DEVIL solo flick also.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Yeah I think we have a better chance at an all encompassing Savage Land film. At least as a means to introduce it to canon before expanding to other properties.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dinosaur media could be potentially revitalized if someone came up with a new and unique way to explain how the dinosaurs are present. In stuff such as The Lost World, King Kong, The Land that Time forgot etc, the dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures are discovered by unsuspecting explorers in uncharted valleys, islands, continents and such. Starting with the 80’s and 90’s, it became popularized for dinosaurs to be brought back via cloning and genetically engineering as seen with the likes of Jurassic Park and the aforementioned Carnosaur.

My idea for how dinosaurs could appear is that an accident occurs with an experimental time machine, leading to a malfunction in the time-space continuum. As a result, dinosaurs and countless other long-extinct animals overrun civilization like a zombie apocalypse.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Got a couple of old and obscure ones in my collection that you guys might not know of.

The Beast of Hollow Mountain (1956)

This was based on a scripted by O'Brien, though I do not no if this was the same script that would become Gwangi but it's likely. The film was made by a Mexican company and Harryhausen had no part in it.

Tyranno's Claw a.k.a 10 Million B.C. a.k.a Dinosaurs vs Cavemen (1994)

A South Korean film that uses the animatronics and guys in suits. It's made in a similur vain to One Million B.C. and the whole film is available on youtube.

and on the comic front, 2000AD's Flesh. The best dinosaur comic stories ever!

Last edited by Monster X on Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

LegendZilla wrote:Dinosaur media could be potentially revitalized if someone came up with a new and unique way to explain how the dinosaurs are present. In stuff such as The Lost World, King Kong, The Land that Time forgot etc, the dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures are discovered by unsuspecting explorers in uncharted valleys, islands, continents and such. Starting with the 80’s and 90’s, it became popularized for dinosaurs to be brought back via cloning and genetically engineering as seen with the likes of Jurassic Park and the aforementioned Carnosaur.

My idea for how dinosaurs could appear is that an accident occurs with an experimental time machine, leading to a malfunction in the time-space continuum. As a result, dinosaurs and countless other long-extinct animals overrun civilization like a zombie apocalypse.
Something like that sort of happens in The Sound of Thunder, although instead of dinosaurs, we get lizard-baboons, bat monsters and giant eels. That film also suffers from probably the worst CGI seen in a theatrically-released movie.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

When it comes to old school Dinosaurs I always loved Turok Son of Stone. The original series from the 1960s. Something about old school native Americans fighting dinosaurs with bow and arrows and tomahawks was just so cool.

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

Ok I’ve got an intreasting one for you all. The first work of fiction to include Dinosaurs.

While the novel Journey to the Centre of the Earth was written before this, that novel actual contains no dinosaurs but other types of prehistoric life. Beyond the Great South Wall was published in 1901, beating the Lost World by 11 years.